Boston TV crisis: WHDH and WNEU

TheRolyPoly

Why is KNTV on different cable channels? I know for a while it was branded as NBC3 because it was on cable channel 3 on most cable systems, but that caused confusion to most viewers because it's number was 11. Why don't the cable systems in that area move the station to cable channel 11? I understand the undesirability of high channel numbers, but 11 is not a high number!

I honestly don't know. Maybe someone from the Bay Area on this forum can shed some light on the channel situation there.

When KNTV took over the NBC affiliation, they went with NBC 3 then to NBC 11 and finally NBC Bay Area. Very confusing to say the least.

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I honestly don't know. Maybe someone from the Bay Area on this forum can shed some light on the channel situation there.

When KNTV took over the NBC affiliation, they went with NBC 3 then to NBC 11 and finally NBC Bay Area. Very confusing to say the least.

Over the air they were always 11, so NBC 11 makes the most sense. NBC 3 caused too much confusion since KCRA 3, which is NBC in Sacramento, is close to the Bay Area.

So, NBC 60, then?

Sure...I think it's better for stations to establish some localism, instead of being some generic channel title like NBC Boston. Sometimes even the network and channel number are generic branding. For example, they changed CBS 4 Boston back to WBZ like the station was known for.

Sure...I think it's better for stations to establish some localism, instead of being some generic channel title like NBC Boston. Sometimes even the network and channel number are generic branding. For example, they changed CBS 4 Boston back to WBZ like the station was known for.

How is NBC Boston generic? Generic would be Channel 5 news, etc. But you can't get anymore "Local" or associated with the community you cover than having the city name in your branding

Why is KNTV on different cable channels? I know for a while it was branded as NBC3 because it was on cable channel 3 on most cable systems, but that caused confusion to most viewers because it's number was 11. Why don't the cable systems in that area move the station to cable channel 11? I understand the undesirability of high channel numbers, but 11 is not a high number!

Part of the reasoning at the time was that everyone had a VCR that defaulted to RF ch-3. ...so the TV was most likely tuned to "3".Also the San Jose area had some pretty messed up cable systems under total rebuilds at the time so it was a good time to rebrand the channel #.

"3" is also under used in Ca so it was considered unique.

In the case of KNSD there are only 2 cable systems in San Diego county now (Cox and TWC) KNSD had been on 7 on both systems since the 80's....before that...they were on 3 on most systems....

But one cable network really wanted that "3" because of some shit about VCR's tuning channel 3....bla bla...that network was ESPN.

And just to make things even more complicated, we're talking about the cable channel numbers for the standard definition feeds. Imagine if local stations branded using their HD channel numbers. NBC 714, anyone?

That was done quite a lot in the cable business due to ingress.

You mean sloppy and leaky systems that violated standards and interfered with aircraft communications...

Ingress...is putting it politely.

That was done quite a lot in the cable business due to ingress.

I know Baltimore and Washington were big markets for this because of the transmitters being so close to the headends, even into Virginia. Even now in DC the standard def positions are in the 20's for over-the-air stations on Comcast. Later systems seemed to make up for this by locating headends/main office a bit farther from the transmitters.

Let's face it.....

WFXT is a disaster, and WBZ is a mess that I'm sure CBS is well aware of. Since Ansin is resisting to sell out to NBC, if CBS makes him an offer he wouldn't refuse for WHDH and WLVI, reversing the 1994 swap of WHDH and WBZ may be the best solution to the Boston TV "crisis". NBC returns to WBZ as an O&O, WHDH becomes a stronger CBS O&O....problem solved!

Let's face it.....

WFXT is a disaster, and WBZ is a mess that I'm sure CBS is well aware of. Since Ansin is resisting to sell out to NBC, if CBS makes him an offer he wouldn't refuse for WHDH and WLVI, reversing the 1994 swap of WHDH and WBZ may be the best solution to the Boston TV "crisis". NBC returns to WBZ as an O&O, WHDH becomes a stronger CBS O&O....problem solved!

I just don't think CBS is going to sell, and it sounds so easy to do. Even though WHDH/(Channel 7) was once a CBS affiliate 30 years ago. I just don't see Ed Ansin's flash as a CBS affiliate. I wish he would tone it down with the flash, and in your face. It great for WSVN, but whatever WHDH becomes an Indy outlet or stays with NBC their tone of their news need to be polished up.

It would of been great if FOX would of called NBC up, and sold WFXT to NBC. Where NBC could of have it O&O.

WHDH could of become a FOX affiliate and that a win-win for Ed.

It would of been great if FOX would of called NBC up, and sold NBC to WFXT, where NBC could of have it O&O. WHDH could of become a FOX affiliate and that a win-win for Ed.

Except that WFXT and Cox signed a long-term affiliation agreement with FOX so don't expect that to happen anytime soon or if ever.

Except that WFXT and Cox signed a long-term affiliation agreement with FOX so don't expect that to happen anytime soon or if ever.

I know that! All I'm saying is that would of been a better route instead of what in place right now. Instead of the current in-fighting w/ NBC & Ed.

KTVU was already a Fox affiliate and of far more value than KRON. And wasn't KRON's building falling apart?

Even with that, I wouldn't put it past Fox to have KRON as a Plan B in case Cox refused to sell KTVU, but they definitely wouldn't have been the preferred option, and Fox finding it in them to sell WFXT to another network out of the goodness of their hearts is frankly absurd.

KTVU was already a Fox affiliate and of far more value than KRON. And wasn't KRON's building falling apart?

Even with that, I wouldn't put it past Fox to have KRON as a Plan B in case Cox refused to sell KTVU, but they definitely wouldn't have been the preferred option, and Fox finding it in them to sell WFXT to another network out of the goodness of their hearts is frankly absurd.

Yeah, you're right KTVU value was greater, but I'm sure the only choices FOX gave to Cox was either they lose their affiliation or we buy you. Cox went with the latter by selling, and yes KRON building was in shambles that it move into the same building that KGO currently at.

And with the tv business there alot of absurd things that have happened over the years. Like When NBC owned WTVJ/Channel 4 while it was a CBS affiliate back in the late 80s and stranger things have occurred over the many years.

And just to make things even more complicated, we're talking about the cable channel numbers for the standard definition feeds. Imagine if local stations branded using their HD channel numbers. NBC 714, anyone?

Let's be clear, please. Stations brand themselves after their PSIPs, NOT their SD cable feeds.

Let's face it.....

Unless the Patriots become an NFC team or move, there's no way CBS is letting go of BZ. Say what you will about their news, but the Pats make the station tons of money.

I do think NBC making an offer (and likely overpaying) for 25 will come into play down the road, because I still don't see how they're going to make one or a bunch of LPs work. The Pats would have to be scheduled on Sunday Night Football every other week and Comcast would have to move said LPs up in their cable system for this to work well--the latter of which I question the legality of.

Guest NewsHound
Unless the Patriots become an NFC team or move, there's no way CBS is letting go of BZ. Say what you will about their news, but the Pats make the station tons of money.

I do think NBC making an offer (and likely overpaying) for 25 will come into play down the road, because I still don't see how they're going to make one or a bunch of LPs work. The Pats would have to be scheduled on Sunday Night Football every other week and Comcast would have to move said LPs up in their cable system for this to work well--the latter of which I question the legality of.

Well NBC better come up with something. If I remember correctly CBS saw themselves in this predicament in SEVERAL markets back in 1994. They were able to get through it, but in places like Detroit where they waited until the last minute to make a move, they ended up with WWJ...

NBC, learn from CBS' mistake. Don't end up with a WWJ.

Let's be clear, please. Stations brand themselves after their PSIPs, NOT their SD cable feeds.

Wrong. Not always. See KNSD. They brand themselves after their SD cable channel number. And they are not the only ones that do so.

Wrong. Not always. See KNSD. They brand themselves after their SD cable channel number. And they are not the only ones that do so.

Not to forget, but the same can be said for Palm Springs (KPSP 2/KESQ 3/KCWQ 5/KDFX 11) and Southwest Florida (WBBH 2/WGCU 3/WFTX 4/WINK 5/WXCW 6/WZVN 7).

...Comcast would have to move said LPs up in their cable system for this to work well--the latter of which I question the legality of.

Why would Comcast moving channels around in their cable systems be legally questionable?

Serious question.

Archived