Winter Storm/ Blizzard Jonas Coverage

NYNewsCoverage

Have to to slightly disagree with the poster who commented about The Weather Channel. I agree, their remotes are excellent, but some of their studio anchors border on the unprofessional. At times they act like little kids....almost giggling with glee that they are able to cover this storm. I'm talking about the anchors on Friday night, and then in the 7:00 pm Eastern hour on Saturday evening, specifically.

They often interrupt each other, and the low point was Friday night, when they practically made fun of a guy stuck in the snow. While showing video of a commuter trying to help another whose car was stuck, the anchors berated the guy trying to help, saying the worst thing to do was stop, due to the risk of getting stuck. Instead, they advised not to stop, to leave the stuck driver to fend for themselves, and then said "tell him better luck next year", which was a flippant comment to make given the situation.

I understand the advice, but to call out the guy who was trying to help was a bit lacking in class.

Give me WeatherNation everytime.

I'm thinking Donna Hamilton must have a good contract. She hasn't been on air since yesterday's 6PM newscast (she has the 11 PM on Fridays off). She hasn't been seen in WBAL's coverage today while all the other stations had their lead anchor teams doing coverage.

As a side note here's a photo from WBAL's Kate Amara who lives in the DC area showing an amazing outfit a WTTG meteorologist is wearing:

[MEDIA=twitter]690985297866260481[/MEDIA]

Edit: Below is a better view of the suit. The man is Kevin McCarthy their entertainment reporter.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1659425327657660

Philly:

All stations had wall-to-wall coverage from early morning into the evening.

6ABC started out with Matt & Tamela at 5am, followed by Rick and Monica, then Walter & Sarah, while Jim came on around 4pm. Dave Murphy handled weather with Chris Sowers in the morning, and then Adam Joseph and Cecily Tynan took over. Sharrie Williams was in the newsroom reporting while Alicia Vitarelli was at the Big Board with her social media reports. Walter and Sarah handled the 10pm (on PHL17) and 11pm, with Melissa Magee on weather (Melissa was out reporting earlier). Jeff Skversky (weekend sports guy) was out reporting. WNT (with Tom Llamas) aired at 7pm.

NBC10 started at 4am and had Rosemary & Tracy in the morning, (I think Keith & Tracy briefly anchored together) followed by Keith & Denise, and lastly Jim & Jackie. Bill Henley, Glenn Schwartz, and Sheena Parveen handled weather in that order. NN anchored by Jose Diaz-Balart came on at 6:30pm.

CBS3 had Jim & Nicole, followed by Ukee & Jessica.

I didn't catch FOX29.

I watched a few mins of WABC...saw the homeless guy peaking into the camera then the Marcus Solis liveshot with the Baba Booey chick and that douchbag mos named Nick.

Laughed my ass off.

Then I went to the beach for the rest of the day.

PS

Save some of that snow in case you have a drought.

For today, here's how everything panned out in DC

WRC: Continuous coverage from 5am-12:30pm, 6-8pm, and the 11pm news as scheduled (Today was moved to COZI I believe E/I shows went there as well)

WTTG: Continuous coverage from 5am-midnight (boxing was moved to WDCA and I believe E/I was pre-empted altogether)

WJLA: 5am-6:30pm and as of my typing this post at 12:14am, they've been on since 11pm. News Channel 8 has been in for the long haul, doing round the clock coverage since 5am Friday. (E/I shows moved to Me-TV)

WUSA: Continuous coverage from 5am-8pm and 11pm news (CBS-TAM moved to Bounce along with E/I and NCAA hoops coverage).

I was watching the coverage with Optimum's "Quick Views" channel where you see up to 9 channels at once and I chose:

• News 12 The Bronx (Surprising did a good job even though they were sharing coverage with News 12 Brooklyn)
  • NY1 (Awful)
  • NY1 Noticias (A touch better than their sister station)
  • WABC ('Nuff said)
  • WCBS (Good, CBS Sports programming went to WLNY)
  • WNBC (Good along with WNJU, they went non-stop too)
  • WNYW (Lacking, showed up fully after Noon, half hour weather updates during E/I time)
  • WPIX (Decent job after airing their E/I content)
  • WXTV (Showed up at random)

And the worst coverage of the storm in NYC belongs to NY1. They did the snow coverage for 5-10 mins of the top of the hour then they went with consumer watch and money watch or whatever crap they have on the weekends until 4pm then it started to pick up the coverage. Weather...is not their strongest department at all. They only have one on-air person in that department (John Davitt) (Unofficially they have two others they use only at 11pm and only and if only if John is not there they might show up early on a bad day) John Davitt was on-air from 6am to 11:30pm, he usually shows up at Noon and 8pm Monday to Friday on bad days.

I always have a little problem with NY1 for a while which I will explain later one day.

Philly:

All stations had wall-to-wall coverage from early morning into the evening.

I didn't catch FOX29.

I watched Fox 29. Mike and Alex did the morning shift, with Sue and Kathy doing weather. The coverage mostly was just like what you see on Good Day--funnily enough, because the weekend news just started under the Good Day name. A highlight was when everyone was talking about this place that made omelettes and all wanted to trek through the show to get their orders.

And also when a couple sent a pic dressed exactly like Mike and Alex.

It was a really good coverage.

As a side note here's a photo from WBAL's Kate Amara who lives in the DC area showing an amazing outfit a WTTG meteorologist is wearing.

The man is Kevin McCarthy their entertainment reporter.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1659425327657660

That suit is frickin' awesome. He looks just like and reminds me of that guy who wore suits with question marks across the threads, yelling to us that there were ways to beat the government and save money.

questions.jpg?w=450 latest?cb=20110928080721

That suit is frickin' awesome. He looks just like and reminds me of that guy who wore suits with question marks across the threads, yelling to us that there were ways to beat the government and save money.

You can buy the suits here: http://www.opposuits.com/suits/collection/christmas-costume-suit-snowflake.html

Appears all sizes are $99.

Coincidentally Matthew Lesko lives in the immediate Maryland suburbs just outside the Beltway.

So WBAL just ran a promo saying they were on air for 15 hours straight on Saturday - the longest of all the Baltimore stations. Today it seems like their helicopter (or at least the footage shown on the news) spent a good deal of time in the Harrisburg market getting video that WGAL and CNN used showing various roof collapses. Today they were on the air from 5-10AM moving Today to WBAL+, they took a break for Meet The Press at 10 and returned for an hour at 11.

WJZ, WMAR and WBFF all were on the air either at 5 or 6 AM. I watched a bit of WJZ's coverage and they preempted CBS Sunday Morning. I'm not sure about the other two as I was switching back and forth between WBAL and WJZ.

I noticed Harry Cicma of WNBC was reporting from New York for The Weather Channel and initially his jacket showed the NBC4 logo but later hits of the day they had it covered up with gaffers tape. I wonder why they did that considering they used/mentioned NBC talent through out the storm.

I'm curious do the stations have to pay back or somehow remunerate the networks for programming that was either preempted or transferred to their digital subchanels?

I'm curious do the stations have to pay back or somehow remunerate the networks for programming that was either preempted or transferred to their digital subchanels?

It's a great question, but unless somebody wants to show us an affiliates agreement it's doubtful we would be privy to those details. It would vary by station, and by what level of detail was negotiated at the time the contract was executed.

There may be a quid pro quo... or some serious documentation by some traffic or other accounting types in the front office..

• 2 weeks later...

From Brad Nitz's Twitter:

530099ccfeb7714801a9b2c43c3d5fd2.jpg

The best part about this? WGCL increased from 13,000 viewers at 4:00 to 20,000 at 6:00 (half of WXIA's audience), while WAGA gained 2,617 more viewers at 6:00!

WSB, on the other hand, lost 13,139 viewers at 6:00!!!

Archived