WRAL loses CBS affiliation effective next month

bostonmediaguy

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nexstar and Media General are hooking up. Get ready for MyTriangle.com or TriangleProud.com

Something tells me Nexstar is going to ditch those stupid domain names. I couldn't see Nexstar going through all that trouble with all of these new stations.

In light of Deathstar's swallowing up of Media General, and paraphrasing a certain Argentine golfer who lost the Masters, I have this to say to CBS..."Oh, what a stupid you make."
They will never get first place

WNCN will be adding a newscast in the 5:00 hour. Leading into it...guess what? The Young and the Restless at 4, same time, different station.

Also as expected the 11am news moves to noon to make room for The Price Is Right.

https://changingnewscasts.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/wncn-be-doing-shuffling-terms-of-news-when-gets-cbs/#more-2891

WNCN will be adding a newscast in the 5:00 hour. Leading into it...guess what? The Young and the Restless at 4, same time, different station.

Also as expected the 11am news moves to noon to make room for The Price Is Right.

https://changingnewscasts.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/wncn-be-doing-shuffling-terms-of-news-when-gets-cbs/#more-2891

Very classy WNCN...I called it :)

I also reported that the 7:00pm news will be cut in favor of Judge Judy... as if they weren't already showing her enough.

Just FYI on your blog. Probably not a good rule of thumb to say you have details "first on the blog" when it's in a press release from a day prior.

http://wncn.com/2016/01/27/wncn-announces-cbs-lineup-adds-local-news/

The GM is quoted as saying they're adding news. Not according to my math. Midday news goes from an hour to 30 minutes and the 7 p.m. news goes away. That's an hour of news going away. The new 5 p.m. newscast will offset that hour, but there's no additional news time ... unless I'm missing something. Just typical corporate BS spin.

The GM is quoted as saying they're adding news. Not according to my math. Midday news goes from an hour to 30 minutes and the 7 p.m. news goes away. That's an hour of news going away. The new 5 p.m. newscast will offset that hour, but there's no additional news time ... unless I'm missing something. Just typical corporate BS spin.

Midday news is a half hour now. My Carolina Today moves from 11:30 to 9am. So it's a half hour more.

Midday news is a half hour now. My Carolina Today moves from 11:30 to 9am. So it's a half hour more.

That move, though, is a little odd since WNCN could have easily moved both My Carolina Today and the midday newscast to the noon hour... or for that matter, expand both to an hour when they move to their new times, instead of putting Extra on after the former and a third episode of Judge Judy after the latter.

That move, though, is a little odd since WNCN could have easily moved both My Carolina Today and the midday newscast to the noon hour... or for that matter, expand both to an hour when they move to their new times, instead of putting Extra on after the former and a third episode of Judge Judy after the latter.

They currently show Judge Judy at 3:30, 5:00, 5:30 and 7:30pm.

After the change, the show will then be seen at 12:30, 7:00 and 7:30pm.

Not much of a change. WNCN REALLY loves this show.

They currently show Judge Judy at 3:30, 5:00, 5:30 and 7:30pm.

After the change, the show will then be seen at 12:30, 7:00 and 7:30pm.

Not much of a change. WNCN REALLY loves this show.

But do they really need to air it three times (or four times)? And if they love it so much, why isn't it at 4pm as a lead in to their news?

Because WNCN will be carrying The Young and The Restless at 4:00pm.

WNCN 17 will keep the tradition that WRAL 5 started in the Triangle by putting The Young and the Restless at 4:00pm This will lead into WNCN 17’s new hour-long newscast at 5:00pm.

I read the prior posts. I know WRAL had Y&R at 4pm. I was simply saying if WNCN is so high on Judy why not put her into the prime spot of leading into your news.

I read the prior posts. I know WRAL had Y&R at 4pm. I was simply saying if WNCN is so high on Judy why not put her into the prime spot of leading into your news.

Y&R has good ratings on WRAL and has dominate the 4pm time slot for a long time, so it would make good business sense for WNCN to capture off that for the lead-in at 5pm. Maybe Judy, doesn't do well. However placing Ellen at 3, Y&R at 4 & Judy for an hour at 7pm makes good for good programming.

That said, WBNS isn't safe from losing their affiliation... it just got punted another year. WTTE's affiliation agreement with Fox expires at the same time as WBNS's with CBS, Next December, and that is the kind of thing Sinclair (or "Cunningham") would do.

Dick Wolfe was an executive with Fox, but that was many years ago.

I may have mentioned this before, but the birthplace of what is now known as Macy's Inc. was in Columbus, when the family owners of Lazarus and Shillito's (the Lazarus family), Bloomingdale's, Filene's and Abraham and Strauss joined forces to form Federated Department Stores. They gobbled up family-owned department stores through the years.

These family-owned TV stations that want to remain in the business need to do the same thing and come up with their own "Federated Broadcasting Company." They gain enough scale and leverage this way and can still be in control. Most of these family operations are good TV stations and this might be the way to keep standards up.

Given the histories of channels 4 and 10 (which have had the same affiliations since day one) that would be much, much bigger than this affiliation switch is.

WTHR is one of the most dominant news stations in the country. I could see NBC wanting to jump over to WBNS if not for the affiliation agreement Media General just signed with NBC. I wonder if the Wolfes would want to have all their eggs in a single basket, though. They may not have a choice.

I think WBNS keeps CBS because the Browns, Bengals and Steelers are all AFC teams. The Wolfes have never been cheap about programming so I can't see reverse compensation bothering them too much. Especially if they want to sell in a few years. WBNS is worth far less as an independent.

These family-owned TV stations that want to remain in the business need to do the same thing and come up with their own "Federated Broadcasting Company." They gain enough scale and leverage this way and can still be in control. Most of these family operations are good TV stations and this might be the way to keep standards up.

I'm really in agreement. Small local broadcasters like Bonneville (which in TV is just one station), Griffin, Capitol, the Wolfes, etc. need leverage more than anything.

Archived