Boston TV crisis: WHDH and WNEU

TheRolyPoly

http://www.newenglandone.com/news/local-news/item/1300-nbc-set-to-announce-nbc-boston-today.html

It's a done deal.. NE1 got its hands on an internal memo from NBCU's Valerie Staab.

"With the work we’ve done over the last two years plus the future investments we have planned, we will soon have the best television newsroom in the region – with two major broadcast network outlets – NBC Boston and Telemundo Boston – that can reach viewers in both English and Spanish and a 24x7 news network – necn – that reaches viewers throughout New England.

To be clear, the new NBC-owned station will be a broadcast channel available to over-the-air viewers like our other NBC and Telemundo stations, not a cable-only channel as has been publicly speculated."

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Basically, NBC is playing from the same playbook that it used with KRON: if you don't agree to our terms, to paraphrase quote Kevin "Mr. Wonderful" O'Leary, "you're dead to us".

Really, this isn't the first questionable affiliate move a network has made as a result of getting what it wants from its affiliates. Fox's dispute with Nexstar in 2011 relegated the network to subchannel affiliations in Fort Wayne, Evansville and Terre Haute (the first two replaced news-producing stations as its partners in those markets, as was the Block-owned Boise station it dumped for KNIN); WFFT would luckily get its Fox affiliation back two years later through a lawsuit settlement between Nexstar, Granite and the network; and then there was ABC's decision earlier this week to move its Tri-Cities affiliation from WKPT to a subchannel of WJHL. Except in Terre Haute (where Nexstar chose to dump Fox unlike in the company's other two markets affected by the 2011 dispute), all four networks could have retained standalone affiliations in those markets if one of them didn't lowball the affiliate.

Fox almost pulled a WHDH-to-WNEU switch in Seattle, but Tribune had the upper hand there. You would think that Ansin would have an upper hand here, even though his group owns few stations, given that Sunbeam's presence in two of the top 20 markets doesn't exactly make his company a ma and pa operation. Then again, LIN Media losing the CBS affiliation for WISH illustrates that no group, regardless of size, is safe is a network wants what it wants from an existing station whose management sees the network's terms as a possible detriment.

Interesting question to ponder if/when this goes through.

What are the chances NBC pulls Jack Williams out of retirement for some instant star power alongside (presumably) Maria Stephanos? Have to think they've at least considered it.

What are the chances NBC pulls Jack Williams out of retirement for some instant star power alongside (presumably) Maria Stephanos? Have to think they've at least considered it.

No way. Jack no longer resides in New England.

Jack Williams is 71. I think it's safe to say he isn't coming out of retirement.

You're right, and there some strong valid points. With Cox & Fox it could of been where Cox told Fox they have no plans to sell KTVU and Fox goes and buy KRON 4.

Then KRON 4 could of been the O&O Fox affiliate, and KTVU goes back to an independent outlet prior to being a Fox affiliate. Then maybe in Boston it could of been a deal where WHDH becomes FOX under the current owner and NBC buys WFTX from. That how the story could of been played out and instead of what going on Right Now.

Finally !!!!!

After weeks of WHDH predictions my dream has come true...

Somebody has looped this conversation back to KRON.

Amazing!

6 degrees of separation...all leading to the #1 all-time,most popular topic on all the TV groups and boards combined....

K-R-O-N !

We could start a topic on bullfrogs, tomato plants or swimming pool filters...and it would lead back eventualy to KRON.

I can die happy now.

My Dec 15th post:

Also....

Mention the spectrum auction.....

And be sure to involve KRON in this scenario, because

crazy ass KRON shit still drives people nuts on these boards.

(end)

I found this line in the second NE1 update interesting: " if CBS moves the CW Network to WSBK in August, he will be stuck with two independent stations worth a fraction of what they are now". Does WLVI's CW affiliation expire in August of this year? If so this just made things a whole lot more interesting.

O0c7NIo.jpg

NBC hasn't always made the best decisions. I can't wait to see how this all plays out. My money is on it backfiring horribly.

Also, the FOX thing isn't going to happen, at least not for many years. Please don't flood the thread with wild speculation about affiliation changes elsewhere in the market...

This could get very interesting. I wonder what Ansin's trump card will end up being. I wouldn't even be shocked if he threatened to pre-empt the Summer Olympics.

And the wording of how NBC intends to be over the air is just as intriguing. Perhaps a timeshare agreement on a subchannel?

What's to stop NBC from brokering a channel slot on another Boston station? I think it may be a next step should there be enough outrage with WNEU's current facility.

Besides, channel sharing could be a way of life after the spectrum auction.....

If "NBC Boston" were to be placed on WCVB-5.2 and were to skyrocket into 3rd place, wouldn't that cause a problem for Hearst, as they would be airing two top three stations?

Finally !!!!!

After weeks of WHDH predictions my dream has come true...

Somebody has looped this conversation back to KRON.

Amazing!

6 degrees of separation...all leading to the #1 all-time,most popular topic on all the TV groups and boards combined....

K-R-O-N !

They're not the only ones. Even Variety mentioned KRON in their article on this. It's actually an apt comparison here for once because it's NBC, in a major market, pulling its affiliation and building an O&O.

What's to stop NBC from brokering a channel slot on another Boston station? I think it may be a next step should there be enough outrage with WNEU's current facility.

Besides, channel sharing could be a way of life after the spectrum auction.....

Wouldn't the current rules on JSA's/SSA's prohibit NBC to have time brokerage agreements with other broadcasters in the market? What you are describing is having two separate stations sharing a frequency, which unless NBC gives up the WNEU frequency, wouldn't occur in this situation.

Although in some of the research I done, the various holding companies NBCUniversal uses for WNEU and other O&O's still files biannual paperwork with the FCC in regards to WWDP, although their portion of Envine was supposedly bought out. But WWDP covers so much of Providence, WJAR may complain

So much for that rumored CW affiliation. It's gonna be another WJXT.

[MEDIA=twitter]685257461687808004[/MEDIA]

Or a WSVN (except it has FOX and I only mentioned it because its Sunbeam) or a KUSI or a KTVK and the list goes on and on and on...

I found this line in the second NE1 update interesting: " if CBS moves the CW Network to WSBK in August, he will be stuck with two independent stations worth a fraction of what they are now". Does WLVI's CW affiliation expire in August of this year? If so this just made things a whole lot more interesting.

If this is true, then what becomes of MyNetworkTV in Boston as a result?

I think either WHDH or WLVI will be the new home of MyTV in Boston. There's just no way the affiliation is going back to a NH-based station.

Trust me, WBZ 4 would want The CW on WSBK 38 due to the half-ownership of The CW by CBS.

Wow. This is going to be an interesting year around here.

Quoting the Globe story:

Ansin has said that NBC told him in September that the network would not renew its agreement and offered $200 million to buy a portion of WHDH. Ansin balked at the figure, saying it was too low. An NBC spokeswoman said the network was only interested in buying a part of WHDH’s signal and did not offer him that much money.

Umm....I think the writer was confusing sister stations and subchannels.

Wouldn't it be funny if Ansin ends up selling WLVI to NBC, thus resulting in what he wanted to prevent back in '06 when he bought the station?

Wow. This is going to be an interesting year around here.

Quoting the Globe story:

Umm....I think the writer was confusing sister stations and subchannels.

Wouldn't it be funny if Ansin ends up selling WLVI to NBC, thus resulting in what he wanted to prevent back in '06 when he bought the station?

Wasn't another reason for him buying WLVI being more hours worth of news?

Archived