Here we go again... terrorists have struck Paris.

ColDayNews

I can't tell because the bug was in the way but I'm guessing he was going to start talking at 11:01. . [ATTACH=full]2449[/ATTACH]

Spot on. The Steve Handelsman live shot was set for 23:01:00/et

Now, that time doesn't account for any delays in the transmission. I know, for my station, 23:01:00 means 23:01:03 on our clock. 3 second delay on anything that comes down from network.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ABC ran a special report from 730-8pm tonight... WXYZ preempted The List for it.. I don't know if lots of other ABC affiliates picked it up... WDIV aired Jeopardy! At that time which leads me to believe NBC didn't do the same...

NBC had several optional special reports on the feeds I was watching yesterday afternoon. They never aired a mandatory special report. If an NBC affiliate was in Jeopardy, they probably wanted the money from the commercial breaks and they probably wanted to avoid pissing off the blue hairs.

Fox had two or three optional special reports, each lasting quite a long time. Most Fox affiliates wouldn't have taken it though, mostly because most Fox affiliates take relatively few special reports. Most NBC affiliates take most of the optional special reports. You find some that prefer to toss it on their website and live feed on their app.

I saw at least 3 ABC special reports on the feeds I had up. ABC is different than NBC in that they don't have a separate service for special reports and they don't label them optional. It is presumed you will take all of the special reports unless you are in your local news. Some stations will still take them even if they are in their local news.

I didn't have any CBS feeds up yesterday so I didn't notice what they were doing.

They only do it once every 5-8 years, but with how Fox makes you wire your air chain, if Fox network decides that something is big enough to do a mandatory special report (Level 1), they can and will use the splicer to override you and put themselves on your air, no matter what programming you are in. Yesterday obviously didn't rise to that level. I think the last time they used that was the Japan earthquake and tsunami.

Level-1 cut-ins are rare for FOX. I'm pretty sure FOX can override us, as mentioned above. 99% of FOX's cut-ins are level-2 (optional). In some respects, it's easier for us to do the breaking news ourselves (local anchors talking over whatever live feed is available), because have a good chance of being in a newscast anyway.

By the way, KSHB (after NBC cut in prior to 4:00 CST) still led with Gary Pinkel announcing his retirement as Missouri's football coach. The Paris attacks made the end of the A-block on "The Now."

CBC in Canada has been on this since the news broke. They interrupted programming sometime before 8 pm ET to carry a speech from the Prime Minister. The National carried on the coverage at 9 pm and went on hourly repeat the entire night, essentially discarding the entire Friday night / early Saturday morning schedule for most if not all CBC affiliates. Late night local news was also dumped in favor for the repeat.

CTV, Global and Citytv on the other hand? Besides the flagship news programs, don't even bother asking what they were doing.

I don't know about others, but WFLD in Chicago, despite their ineptitude, aired almost 3 and a half hours of Fox's special report during the afternoon.

During events like this when the Fox Broadcasting Network simulcast FNC, do they have different graphics than the not so perfect FNC graphics?

Do the other networks have the ability to "force" a special report on air like Fox does?

It's unique to FOX, as far as I know. None of the other networks (that matter) use the "Splicer" setup. The only thing networks can control at a local level at ABC, CBS, and NBC are the bug/ticker inserters (Brandnet, LIDIA, and Namedropper respectively).

It's unique to FOX, as far as I know. None of the other networks (that matter) use the "Splicer" setup.

Thankfully, this is true.

Edit: I think they can also command the affiliate's satellite receivers to switch services and even move a dish depending on setup. That ensures that they can move you between regional feeds for sports.

Fox is more of a control freak than any of the other networks when it comes to engineering. They can control all kinds of receiver and air chain settings. They're really anal about making sure THEIR product looks the way they want it to look on your air.

I don't know about others, but WFLD in Chicago, despite their ineptitude, aired almost 3 and a half hours of Fox's special report during the afternoon.

Technically, since this was a network override event, they didn't have a choice in the matter. They likely would not have broken in at all given their track record, but at least they (the network) did.

Technically, since this was a network override event, they didn't have a choice in the matter. They likely would not have broken in at all given their track record, but at least they (the network) did.

This was NOT a network override event (a.k.a. level 1 special report). Strictly level 2 (optional).

Now it could be that since they're O&O, network could have called them and told them to take it, but I never heard any red box activity warning of a level 1.

This was NOT a network override event (a.k.a. level 1 special report). Strictly level 2 (optional).

Now it could be that since they're O&O, network could have called them and told them to take it, but I never heard any red box activity warning of a level 1.

Okay...cool your jets. There was no standard intro (of any kind) just a hard cut right into FNC's coverage which would suggest a network override, but who knows (or cares really given the subject matter).

Had the network called them, one would assume WFLD would have had someone say what was happening and then go with FNC's coverage. It didn't happen that way which is somewhat unusual.

Spot on. The Steve Handelsman live shot was set for 23:01:00/et

Now, that time doesn't account for any delays in the transmission. I know, for my station, 23:01:00 means 23:01:03 on our clock. 3 second delay on anything that comes down from network.

WBAL's usually spot on and at the moment the clock strikes 10:59:30 the newscast starts. I'm guessing they thought what ever they wrote would fill that time but they didn't.

It's unique to FOX, as far as I know. None of the other networks (that matter) use the "Splicer" setup. The only thing networks can control at a local level at ABC, CBS, and NBC are the bug/ticker inserters (Brandnet, LIDIA, and Namedropper respectively).

I've read that some of the network hardware may allow the network to change the "channel" they are receiving

During events like this when the Fox Broadcasting Network simulcast ,FNC, do they have different graphics than the not so perfect FNC graphics?

The graphics are part of FNC's 2010 and 2013 packages. On Fox Broadcast, FNC's "straight-news" anchors (i.e. Patti Anne Browne, Jon Scott, Gregg Jarrett, Bill Hemmer, Arthel Neville, Harris Faulkner, etc.) will anchor an event during the day while Shep anchors for primetime. Some circumstances (such as the Iran nuke deal announcement) will require an FNC simulcast.

Meanwhile, all three network anchors (Holt, Pelley, Muir) are in Paris and did tonight's newscasts there, as well as Peter Mansbridge (CBC; no sign of Lisa LaFlamme (CTV) or Dawna Friesen (Global), so he's the only Canadian anchor present), Huw Edwards (BBC), Kay Burley (Sky), and Tom Bradby (ITV) on the international front. Oh, and Anderson Cooper, too.

A few local anchors may have caught flights to Paris as well; I wouldn't be surprised if Justin Farmer and/or Russ Spencer are already there.

Meanwhile, all three network anchors (Holt, Pelley, Muir) are in Paris and did tonight's newscasts there, as well as Peter Mansbridge (CBC; no sign of Lisa LaFlamme (CTV) or Dawna Friesen (Global), so he's the only Canadian anchor present), Huw Edwards (BBC), Kay Burley (Sky), and Tom Bradby (ITV) on the international front. Oh, and Anderson Cooper, too.

A few local anchors may have caught flights to Paris as well; I wouldn't be surprised if Justin Farmer and/or Russ Spencer are already there.

Is it sweeps in Canada also???

as well as Peter Mansbridge (CBC; no sign of Lisa LaFlamme (CTV) or Dawna Friesen (Global), so he's the only Canadian anchor present)

CBC's Mansbridge and CTV's LaFlamme is definitely there, Global's Friesen is not.

Is it sweeps in Canada also???

The CTV stations has been airing special promos on their local investigative content so I guess sweeps are in right now? Not sure.

I don't think they were trying to switch to the WCBS feed, rather the text just shows where the color bars/signal is originating from.

WBAL turned to a generic live hit from News Channel a little early and got the the audio of Steve Handelsman talking to his producers. After the producers at WBAL realized it would be a few more seconds before he would start talking they rolled the prefed package. I can't tell because the bug was in the way but I'm guessing he was going to start talking at 11:01. . [ATTACH=full]2449[/ATTACH]

oh ok. i remember now.

Archived