WRAL loses CBS affiliation effective next month

bostonmediaguy

WNCN has to ditch an hour and a half of programming so it can air all the CBS daytime programming.

They air an hour of "Justice with Judge Mablean" from 12-1 (I'm sure WRAL is salivating at the opportunity to get that lol.)

They currently air FOUR episodes of Judge Judy daily (3:30, 5, 5:30 and 7:30).

If I'm them, I ditch one episode of Judge Judy and give Mablean to one of the Sinclair stations (or WRAZ) and call it a day.

They also have Meredith which is being axed. Starting a 5:00 newscast would help them a ton.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They also have Meredith which is being axed. Starting a 5:00 newscast would help them a ton.

WNCN should run the same pattern that WRAL does as CBS, but make some tweaks in the process as well too. The Young & The Restless should stay on at 4pm with a lead-in to 5pm news (to create of course).

It was already announce that Meredith will leave the air so WNCN move it too late night, and already airs a double run show at late night.

Judge Mablean at 9am double run,

Let Make a Deal moves to10am,

TPIR at 11am,

Noon News,

My Carolina at 12:30pm,

EXTRA 1pm

The Bold & Beautiful at 1:30pm

The Talk at 2pm,

Ellen at 3pm

Y&R at 4pm just like WRAL

5pm-6:30 News

6:30 CBS News

7 & 7:30 Judge Judy

Now should WNCN keep their brand name as WNCN News or re-brand their news at CBS 17 News?

And the Grammy's, music's most prestigious event on WNCN in 2017. WNCN will get the Super Bowl in 2019 while WRAL will have it again in 2018.

See it's a win-win for everybody!!

Especially for WRAL, getting the Super Bowl twice in two years!

Thank God for capitalism.

Reading up on it, NBC's ratings nadir in Raleigh-Durham when it was on WRDC was mostly the fault of launching in an era when UHF stations were starting to gain traction, not to mention WRAL being given right of first refusal for NBC programs until Triangle Telecasters got the FCC to infervene, being within proximity of stronger NBC stations in nearby markets and having WRAL and WTVD as established competition on the VHF side (though Triangle Telecasters caused some of the problems by preempting NBC shows with syndies).

But seeing as WNCN is now fourth place in the ratings behind even WRAZ (a Fox affiliate that doesn't carry as much news since its co-owned with WRAL), how come the network's ratings didn't get much better than when NBC moved there 21 years ago? What's at fault in this case?

IIRC, WRDC was then WPTF-TV and in the summer of '91 when Durham Life Broadcasting sold individual stations to various owners, the TV station was sold to Brissette Broadcasting and changed the call sign to WRDC after the three cities in the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill), and re-branded the station as TRI-28.

However, this momentum stalled when Brissette laid off virtually the entire news department in a cost-cutting move in July 1991. Which led WYED (Now WNCN) to switch to NBC when TV17 was owned by Outlet and was affiliated with The WB in 1995.

See it's a win-win for everybody!!

Especially for WRAL, getting the Super Bowl twice in two years!

Thank God for capitalism.

Or even better (at least for this year) they'll have the Super Bowl three years in a row - CBS, Fox and NBC.

From the Triangle Business Journal this afternoon, the GM at WNCN is contemplating a graphics change upon the completion of the switch next month.

They had better hurry up and decide. Those graphics aren't easy to build.

But seeing as WNCN is now fourth place in the ratings behind even WRAZ (a Fox affiliate that doesn't carry as much news since its co-owned with WRAL), how come the network's ratings didn't get much better than when NBC moved there 21 years ago? What's at fault in this case?

I guess I don't understand how ONE station in ONE market can end up hurting an entire network, which has hundreds of affiliates. People keep saying that "this will negatively impact CBS," but how? It's only one station. If moving to the lowest rated would have such a negative impact, then why don't we see networks trying to move affiliations to the more profitable stations in a respective market the first chance they get?

My bet: WJTV.

Lol I was just thinking that and I wouldn't totally be shocked if the music changed, possibly even away from Arnold and the Canvas package which began on WNCN. Graphic wise that's going to be one fast overhaul... It makes sense to adapt something that's recently been put to use at a Media General or former LIN station. If that's the case, hopefully they won't half-ass it. I'm doubtful a new, outsourced custom graphics package could be produced and produced well under the time restraints the station has to contend with.

I guess I don't understand how ONE station in ONE market can end up hurting an entire network, which has hundreds of affiliates. People keep saying that "this will negatively impact CBS," but how? It's only one station. If moving to the lowest rated would have such a negative impact, then why don't we see networks trying to move affiliations to the more profitable stations in a respective market the first chance they get?

Agreed. The impact on the network as a whole will be minimal. The biggest place I see this hurting them is the content Newspath gets from WNCN vs. what they got from WRAL lol.

It seems like the opportune time to switch things up. Perhaps the smartest thing WNCN ever did was to introduce their current branding with their "L8" package. And WSPA's use of it shows that it works on A CBS station.

Perhaps they'll dip into the pool of LIN-related packages? But IMHO, they took the smart road a few years back that emphasized their brand over their network.

Archived