KARE 11 to get a New Set

roscoryan

The interview areas are nice and but the "home base" anchor part of the set in very underwhelming and that desk is too small! I wonder if they will be building a kitchen set in the blank space with the lights hanging above it,to the left of this photo again(where it was on the old set),because on the 4pm show,Diana Pierce said something about them having to "commandeer" a table for the food segment and that they will get their kitchen back at some point.

http://www.kare11.com/life/diy-chips-for-healthy-snacking/22670687

1153525719_CZnmnpGXEAA-qzV.jpglarge.thumb.jpg.dbe2ddf6a50f24587626812fa76494a6.jpg

The interview areas are nice and but the "home base" anchor part of the set in very underwhelming and that desk is too small! I wonder if they will be building a kitchen set in the blank space with the lights hanging above it,to the left of this photo again(where it was on the old set),because on the 4pm show,Diana Pierce said something about them having to "commandeer" a table for the food segment and that they will get their kitchen back at some point.

http://www.kare11.com/life/diy-chips-for-healthy-snacking/22670687

Yep. That's where. I heard it on one of the Facetime videos.

And this is what KUSA will be getting. A local met and I thought that KMGH had the worst set in the market. This just proves us wrong. Like the KMGH anchors got tired of standing, so will the KUSA anchors.

Comments on Facebook aren't terribly supportive, though most viewers don't care.

Thinking more about this - the main anchor area feels like they're broadcasting in the lobby of an office building and plopped down a small table and TV monitors for the remote shoot. Imposing walls just aren't made for television. Wonder what experience the set builders had.

I'm surprised to see all this negative reaction. I think it's impressive they used real materials to construct it as opposed to building something that's designed to end up in the dumpster in five years like what happens elsewhere. There are a few issues, but the more I see it, the more I like that it's clearly designed to be a permanent space in keeping with the rest of the building.

Thinking more about this - the main anchor area feels like they're broadcasting in the lobby of an office building and plopped down a small table and TV monitors for the remote shoot. Imposing walls just aren't made for television. Wonder what experience the set builders had.

Funny you mentioned that. Per NewscastStudio, the set was designed by local architect and developer Alex Duval, who at one time wanted to build an 80-story skyscraper in downtown Minneapolis that would have included a new TV Studio for KARE 11.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/blog/real_estate/2014/12/kare11-tv-studio-downtown-minneapolis-tower-duval.html

I'll give them an A for effort in going the local route by doing things in-house, but this is the kind of job you would want give to someone who has expertise in broadcast design.

It all just looks... sad. The monitor wall is shrunken; 55" TVs are just not big enough for that look. It does look like some high quality materials, but the cohesive design just looks dinky. And the desk... why?

It'll start looking like hell in three years.

The set cost more than the cameras.

I hope it looks more substantial on TV than it does in this shot

[MEDIA=twitter]691741861489147905[/MEDIA]

Gannett had always been cheap when it comes to sets, but this is a new low even for them. The NewscastStudio write-up says it was done in-house with the help of an architect, and it shows. Can someone tell me what an architect knows about set design and why would you risk hiring one for your larger market stations? I hope for KING's sake they don't take the same knucklehead approach, as that market has had KIRO and KOMO both executing high-end kick ass sets recently. This on-air look has got to be a black eye for the management brain trust at Tegna.

That explains it why it looks like a building lobby...a skyscraper architect with zero broadcast design experience driving the vision.

I think KARE has done in-house work before - their mid 90s - mid 2000s set I think was an in house piece.

But adding the architect to the mix to innovate without a grounding in what works and doesn't on the TV screen was a mistake, even if well intended.

Also explains why it took so long to construct.

Interestingly enough this sounds like a situation where TEGNA corporate gave them lots of leeway. The GM has been at KARE since the 80s, so has the news director. So it's not like a bunch of suits came into town and dictated the set.

It's just poorly composed all around.

That explains it why it looks like a building lobby...a skyscraper architect with zero broadcast design experience driving the vision.

I think KARE has done in-house work before - their mid 90s - mid 2000s set I think was an in house piece.

But adding the architect to the mix to innovate without a grounding in what works and doesn't on the TV screen was a mistake, even if well intended.

Also explains why it took so long to construct.

Interestingly enough this sounds like a situation where TEGNA corporate gave them lots of leeway. The GM has been at KARE since the 80s, so has the news director. So it's not like a bunch of suits came into town and dictated the set.

It's just poorly composed all around.

There's a corporate CSD who is overseeing all of the set & graphic roll-outs for Tegna, so I would say they are driving the boat but letting the stations ring the bell from time to time. Welcome to the new creative decision making model for the foreseeable future.

I'm surprised to see all this negative reaction. I think it's impressive they used real materials to construct it as opposed to building something that's designed to end up in the dumpster in five years like what happens elsewhere. There are a few issues, but the more I see it, the more I like that it's clearly designed to be a permanent space in keeping with the rest of the building.

Meh. Local materials be damned. If it looks sad, it's still sad. WCCO did it better three years ago.

KSTP's set is even more plain.

[ATTACH=full]2588[/ATTACH]

Not so. What it lacks in material diversity, it makes up for scale and intimacy. The KARE set looks like something like a high-end boutique in a mall would create and upon the desk would be where clothes are displayed. For it's size, the whole set is sterile.

Not so. What it lacks in material diversity, it makes up for scale and intimacy. The KARE set looks like something like a high-end boutique in a mall would create and upon the desk would be where clothes are displayed. For it's size, the whole set is sterile.

I can agree with you on KARE looking like a high-end boutique, but overall not a fan of KSTP's set has to be the worst in the market, KMSP very nice, KARE it nice, but not my taste for a set. WCCO hands down the best in the market. I guess so many stations now have this theme of going "contemporary" theme like it Crate & Barrel. Some of these sets I'm not too impressed.

Scripps seems to have this cookie-cutter look i.e KMGH, KNXV, WCPO, WMAR... While I can say. WXYZ & WEWS went a different route. I kinda wondering what in store for KUSA and other Gannett/Tegna stations. I'm wondering if W*USA is going to get a new set?

Scripps seems to have this cookie-cutter look i.e KMGH, KNXV, WCPO, WMAR... While I can say. WXYZ & WEWS went a different route.

I mentioned once quite a bit ago that Scripps has gone with 4 different companies for their stations' new sets, but despite the different companies, the stations that had a set from said company all look the same.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived