WRAL loses CBS affiliation effective next month

bostonmediaguy

Agreed. The impact on the network as a whole will be minimal. The biggest place I see this hurting them is the content Newspath gets from WNCN vs. what they got from WRAL lol.

How much information did Newspath really get on a frequent basis from WRAL?

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How much information did Newspath really get on a frequent basis from WRAL?

Affiliates upload content to Newspath based on what's requested from CBS. In WRAL's case, they likely send a couple stories per day. The poster's point of course being there won't be much impact on CBS.

He said that they'd start negotiations with CBS this fall.

A lot could happen this year. Raycom could pull a MG and use their leverage to get CBS on WECT. But they have longstanding partnership with NBC that may trump an affiliation swap.

Now if Morris gets sold to a bigger company, that could be another factor...putting WWAY into play and making them into something...

They recently changed their branding to "WNCN News Now".

It could change to 17 News Now...LOL

Someone on another site raised a good question. Could it be that CBS may be charging their affiliates higher programming fees than ABC, NBC, or FOX? Is that the reason that CBS lost WISH (Indianapolis) and is losing WRAL (Raleigh)?

Someone did raise this question, and maybe there could be some truth it this? Could we see other CBS affiliates switches?

And the Grammy's, music's most prestigious event on WNCN in 2017. WNCN will get the Super Bowl in 2019 while WRAL will have it again in 2018.

Also in 2017: The Primetime Emmys on WNCN (since 1995, it has rotated among the four networks (Fox, ABC, CBS, and NBC); this year, it's on WTVD and ABC) and the Golden Globes now on WRAL!

Affiliates upload content to Newspath based on what's requested from CBS. In WRAL's case, they likely send a couple stories per day. The poster's point of course being there won't be much impact on CBS.

My next question will be: How often does CBS (and CBS sister stations) use content from WRAL.

Affiliates/producers/writers can pick and run whatever they want as long as they can get it and as long as it's not embargoed to them. Presumably affiliates in adjacent markets are more likely to pull content from WRAL than, say, CBS affiliates on the west coast.

Then there's also NNS, and since NBC is not part of that agreement, content from WRAL won't appear on there anymore either.

Guest Former Member 207

Sorry to be late to the party...I figured that we would see at least one major network affiliation swap this year, but the Triangle would be the last place I would think for such a thing, at least between WRAL and WNCN. Although usually the big winner in these local network swaps is the network affiliate(s) that's not changing networks, I think given WRAL's standing in the Raleigh-Durham market, they'll do just fine with NBC--WRAL seems like one of those stations that will perform great regardless of network affiliation. For WNCN, it's a fresh start for them, and they should gain some inroads thanks to CBS' lineup of shows.

By the way, I heard about the comments on WRAL's Facebook page, and I just saw comments on WNCN's page regarding the switch...I've always said that certain people who no business owning a computer or smartphone.

Sorry to be late to the party...I figured that we would see at least one major network affiliation swap this year, but the Triangle would be the last place I would think for such a thing, at least between WRAL and WNCN. Although usually the big winner in these local network swaps is the network affiliate(s) that's not changing networks, I think given WRAL's standing in the Raleigh-Durham market, they'll do just fine with NBC--WRAL seems like one of those stations that will perform great regardless of network affiliation. For WNCN, it's a fresh start for them, and they should gain some inroads thanks to CBS' lineup of shows.

By the way, I heard about the comments on WRAL's Facebook page, and I just saw comments on WNCN's page regarding the switch...I've always said that certain people who no business owning a computer or smartphone.

The problem is, (older) people tend to link the network to the affiliate, so they think the news personalities are connected to the network news staff (although in the Triangle's case, one of their stations [WTVD] is a O&O). Secondly, social media/comment sections for TV stations have devolved into (old) people once again having a new shouting arena to place their grievances, vice now just calling the station or writing the ND a stern letter.

That being said, even though WRAL does have the better local news product, I wouldn't be surprised to see WNCN see a temporary bump in at least their 6pm ratings as they pick up Lester's NN. But unless the WNCN News product improves, it'll go right back down as the new station smell wears off.

The problem is, (older) people tend to link the network to the affiliate, so they think the news personalities are connected to the network news staff (although in the Triangle's case, one of their stations [WTVD] is a O&O). Secondly, social media/comment sections for TV stations have devolved into (old) people once again having a new shouting arena to place their grievances, vice now just calling the station or writing the ND a stern letter.

That being said, even though WRAL does have the better local news product, I wouldn't be surprised to see WNCN see a temporary bump in at least their 6pm ratings as they pick up Lester's NN. But unless the WNCN News product improves, it'll go right back down as the new station smell wears off.

You'd think these old folks would be the ones to remember that WRAL has switched affiliations before...

Guest Former Member 207

Oh, I understand where you're coming from...in fairness, if I didn't have the knowledge of the broadcasting business that I do now, I would likely felt the same way. It's just odd to me at times that some people can be over-reactionary without knowing all of the facts before responding.

Maybe WNCN and/or WRAL should do what Denver's Big Three did when they went through their network swaps...produce a special to educate viewers about the affiliation (although WRAL kinda already did that with the online piece that someone posted a few pages back), so it should quell any more confusion. I've always thought the Denver specials were the most concise and informative of all network affiliation swaps situations that were going on at that time (that and the WJKS one from when they went from ABC to The WB).

Speaking of, this was one of my suggested YouTube videos this morning, from when WRAL and WTVD switched back in '85.

I honestly don't think it would hurt to have Charlie Gaddy do a similar presentation for the upcoming switch. A face a lot of older viewers are still familiar with, perhaps joining in with David Crabtree, Greg Fishel, and Bill Leslie.

It always comes down to money. I think it was stupid for CBS to let a powerhouse like WRAL walk away. I predict NBC will get a bump and WRAL will continue its dominant #1 status, and WNCN will continue to struggle.
And I think that at this point, CBS has better relations with Media General than they do with WRAL and I predict that WNCN will become #2 or even #1 and beat WRAL in the ratings.

And I think that at this point, CBS has better relations with Media General than they do with WRAL and I predict that WNCN will become #2 or even #1 and beat WRAL in the ratings.

You forgot about WTVD and the fact that channel 11 is an ABC O&O. WTVD is the only ABC O&O that doesn't lead its market's ratings, and that is solely thanks to WRAL. If anything, WTVD would become the new #1, not WNCN. WNCN's ratings certainly will rise, especially since they now have the NCAA basketball tournament in a college basketball hotbed (UNC, Duke, NCSU), but it probably will stay in the #3 position simply because WRAL and WTVD are just that dominant. This is similar to Louisville (another CBB hotbed) when CBS moved from WHAS to WLKY, although WLKY made more headway in the ratings since WHAS and WAVE weren't as dominant of a pair.

Being a split market, WTVD is the only station completely based out of Durham, so this may be another factor in their ratings. However, they do a good job of covering Raleigh and other areas as well. It's much more unified than other split markets that usually have a station in the secondary (or tertiary) city that splits the coverage to where each station is based.

You forgot about WTVD and the fact that channel 11 is an ABC O&O. WTVD is the only ABC O&O that doesn't lead its market's ratings, and that is solely thanks to WRAL. If anything, WTVD would become the new #1, not WNCN. WNCN's ratings certainly will rise, especially since they now have the NCAA basketball tournament in a college basketball hotbed (UNC, Duke, NCSU), but it probably will stay in the #3 position simply because WRAL and WTVD are just that dominant. This is similar to Louisville (another CBB hotbed) when CBS moved from WHAS to WLKY, although WLKY made more headway in the ratings since WHAS and WAVE weren't as dominant of a pair.

I agree that WTVD is the one that will benefit, and not WNCN. Also, under the new CBS/Turner agreement, it isn't guaranteed that WNCN will get the NCAA Tournament games that interest the market the most. You bet that TBS/TNT will get their share of the Tobacco road schools, plus this year starts the TBS/CBS rotation for the Final 4, which means that CBS may only get one or two games total between each school.

Their are other factors that put WNCN at a disadvantage. According to Media General's Annual report, as of Dec 2014, WNCN only had a market share of 4%, at #3. CBS is strong, but isn't strong enough to raise a 4% market share to #2, or #1 in a market dominated by one station, let alone 2.

Also, I'll be frank, but the few times I've seen the news of WNCN, the output screams small market, and not as polished as WTVD, and WRAL, which is an important element to increase ratings, and other than Ellen, their syndicated programming isn't particularly strong.

Being a split market, WTVD is the only station completely based out of Durham, so this may be another factor in their ratings. However, they do a good job of covering Raleigh and other areas as well. It's much more unified than other split markets that usually have a station in the secondary (or tertiary) city that splits the coverage to where each station is based.

You bring a good point, some older viewership in Raleigh will not watch WTVD's news because it is "Durham's" station, even though they cover the entire market equally, and has a full fledged studio in Raleigh.

So the most truly awkward situation came true tonight with the Panthers blowout to go to the Super Bowl...how does WRAL exactly promote their network move during their local time through the game? Can they even do it under their current CBS agreement or are they stuck under a non-disparagement clause until the 29th, and have to do it under a 'a big change is coming' kind of vagueness where those certain initials for their new affiliation cannot be mentioned outside of news writing?

Also they've officially now hit the motherlode...local Super Bowl team this year, Olympics, probably at least two SNF Panthers games later in the year and gobs of political money coming in. Unless they somehow pull an accelerated WKBW-ish bungling of their ratings in a short few months or ABC/WTVD somehow miraculously gets the Hornets in the NBA Finals, there's no way they're falling out of #1 anytime soon.

Archived