WRAL loses CBS affiliation effective next month

bostonmediaguy

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The name wouldn't have been my first choice. I know Raleigh is the state capital and all, but it's too broad of a name for a CBS affiliate in the Triangle as opposed to the entire state.

The look has a little of a CBS O&O vibe to it meshed with the recently launched graphic package at WSPA....even tying in the new CBS Sports graphics too...

I wonder if this is to prep for an eventual WNCT/WNCN partnership. This is something that Nexstar likes to do if they have two stations in neighboring markets.

I wonder if this is to prep for an eventual WNCT/WNCN partnership. This is something that Nexstar likes to do if they have two stations in neighboring markets.

Doesn't Sinclair do the same thing? And didn't Media General sort of do it in its later years (Lin Media-Media General)?

CBS North Carolina?!?!? There's about 6 markets in North Carolina! Why not brand as CBS Triangle, CBS 17, or even "WNCN CBS"? Media General just ignited my pet peeve!

Did they take no lessons from how people rejected WGCL's 43 rebrands outside of "CBS 46"? Even "The Triangle's CBS" would be a better name; WDJT has stuck with "CBS 58" for their entire run despite the deep-UHF number and done fine (though that was done mainly because branding with their main cable channel 5 would've run into a confusion buzzsaw with WFRV from CBS corporate at the time).

If this sticks, look for it to be reduced to "CBS NC" or "NC News" by the start of fall for the sake of simplicity.

Looks like WRAL will delay the Saturday edition of the Today Show from 8-10, while WNCN takes CBS This Morning live at 7am, ditching the 9am newscast for E/I. No word on Sunday newscasts yet (per TitanTV's extended listings)

The Sunday Morning WRAL news will still air from 7-9am. The Today Show will air at 9am, followed by Meet The Press at 10am.

So nothing changes on weekends at WRAL.

However, for WNCN, it looks like the Saturday 9:00am hour is dropped while the Sunday 9:00am hour moves to 8:00am and becomes a three-hour Sunday morning newscast from 6:00-9:00am while Saturdays looks to be one hour from 6:00-7:00am.

So finally, the weekend changes are becoming sort of clear at this point.

(This is according to TitanTV listings)

CBS North Carolina?!?!? There's about 6 markets in North Carolina! Why not brand as CBS Triangle, CBS 17, or even "WNCN CBS"? Media General just ignited my pet peeve!

Both Cleveland 19 and Denver 7 think that this is a silly name.

CcODxU-W0AAap3u.jpg

Looks as if WNCN is updating their weather graphics on the website ahead of the switch on Monday. North Carolina News Storm Team is in now for the wx department. Also it looks like the same graphics that WJTV, WSPA, WBAY and others have received recently.

"North Carolina News StormTeam" ? Holy crap. WNCN is going down the tubes. What an awful name for a weather department.

Holy hell... that will be awful. But I guess they are getting the name from North Carolina News. The name doesn't seem right to me for some reason.

Neither MG nor Nexstar are in either Charlotte or the Triad, so their dreams of a statewide news operation are a long way off.

There is no plausible way into either market. Their best shot would've been when WCNC and WGHP were for sale back in 2013 (Belo's agreement to sell to Gannett was definitive but the shareholders thought $13.75 was too low...), though MG was in the process of buying Young at the time.

There is no plausible way into either market. Their best shot would've been when WCNC and WGHP were for sale back in 2013 (Belo's agreement to sell to Gannett was definitive but the shareholders thought $13.75 was too low...), though MG was in the process of buying Young at the time.

Only way into Charlotte would be if Bahakel ever sold out.

If anything....this will help WNCT immensely in the ratings. Their biggest impediment was having to compete with WRAL, which in most cases until recently was on cable alongside WNCT in Greenville itself. WITN historically took charge as the dominant NBC station in surrounding areas when Raleigh/Durham suffered through WRDU / WPTF / WRDC as their NBC affiliate. Now WITN will have reason to fear WRAL and could use their influence to black out any duplicate programming.

Guest NewsHound

Well from what I gather, WNCN is getting a variation of sister station KIMT's CBS graphics mixed in with the new graphics the Young stations (and WSPA) are getting.

The KIMT package part is shocking since the Media General CSD and former Giant Octopus member Kathy Mosher-Boule is no longer with the company, and she was responsible for KIMT's package.

As far as CBS North Carolina, that brand is a train wreck. Hell, WGCL didn't brand themselves as CBS Georgia (yet). It would be one thing if they went the WHNS route and branded themselves as "CBS Carolina" but even then it would be weird and out of place.

All I can say is, WNCN should have just tacked on a CBS logo to the WNCN logo and called it a day. I don't see this name sticking, and maybe CBS 17 is in our future.

This station sure has hit bottom since NBC sold it years ago.

Now that WNCN and WSPA no longer use the triangles package, is there any other MG station still using it or does that render it dead?

Guest NewsHound
Well let's now here from the party that's not switching. And that's WTVD. As they released it's extremely-cheesy (Ugh!) "Still the 1s" campaign.

Actually I like it, I also like how it's a nice jab at WRAL and WNCN with the whole "still ABC" thing. I'm sure it probably does get annoying after awhile, but it makes me want to listen to Orleans.

I've always respected WTVD, even for a smaller station, ABC runs them extremely well.

Well from what I gather, WNCN is getting a variation of sister station KIMT's CBS graphics mixed in with the new graphics the Young stations (and WSPA) are getting.

The KIMT package part is shocking since the Media General CSD and former Giant Octopus member Kathy Mosher-Boule is no longer with the company, and she was responsible for KIMT's package.

As far as CBS North Carolina, that brand is a train wreck. Hell, WGCL didn't brand themselves as CBS Georgia (yet). It would be one thing if they went the WHNS route and branded themselves as "CBS Carolina" but even then it would be weird and out of place.

All I can say is, WNCN should have just tacked on a CBS logo to the WNCN logo and called it a day. I don't see this name sticking, and maybe CBS 17 is in our future.

This station sure has hit bottom since NBC sold it years ago.

Now that WNCN and WSPA no longer use the triangles package, is there any other MG station still using it or does that render it dead?

WSLS 10 is still using it, I think...

Archived