Boston TV crisis: WHDH and WNEU

TheRolyPoly

Most of contracts I've seen on the FCC website just list the most recent renewal period.

http://data.fcc.gov/mediabureau/v01/tv/application/1693762.html

That link is to the station's latest biannual filling. It shows this particular contract started in January 2006. Around the time that WLVI went on the market for purchase.

Ansin is smart, not only did he sign an long term affiliation deal with a network who likely doesn't like him, but he also purchased their only viable alternative.

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, so none of this stuff is new. But Newsblues says it's official anyway. They used the link to the Globe interview.

So it's official, people are speculating. Got it. :p

Ansin is smart, not only did he sign an long term affiliation deal with a network who likely doesn't like him, but he also purchased their only viable alternative.

And that's key. NBC is put in a spot where, in order to remain a factor in the market, they will need to overpay tremendously for WHDH and/or WLVI. It is still laughable to suggest that NBC will be competitive on a signal like WNEU. Absolutely laughable.

If Ed Ansin really is okay with unloading both Boston stations, he's going to do what he can to get a really, really big payday as a result.

What is Mr. Ansin suing for exactly for?

We're told the reasoning for the lawsuit is the lack of a strong over-the-air signal from WNEU for the majority of the Boston market. With a large number of viewers not being able to get an OTA signal' date=' this could cause some regulatory headaches for NBC.[/quote']

I'm not sure WHDH could sue for the lack of signal coverage. NBC is a national network that can choose when and where their signal is broadcast. As far as I know there is no requirement/law stating that the population center needs to be called.

Even if WHDH was sold to NBC, I don't think they would keep WLVI and its CW affiliation there anyways. And if that's the case, then expect WBZ to get the CW affiliation for WSBK, leaving MyTV to possibly go to WLVI and with a different owner.

WLVI is the biggest loser, whether they get sold to NBC or not because they get either a very weak network (MyNetwork TV) or just go Independent with some very hard time to fill programming left by The CW.

I'm not sure WHDH could sue for the lack of signal coverage. NBC is a national network that can choose when and where their signal is broadcast. As far as I know there is no requirement/law stating that the population center needs to be called.

You can sue anyone for any old reason. The tactic is to force negotiations on the responding party.

You can bet it will never go to trial...and the outcome most likely will be a confidential out of court settlement.

Both sides will walk away very happy...and Ed will be a bit richer.

Just like a re-trans negotiation.

If i were Asin i'd cash out and move to Fl and use the money to put into wsvn and/or retirement

If it getting this bad his best move is to sell WHDH and pick up some other stations, and yeah they won't be in the top 10. WSVN will be his cash cow and flagship station, but a few mid size market station will bring in the $$$. However, the train-wreck will be something to watch.

These affiliation switches are starting to get out of hand. In the 90s it was base on good business, but now some would say it still business as usual. The tactics and the foolery is ridiculous. WISH-TV should of pony of the additional $$$ for CBS, and Ed might as well sell the station to NBC.

Well looks like it's official NBC Boston launches January 1st, 2017:

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/nbc-to-launch-nbc-boston-next-year/161346

Highly disappointed with this outcome. I hope it is not final and some compromise is reached. Otherwise I hope this comes back to bite NBC in the face.

More interesting in the article is that this will be the 12th NBC Station in the Owned group. Who is number 11? Does WKAQ count?

I'd also like to hear from some of you who said that there is no way in hell this happens.

Wouldn't it depend on the contract Cox & Fox have along with the affiliation agreement? With Cox entering into Boston market how would all that work out?

It's the only reasonable move he has, since CBS is locked in with an O&O and there is no way ABC and Hearst are breaking apart with WCVB.

Highly disappointed with this outcome. I hope it is not final and some compromise is reached. Otherwise I hope this comes back to bite NBC in the face.

More interesting in the article is that this will be the 12th NBC Station in the Owned group. Who is number 11? Does WKAQ count?

I'd also like to hear from some of you who said that there is no way in hell this happens.

Update Two

http://www.newenglandone.com/news/local-news/item/1300-nbc-set-to-announce-nbc-boston-today.html

It's the only reasonable move he has, since CBS is locked in with an O&O and there is no way ABC and Hearst are breaking apart with WCVB.

Yeah, but is Cox going to give up that FOX affiliation for being a CW affiliate for WFXT? Then you have Cox & Sunbeam fighting with FOX over affiliation.

Yeah, but is Cox going to give up that FOX affiliation for being a CW affiliate for WFXT? Then you have Cox & Sunbeam fighting with FOX over affiliation.

Someone is going to lose. What are the relationships between WSVN and Fox like? I know ratings-wise it is one of their top affiliates, but they have strong independence from Fox in many ways, not sure if it is to keep WSVN strong by focusing local (a workable move in Boston, especially with its politically liberal climate, to minimize the "Fox" branding while gaining its programming) or because Fox and Ansin have poor relations.

Why is NBC so unhappy with WHDH? They clear all network programming and they air Access Hollywood and Extra from 7-8pm just like NBC O&Os do. Do they just want to control their own station? They had nearby WJAR in Providence as an O&O but sold it some years back.

Someone is going to lose. What are the relationships between WSVN and Fox like? I know ratings-wise it is one of their top affiliates, but they have strong independence from Fox in many ways, not sure if it is to keep WSVN strong by focusing local (a workable move in Boston, especially with its politically liberal climate, to minimize the "Fox" branding while gaining its programming) or because Fox and Ansin have poor relations.

You're right, and there some strong valid points. With Cox & Fox it could of been where Cox told Fox they have no plans to sell KTVU and Fox goes and buy KRON 4.

Then KRON 4 could of been the O&O Fox affiliate, and KTVU goes back to an independent outlet prior to being a Fox affiliate. Then maybe in Boston it could of been a deal where WHDH becomes FOX under the current owner and NBC buys WFTX from. That how the story could of been played out and instead of what going on Right Now.

You're right someone is going to lose, and all bets say WHDH will lose it NBC affiliation. I think he might lose this battle, and I understand he doesn't want to sell. It crunch time because we're starting to see the little privately held ma & pa family shop being cut out while the corporations takeover.

"To be clear, the new NBC-owned station will be a broadcast channel available to over-the-air viewers like our other NBC and Telemundo stations, not a cable-only channel as has been publicly speculated. Additionally, we are committed to expanding our over-the-air coverage of the market and are currently looking at a variety of options to accomplish that."

Valari Staab

President, NBCUniversal Owned Television Stations

Translation: We're not sure how we're going to pull this off, but fuck it, we're going to try anyway.

Why is NBC so unhappy with WHDH? They clear all network programming and they air Access Hollywood and Extra from 7-8pm just like NBC O&Os do. Do they just want to control their own station? They had nearby WJAR in Providence as an O&O but sold it some years back.

NBC wants all of the money from a station they control; that and they don't want to have to deal with any possible insubordination (history hurts more than people believe).

Archived