WRAL loses CBS affiliation effective next month

bostonmediaguy

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From a look at their schedule they may have to rework some things but keep in mind the NBC day time schedule only takes up 5 hours (Today and Days of our Lives) compared to the six and a half hours that CBS airs (CBS This Morning, Lets Make A Deal, Price is Right, The Young and the Restless, the Bold and the Beautiful and The Talk). They could add some syndicated programming or a 4PM newscast to get more programming dollars.

How on earth do you come up NBC compliant sat systems ordered, shipped and installed in 30 days?

You bet they need to pull permits for that work.

Maybe they'll just pull the signal from the C-Band feed that's not encrypted? :)

They could also reconfigure (if that's possible) CBS' LIDIA to NBC's NameDropper as its the same hardware.

How on earth do you come up NBC compliant sat systems ordered, shipped and installed in 30 days?

You bet they need to pull permits for that work.

Capitol Broadcasting owns a company called Microspace,which provides Satellite Data Systems. One of the solutions they do is video delivery. The building permit process in NC is just a rubber stamp, if it is to modify an existing structure.

Last I checked all the core primary sources are encrypted on KU band but the C-Band is open.

http://www.lyngsat.com/AMC-18.html

It's going to present some real challenges. Do you just hire an affilate switching firm to handle it? Do you do it all in house?

There had to be some real serious negotiations up to the bitter end because you don't just cut it this close .....unless......the end game was pre-planned for.

That's one hell of a game of chicken.

Capitol Broadcasting owns a company called Microspace,which provides Satellite Data Systems. One of the solutions they do is video delivery. The building permit process in NC is just a rubber stamp, if it is to modify an existing structure.

It's going to present some real challenges. Do you just hire an affilate switching firm to handle it? Do you do it all in house?

There had to be some real serious negotiations up to the bitter end because you don't just cut it this close .....unless......the end game was pre-planned for.

That's one hell of a game of chicken.

What type of modifications would really need to be made - moving a satellite dish to a different satellite and installing some new racks/equipment? From what I've seen at Fox (which seems to like to dictate everything technical) requires two racks to receive & decode their programming. Some other changes else where in the chain may need to be changed.

Don't stations occasionally move satellites to get what they need or maybe they have a couple fixed and a few movable?

What type of modifications would really need to be made - moving a satellite dish to a different satellite and installing some new racks/equipment? From what I've seen at Fox (which seems to like to dictate everything technical) requires two racks to receive & decode their programming. Some other changes else where in the chain may need to be changed.

Don't stations occasionally move satellites to get what they need or maybe they have a couple fixed and a few movable?

Reprogramming the various computer controlled items will drive them nuts.

This 100 times more complicated.

Start at the PBX system and work forward...first stop sales....traffic...operations...news..HR...accounting...

It's actually probably going to be very exciting for a few geeks and engineers...a nightmare for the rest.

Start at the PBX system and work forward...first stop sales....traffic...operations...news..HR...accounting...

It's actually probably going to be very exciting for a few geeks and engineers...a nightmare for the rest.

At this point, Raycom might as well buy Capitol Broadcasting, including WRAL and WRAZ, but not WLIM-LD. That might as well go to Media General

At this point, Raycom might as well buy Capitol Broadcasting, including WRAL and WRAZ, but not WLIM-LD. That might as well go to Media General

That would be impossible. Both WRAL & WRAZ are within the top-4 highest rated stations in the Triangle. Should both get sold, both stations would have to be owned by two different owners.

That would be impossible. Both WRAL & WRAZ are within the top-4 highest rated stations in the Triangle. Should both get sold, both stations would have to be owned by two different owners.
Exactly. Which is why WRAZ can be owned by American Spirit Media instead, or if they wanted to divest it to someone, Fox could own the station

Yeah, I definitely undersold it. How about instead of relying on an old PBX system they make the switch to VoIP? And make a switch to iNews or better yet Annova's OpenMedia.

I think for Dispatch as I was told "it only a matter of time before they sell", but what about Hubbard in Minnesota?

CBS might be good for WNCN, but WRAL will continue to have a lion share of the audience, but CBS & RAL worked well together. Was there ever a thought for WRAL to go FOX, and Sinclair could of pick up the CBS affiliation with one of their outlets?

Two problems with that scenario. First of all, if WRAL went Fox, their 10:00 news would move off WRAZ. And most importantly, WLFL or WRDC would've had to invest in a news department if they got CBS. Not sure CBS would have gone for that.

From a look at their schedule they may have to rework some things but keep in mind the NBC day time schedule only takes up 5 hours (Today and Days of our Lives) compared to the six and a half hours that CBS airs (CBS This Morning, Lets Make A Deal, Price is Right, The Young and the Restless, the Bold and the Beautiful and The Talk). They could add some syndicated programming or a 4PM newscast to get more programming dollars.

They already have a 4pm on WRAZ, I'm assuming that with the switch, they'll just move that to WRAL.

Last I checked all the core primary sources are encrypted on KU band but the C-Band is open.

The primary Ku-band feeds are unencrypted too, and have been for many years. Actually, Fox is the only major English language broadcast network whose distribution feeds are encrypted 24/7, a feat no doubt made easier due to the unique splicer system Fox makes stations use in order to receive network programming. I specify 24/7 there because the NFL does force CBS to encrypt, but only temporarily while NFL games are being broadcast.

Capitol Broadcasting owns a company called Microspace,which provides Satellite Data Systems. One of the solutions they do is video delivery.

Yes and, ironically, the primary satellite Microspace uplinks to is also the primary satellite used for NBC network distribution, NBC News Channel content, and local NBC DSNG feeds. They both use the Ku-band side of the satellite, with NBC dominating the horizontally polarized downlink frequencies and Microspace dominating the vertically polarized downlink frequencies. So Capitol Broadcasting will no doubt have several satellites already pointing at the one they need to receive NBC programming.

WRAL and Microspace do not share a common facility, but there is a communication link between the two. One thing Microspace uplinks is the live drawings of the North Carolina Education Lottery. Approximately 15-20 minutes before the drawings are done, though, Microspace seems to test their links by uplinking WRAL's programming for perhaps about 10-20 minutes to the spot where the drawings will ultimately be seen.

I worked at WRAL under GM Tom Allen, now that was a station in its prime! Under his predecessors and most recent station management, WRAL has continued it's slide from its once 800 pound gorilla - total ratings domination of the Raleigh-Durham market to actually having to compete for eyeballs. Hard to imagine CBS would have considered this with WRAL of old, but the times they are a changing. Jim Goodman must have been outbid for the affiliation. Too bad CBS, who prides itself on its historical roots, easily forgets its history with Capital Broadcasting when there's money at stake.

They already have a 4pm on WRAZ, I'm assuming that with the switch, they'll just move that to WRAL.

That depends. WNCN has no choice but to drop some syndicated programming, since CBS has more programming hours than NBC does. With that network-driven a schedule, there will be syndies that will be ripe for Capitol to pick from. The question is, which ones would be best suited for WRAL's schedule should WNCN givem them up?

Two problems with that scenario. First of all, if WRAL went Fox, their 10:00 news would move off WRAZ. And most importantly, WLFL or WRDC would've had to invest in a news department if they got CBS. Not sure CBS would have gone for that.

The first issue doesn't seem that big of one. I'm sure that if Fox wanted to affiliate with WRAL, they would have; besides anyway, WBRC is evidence that an already dominant station as a Big Three affiliate could experience success with a prime time newscast as a Fox affiliate.

The real issue though, would be with network programming, if Fox had moved to WRAL, WRAZ would either have to join The CW if CBS did go to WLFL or be stuck with MyNetworkTV if WRDC landed CBS. If that happened, The CW would be the better scenario because of its stronger programming, despite still having lower ratings than any of the Big Four.

Whether Sinclair would have invested in a news department should be the question in the second part of that scenario. CBS would want WLFL or WRDC to carry some news programming if either had taken the affiliation, but as I mentioned in a recent post in "Out and About", Sinclair hasn't invested in a newly created news department for any of its stations since the "News Central" era (though WHOI could soon be an exception, once its sharing agreement is unraveled). The closest it has done to doing that is its revamp of KDBC's newscasts (though it used KFOX's existing news department to do it), and the creation of separate newscasts at WTVH from those seen on WSTM.

That depends. WNCN has no choice but to drop some syndicated programming, since CBS has more programming hours than NBC does. With that network-driven a schedule, there will be syndies that will be ripe for Capitol to pick from. The question is, which ones would be best suited for WRAL's schedule should WNCN givem them up?

WNCN has to ditch an hour and a half of programming so it can air all the CBS daytime programming.

They air an hour of "Justice with Judge Mablean" from 12-1 (I'm sure WRAL is salivating at the opportunity to get that lol.)

They currently air FOUR episodes of Judge Judy daily (3:30, 5, 5:30 and 7:30).

If I'm them, I ditch one episode of Judge Judy and give Mablean to one of the Sinclair stations (or WRAZ) and call it a day.

Archived