WRAL loses CBS affiliation effective next month

bostonmediaguy

I'm really in agreement. Small local broadcasters like Bonneville (which in TV is just one station), Griffin, Capitol, the Wolfes, etc. need leverage more than anything.

The leverage they have is the local viewers. each one of those "local" viewers becomes worth more, and more each day, as the viewing options become more fragmented.

They have more power than you might think...they have the viewers.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The leverage they have is the local viewers. each one of those "local" viewers becomes worth more, and more each day, as the viewing options become more fragmented.

They have more power than you might think...they have the viewers.

Yeah but if Sinclair wants Dr. Phil or whatever hit show comes down the pike, what happens? Likewise when dealing with cable companies, websites, technology, hubbing, interactive television, etc. I don't know all the legal ins and outs, but arranging things like a partnership or banding together somehow would allow them to have scale when it comes to the things that don't matter when it comes to the product people see.

I'm thinking that the best thing for the family owned stations would be to form some kind of co-op (think IGA grocery stores) where they would remain independently owned, but they have resources through this co-op to help them negotiate affiliation contracts, syndicated programming, etc.

I'm thinking that the best thing for the family owned stations would be to form some kind of co-op (think IGA grocery stores) where they would remain independently owned, but they have resources through this co-op to help them negotiate affiliation contracts, syndicated programming, etc.

I like this idea but I wonder if it's feasible in practice. I'm sure someone at the networks/big groups would cry "collusion".

I like this idea but I wonder if it's feasible in practice. I'm sure someone at the networks/big groups would cry "collusion".

And what about those that choose to go the "local boutique station" route?

People love e rebel.

WRAL GM on Airing Super Bowl and Olympics in Same Year

TVSpy: What challenges/opportunities do the two events present the station?

Hammel: With the Carolina Panthers in Super Bowl 50, we’re very excited about the opportunity to cover the Panthers in what will have the most eyeballs on our Station. Of course, this will be our first year broadcasting the Super Bowl and the Olympics and we will make certain to make the most of it for our viewers.

TVSpy: Are you planning any specials around the two broadcasts?

Hammel: We are planning at least three specials. We’ll air the first two this coming Thursday and Friday at 7 p.m. The third will be an hour long postgame show on Sunday night.

This will be a very special year for us as we look to cover the local athletes, parents and coaches in Rio. In conjunction with NBC, we’ll air half hour broadcasts, The Olympic Zone, every night of the Olympics at 7:30 p.m.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/wral-gm-on-airing-super-bowl-and-olympics-in-same-year/162889

That might be an even better idea. IGA wholesalers do a lot of the computer stuff, POS, store design, name tags, uniforms and stuff like that for the individual store owner. Technology costs a lot of money. Better to do an app once instead of fifty times.

I put a call into WRAL today and all they told me was that Dr. Phil was moving to 11am and the secondary run at 2pm. I'm going to call again tomorrow and see if I can get somebody in programming. They had already left for the day, I'm just relaying this from the receptionist.

Seems to me like it would have made more sense for them to put Dr. Phil at 3 to lead into the 4:00 news.

Seems to me like it would have made more sense for them to put Dr. Phil at 3 to lead into the 4:00 news.

I stand corrected, WRAL put out an updated schedule. Dr. Phil at 11a and 3p, the Doctors at 2p, and Inside Edition/ET remain at 7 & 7:30pm as they are now. No word on weekend AM newscasts/Today time as of yet.

http://www.wral.com/wral-tv-move-to-nbc-faqs/15241044/

I stand corrected, WRAL put out an updated schedule. Dr. Phil at 11a and 3p, the Doctors at 2p, and Inside Edition/ET remain at 7 & 7:30pm as they are now. No word on weekend AM newscasts/Today time as of yet.

http://www.wral.com/wral-tv-move-to-nbc-faqs/15241044/

Cannot think of a better lead-in on their schedule to a 4:00 newscast than Dr. Phil. And it will also lead in to their noon newscast.

I wonder if the HD channels on TWC for WNCN and WRAL will switch since Raleigh-Durham is on the National Channel Lineup. IIRC, it won't be as bad since now, if you tune in to WRAL on cable channel 3, you get WRAL-HD. However, if you're insistent on tuning to the "true" HD channel, Time Warner's NCL, no matter the market, places CBS on 1206 and NBC on 1212.

It's a first-run/secondary run, like most stations do. Sometimes the secondary run airs on a co-owned or co-managed station.

So that would mean the secondary episode is one that aired weeks prior, then. In some markets, though, where Dr. Phil airs on a duopoly, the co-owned/co-managed station just airs a same-day repeat of the first run episode seen hours earlier on its parent station. KWTV/KSBI has had this arrangement since this past September, where the first run episode that airs on KWTV at 3:00 p.m. re-airs on KSBI at 6:00 that evening (the secondary run of Dr. Phil hasn't aired here in OKC since 2012, when KOCO replaced the repeat airing that followed Nightline with an encore of Katie).

So that would mean the secondary episode is one that aired weeks prior, then. In some markets, though, where Dr. Phil airs on a duopoly, the co-owned/co-managed station just airs a same-day repeat of the first run episode seen hours earlier on its parent station. KWTV/KSBI has had this arrangement since this past September, where the first run episode that airs on KWTV at 3:00 p.m. re-airs on KSBI at 6:00 that evening (the secondary run of Dr. Phil hasn't aired here in OKC since 2012, when KOCO replaced the repeat airing that followed Nightline with an encore of Katie).

Based on the listing guides, this is the current arrangement that WRAL/WRAZ has. The new episode currently airs @ 9 on WRAL, and again at 3:00 on WRAZ.

Based on the listing guides, this is the current arrangement that WRAL/WRAZ has. The new episode currently airs @ 9 on WRAL, and again at 3:00 on WRAZ.

Charlotte is that way too, WSOC at 4 and sister station independent WAXN at 9.

WRAL Airing News Instead of Colbert After Super Bowl

Instead of airing the Late Show with Stephen Colbert after the Super Bowl, Raleigh CBS affiliate WRAL is airing an hour of its own post game, to cover the home team. But the station tells TVSpy it has nothing to do with the fact that WRAL won’t be a CBS affiliate in a few weeks.

In an effort to hang on to Carolina Panther fans, the Capitol Broadcasting-owned station is pushing The Late Show with Stephen Colbert to after its late local news, which is expanding to an hour tonight.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/wral-airing-news-instead-of-colbert-after-super-bowl/163374

Archived