A new set is coming for WHBQ FOX 13.

TheRolyPoly

Watch this presentation on how Cox will revitalize WHBQ 13 with plans to include a new set in the new year. But if you're asking what the new set will be like? The old WFTV. That's all I gotta say. Enjoy!

[MEDIA=vimeo]146788831[/MEDIA]

(Video courtesy of Scott Jones from FTVLive)

Isn't that "new" set just WFTV's old set??

Pretty much, although there may be some tweaks done to it since Studio A doesn't have much space to utilize, and I'm not sure how big Studio B is exactly (since it's only been used for kitchen and performance shots in addition to the occasional phone banks).

Come to think of it, it kind of has a bit more wood than necessary on a mid-2010s news set. FWIW, they're putting the money into fixing the rat trap studios on Highland Street. If that's the case, then I'll take a hand-me-down set over a crumbling studio.

I guess I understand, but why not keep what they have and refurbish it as opposed to an ancient looking new set? Is it because of the O& branding?

Their Blyth-designed set has not aged well even with the modifications made over the years (they were the first station to receive the total O&O look when Fox started standardizing their stations). Some areas no longer work like they used to, including several CRTs behind the frosted plexiglass. While the set they're getting next year will be second-hand from WFTV, it has good bones and would likely not require much maintenance as their current one does (especially since Blyth no longer exists).

• 3 months later...
So are they really going to use that other station's old set? I hope they at least try to update it a bit.

Let's hope they sanitize it first, because crusty old news is not considered a patina finish.

• 1 month later...

WHBQ is on their new set as of tonight. Watch the live stream here:

http://fox13memphis.com/live-stream

It's not the WFTV set that we thought they were getting, but something completely different.

EDIT: It is WFTV's set; however, they did a complete overhaul to it with a lot of new stuff (i.e. new desk, weather center, monitors, paint, etc.). A lot better than expected.

Here's a look at WHBQ's new set.

[GALLERY=media, 788]WHBQ new set weather by RGSJenkins posted Apr 25, 2016 at 12:03 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 789]WHBQ new set by RGSJenkins posted Apr 25, 2016 at 12:05 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 790]WHBQ new set by RGSJenkins posted Apr 25, 2016 at 12:06 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 791]WHBQ new set by RGSJenkins posted Apr 25, 2016 at 12:07 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 792]WHBQ new set by RGSJenkins posted Apr 25, 2016 at 12:08 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 793]WHBQ new set by RGSJenkins posted Apr 25, 2016 at 12:09 AM[/GALLERY]

More on the changes made to the main studio via Valerie Calhoun on WHBQ's Facebook page:

My only complaint about the new set is the lighting in the studio as everything looks darker than how it's supposed to be on air.

EDIT: Also of note, based on observation, Z Space Creative was involved in the refresh of WFTV's old set for WHBQ to use as their new one. You can tell by the design of the news desk itself, which is strikingly identical to the one on WFTV's current set (except for the massive monitor in the front).

Archived