New Set for WSB Coming Soon?

toxictwister00

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Keep in mind that WSB has always had ok sets....never any game changers when it came to sets, however they have always invested in other tools such as personnel, live trucks, they have two choppers.

I really like this set and can't wait to see it on the air

I agree with you. I still think the look fits the station very nicely. In my opinion, WSB has always taken the safe approach to change. They don't believe in making jarring changes...and honestly there is no need to. It works well for them and they continue to hold their dominance.There really isn't a need for them to go over the top. How are they able to maintain that and keep viewers? You highlighted it. The station relies on the quality of its newscast and the continuity of it's talent... and they work well together. WPVI in Philadelphia is another station that tends to dominate its market for the same reason.

It's a decent set for the market size of Atlanta but within 2 years I believe it will start to age. I thought they're previous set looked decent to be 9 years old and only thought they needed to refresh it.

Yep...

All that hard news can take it's toll on a set. Not to mention those ice storms and inconsiderate sports people.

I hope they got the Scotch Guard.

It's not a bad looking set... But yeah I'd have to see it fully in action to get a good feel for it...

They could also use a graphics update, but I have a sinking feeling that won't happen... They just look dated

WSB's graphics have aged well in my opinion, I'd like a new graphics package as well but I don't think it will happen. They updated the L3's this past summer, so that has helped keeping the package up to date. The thing to remember about WSB is that they don't like to rock the boat, when they do upgrades they are do it very slowly.

Cox usually keeps their same graphics at stations when they built new sets but tweak them a little, WSB sister station and second flagship of cox WHIO in Dayton will debut their new set later next week and plan on keeping their graphics that debut in March of 2013. Their graphics are recycled version of WBBM 2008 graphics when they switched to HD. Cox usually keeps the same graphics at their stations between 8 to 10 years.

It's not hard to imagine why Channel 2's set redesigns have been evolutionary rather than revolutionary. They know not to mess with success! The set design hasn't changed much since the mid-80s. Their sets have always had a main anchor desk with a cityscape center background with the weather center (generally off to the right).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgxbm4ssQPo

1993 [check at 20:18 to see the Weather Center]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=hceu492zs1g;m=6;s=41

Looks like a nice blend of technology and architecture for WSB whereas Devlin's work at WAGA is a more high-tech electronic, high-energy, FOXified look which fits WAGA. It shows Devlin's ability to design for the clients brand even within the same market, kudos to Devlin and WSB! Makes me wonder why Devlin isn't doing work for broadcast & cable networks, their work is exceptional. At the end of the day it's a great look for two completely different approaches and news philosophies for the Atlanta market, the viewers will decide which product is better. I'd kill for either set. Can't wait to see more, with the Feb book approaching it should be launching soon.

Unfortunately I have to agree. The set is very nice and warm and contemporary. However, this is Atlanta. I may have to actually see it on the air to appreciate it, but it doesn't feel very big market. It reminds me of a cross between KIRO and WBTV, and its a shame when your station in Orlando has a 2 story massive gorgeous set and your flagship in a larger market isn't getting anything mind-blowing, except maybe the track camera thing is cool...

Will it beat WAGA for best set in the market? Yes it will. Will it be the biggest and best set that this market deserves? Not really.

I agree with you, WFTV is the best set in 2015 IMO, and I would want the the flagship station to have WFTV's set. Big, over the top, dramatic, swooping, and from the videos it nice, and the desk is nice, but it not WSB trying to out do WAGA.

The story-telling wall is an interesting part of their new set. Can't wait to see how they fully utilize it as a whole.

While the new set isn't as great as I thought it would be, it is a workable design for a top 10 market, and actually has a lot of innovative stuff that could actually put the other stations to shame (BTW, I think WXIA's set looks like shit compared to the rest, but that's just me).

I think WGCL is more shitty than WXIA. WXIA's set is totally blah, but it definitely nothing to write home about. WGCL/KMOV/KPHO all have that stale contemporary look for a set.

I agree with TVPromoPro. They've done a great job teasing it using social media. Lots of twitter posts from WSB-TV staff and talent with looks at the new set. I thought I would share some here. Also there is an article posted at wsbtv.com

Again, I think the set fits the station's image and look perfectly. KRAP-TV said it well, the station knows not to mess with success. It has worked well for WSB for decades, and they know that there is no need to make drastic and constant changes to their production. It may seem underwhelming for some, but I have a feeling that the production value of their newscasts will go up a few good notches.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Excited! Check out our new home starting tomorrow at 5pm.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/wsbtv?src=hash">#wsbtv</a> <a href="https://t.co/YaC4HLVZTZ">pic.twitter.com/YaC4HLVZTZ</a></p>— Carol Sbarge (@carolsbargeWSB) <a href="[MEDIA=twitter]691708414158880768[/MEDIA]">January 25, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Who's ready for the new home for <a href="https://twitter.com/wsbtv">@wsbtv</a> ? Me! Me! <a href="https://t.co/XT1ytMUiVp">pic.twitter.com/XT1ytMUiVp</a></p>— Misti Turnbull (@mistiwsb) <a href="[MEDIA=twitter]691697390257053696[/MEDIA]">January 25, 2016</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Is this flashy or what? It's the new Severe Weather Center 2 at <a href="https://twitter.com/wsbtv">@wsbtv</a>. See the new set Tues. at 5! <a href="https://t.co/sbmxcNORV0">pic.twitter.com/sbmxcNORV0</a></p>— Tracey Christensen (@tachristensen) <a href="[MEDIA=twitter]691679914609786880[/MEDIA]">January 25, 2016</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">There are also two HUGE video walls that will let us bring you the news like never before! <a href="https://t.co/YO695jl9Ne">pic.twitter.com/YO695jl9Ne</a></p>— Matt Belanger (@MattWSB) <a href="[MEDIA=twitter]691676245659099136[/MEDIA]">January 25, 2016</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">One last view of our new digs... Can't wait to show it off TOMORROW on Channel 2 Action News at 5:00! <a href="https://t.co/ZTh4m8Y2EH">pic.twitter.com/ZTh4m8Y2EH</a></p>— Matt Belanger (@MattWSB) <a href="[MEDIA=twitter]691677130212667394[/MEDIA]">January 25, 2016</a></blockquote>

I didn't see anyone mention this upthread, WABC was way ahead of the game they've had a track cam since they installed their street side set. It does add for a nice perspective and a great way to transition from one area of the studio to another.

Yawn. The "track cam" idea dates to the 90's. WITI's old 1998 set had one. I feel like they stopped moving it shortly before they went HD and then dropped it entirely.

Don't hate me but I'm not to exited for this set. If you squint your eyes a bit, it still resembles the old set. To me if I didn't know the old set was taken down, I'll just call this a refresh with a new desk and a few more monitors. That's why I kinda dislike WSB. They play it too safe all the time. I know they want to make sure not to detour viewers but damn, loosing up a bit. WAGA still has the best set in the market and I hate to say it, I want them to overtake WSB. I'm sorry if it seem like I'm ranting its just I wanted to be wowed.

Don't hate me but I'm not to exited for this set. If you squint your eyes a bit, it still resembles the old set. To me if I didn't know the old set was taken down, I'll just call this a refresh with a new desk and a few more monitors. That's why I kinda dislike WSB. They play it too safe all the time. I know they want to make sure not to detour viewers but damn, loosing up a bit. WAGA still has the best set in the market and I hate to say it, I want them to overtake WSB. I'm sorry if it seem like I'm ranting its just I wanted to be wowed.

Don't feel bad, I take it opinions on the new set are mixed anyway. You make some great points though. The way you feel about the new set is exactly the way I felt about the previous 2006 set, that's largely why I hated it. It resembled the '98 set way too much which made it feel dated from the start for me.

There looks to be a lot more high-tech elements and storytelling venues than previous WSB sets ever had, while the color scheme may have some look and feel similarities to the previous set, most likely by design, the old set was very static in comparison, while the new set should be anything but static in the production values department. I predict that they will ease into it and not try to overwhelm themselves or the ATL viewers , just the same way they teased it to date. Strong work WSB!

To be fair, I saw a post where the new and old are shown side-by-side, and the new one is a vast improvement; an almost night and day difference. They've successfully incorporated familiar elements into the new set, a method that has its pros and cons.

Man, this newscast is unpleasant to watch. I've seen cardboard cut-outs with better delivery and presence. The flow of the newscast is just weird, too. Despite the hype, they're making very little effort to show off the new set (which looks very good), outside of a few panning shots.

Other than old habits, how are they number 1? Am I missing something?

Archived