Boston TV crisis: WHDH and WNEU

TheRolyPoly

I guess that's pretty much the point in this case. Ansin pretty much the best poker player when it comes to TV deals and affiliations. When NBC called him bluff for not selling, he called them bluff for not launching their O&O. So, throwing out the personal biases about the format (which I'm not to liking myself), he'll win regardless.

Because WHDH will be Boston's market leader and have the most hours of news in said market

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WXIA been in 3rd place for most of it history in Atlanta, and KPRC ratings seems to go up and down. Also so with NECN one would think Kenny Plotnik would become the News Director at NBC Boston since he helms over at NECN?

I thought that WXIA and WAGA went back and forth between 2nd and 3rd place for most of Atlanta TV history and that it's only recently that WAGA has been able to pull away into a solid #2 .

That said, I'd think MyNetworkTV, even if it's content with affiliating with a .2 anywhere an "affiliation" is open, would like to be on a main channel in markets like Boston. So a subchannel affiliation with WCVB might be lower on the totem pole of options there, than it would be in a mid-size market like, say, Harrisburg, where there are only five major commercial outlets, leaving a subchannel affiliation as the only way it gets cleared.

The largest subchannel-only MNT affiliate I can think of is WFOX in Jacksonville, but in most markets larger than that, the service has a main channel to roost.

MyNetworkTV is on KMOV's subchannel in St. Louis.

Compared to Comcast...No.

Plus, they're not yanking the affiliation away. They've already said they're not renewing the affiliation with Ansin. Yanking implies that something is being taken [somewhat forcefully] away.

And just for shits and giggles. Why don't we also scrutinize the stripped affiliations that FOX and CBS have made over the last few years? i.e. WCCB, XETV, WISH, and you can't forget what FOX was trying to do in Seattle with Tribune/KCPQ...Those IMO were much worse, as they basically went behind the backs of the incumbent affiliate and negotiated an affiliation with a new station (with the exception of KCPQ, but it resulted in Tribune forking over more money to FOX). So if we all want to talk about greed, there is plenty of examples to go around...

The affiliation changes with XETV and WISH aren't comparable to what's going on here. In both cases, a third party (Tribune) won the "choice" affiliation, probably by agreeing to pay more than XETV and WISH were. That's how it should be.

Also, FOX doesn't have a virtual monopoly on cable TV service in Charlotte or Seattle.

Think of it this way: Pretend for every dollar WHDH makes, 50 cents goes to NBC (for affiliation rights) and 25 cents goes to Comcast (for cable carriage). Comcast is missing out on that last sweet 25 cents, and that's what their after, which they can do when they don't have to pay for either affiliation rights or cable carriage. While Sunbeam gets a portion of each dollar, NBC/Comcast gets the whole dollar.

This scenario is exactly why the regulators were so concerned with Comcast buying NBC Universal.

The affiliation changes with XETV and WISH aren't comparable to what's going on here. In both cases, a third party (Tribune) won the "choice" affiliation, probably by agreeing to pay more than XETV and WISH were. That's how it should be.

Also, FOX doesn't have a virtual monopoly on cable TV service in Charlotte or Seattle.

Think of it this way: Pretend for every dollar WHDH makes, 50 cents goes to NBC (for affiliation rights) and 25 cents goes to Comcast (for cable carriage). Comcast is missing out on that last sweet 25 cents, and that's what their after, which they can do when they don't have to pay for either affiliation rights or cable carriage. While Sunbeam gets a portion of each dollar, NBC/Comcast gets the whole dollar.

This scenario is exactly why the regulators were so concerned with Comcast buying NBC Universal.

Oh I understand. I was just bringing up the fact that if anyone criticizes Comcast for being greedy, then there are plenty of other examples in this business to go around.

I don't like Comcast's monopolistic business practices, but at the end of the day, the blame lies with the regulators for approving the deal. Comcast is going along with the opportunities it was given. Are some of their moves questionable? absolutely. But, that's why there are recourse's that can be taken to ensure they don't overreach their power.

If NBC gets put on WNEU, NBCU might have to buy WJAR back because its signal reaches to more of the Boston area than WNEU does

Nah... Never going to happen. It wouldn't make much sense (since it doesn't stand much of a strategic purpose) plus remember WPRI? If they buy it back, they'll have to face the FCC which nobody wants at all.

I thought that WXIA and WAGA went back and forth between 2nd and 3rd place for most of Atlanta TV history and that it's only recently that WAGA has been able to pull away into a solid #2 .

They did, but WSB always been #1, WAGA #2, WXIA #3... When the big 1980 switch took place WAGA moved up #1, WSB #2, WXIA #3, but in the mid 80s when NBC was hot it helped WXIA out. At that time Nielsen & Arbitron had different findings in their results. Nielsen had WSB, WXIA, WAGA, but Arbitron had WAGA, WXIA, WSB. During much of the mid to late 80s the 6/11pm news were very competitive among the three. Every ratings period much of 1984-to late 80s had different standings among (3) one time WXIA was on top WSB at the bottom. WSB on top WAGA at the bottom. It change so much at that time.

Early 90s it went back to 2,5,11 in that order and once the '94 switch occur it change the standings. In early evening WXIA was beating WAGA for #2 during Nov 95 & Nov 96 sweeps. When NBC is hot so is WXIA, ('96 summer Olympics handed WXIA #1) and many WAGA employees flocked over to WXIA where ownership changes have plague WAGA, but it been said WAGA had good talent, but they never understood how they were able to pay them where WXIA had the money under Gannett at the time, but of course the cash cow was at WSB.

Nah... Never going to happen. It wouldn't make much sense (since it doesn't stand much of a strategic purpose) plus remember WPRI? If they buy it back, they'll have to face the FCC which nobody wants at all.

But Comcast has the resources to buy it back AND face the FCC while doing so as retribution for not letting them buy Time Warner Cable (even though they walked away from it, but the FCC would've prevented the sale even if they hadn't)

Not sure to post here or in Out and About but current weekend anchor Jadiann Thompson has been promoted to weekday 4 pm anchor. Current 4 pm anchor Elizabeth Noreika stays at 5:30 pm.

This article says otherwise: http://www.newenglandone.com/news/local-news/item/1295-elizabeth-noreika-and-jadiann-thompson-swap-roles-at-whdh.html

Not sure to post here or in Out and About but current weekend anchor Jadiann Thompson has been promoted to weekday 4 pm anchor. Current 4 pm anchor Elizabeth Noreika stays at 5:30 pm.

Wrong.

Right.

Jadiann takes over at 4:00, 4:30 and 5:30pm with Ryan while Elizabeth goes to weekends with Nick.

Since the people at Reddit's /r/boston mentioned TVNT in one of their WHDH threads, I think it's time to bring up what could've been a last straw moment between them and NBC.

"I would like to thank WHDH-TV (Channel 7 Boston) for breaking into the Patriots winning the Superbowl with BREAKING NEWS that the Patriots won the Super Bowl". Their extended coverage, which was rife with technical errors, bumped network programming back over an hour. IIRC they did the same for Super Bowl XLVI and the last thing you want to do to Boston fans is rehash a bad loss.

From WGBH.

Interestingly, WHDH still gets paid $4M by NBC to carry programming

One of the panelists made an interesting point about NBC wanting viewers to have a relationship specifically with NBC, and not with a local affiliate. While that business model certainly has precedent (i.e. the rest of the world); the recent deal NBC made in Raleigh shows that NBC is still standing by the network-affiliate system, so long as they don't have to pay said affiliate $4,000,000 per year.

Guest Former Member 207

Wow...you would figure that in a market the size of Boston, WHDH would be getting at least ten times more in compensation from NBC than they do now.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived