Winter Storm/ Blizzard Jonas Coverage

NYNewsCoverage

It's the Blizzard of 2016. Let's dispense with the boy band shenanigans. If the goal was to make it trend on Twitter, then that's failed, because #Blizzard2016 is on there, not #Jonas.

That being said, I kind of miss having The Weather Channel right now, partly because of said shenanigans. Fios hasn't carried it for nearly a year now, and AccuWeather is pretty much a taped loop.

That being said, I'll chime in with what Philly is doing. It's been a lonnng time since I've done anything like this, and my interest in TV news is nowhere near what it used to be, but I'll give it a shot:

KYW went on at 4 today, and both it and WCAU did hour-long 7pm newscasts. WPVI stayed with Jeopardy and Wheel - Gotta admit, so did I - while WTXF aired whatever the hell it is they air after the lottery drawing. WCAU went further than that, doing an hour at 11 and pushing Fallon back to midnight.

Everyone is starting early tomorrow, I think. 3 and 6 go on at 5am, 10 is doing a 4am start, and I don't know what 29 is doing. I don't know if they're going continuous or not, but a facebook video chat with Hurricane Schwartz kind of said that 10 was going straight through from 4am to 8pm. We'll see if they actually blow out the E/I block that the FCC forces them to air.

It's the Blizzard of 2016. Let's dispense with the boy band shenanigans. If the goal was to make it trend on Twitter, then that's failed, because #Blizzard2016 is on there, not #Jonas.

That being said, I kind of miss having The Weather Channel right now, partly because of said shenanigans. Fios hasn't carried it for nearly a year now, and AccuWeather is pretty much a taped loop.

That being said, I'll chime in with what Philly is doing. It's been a lonnng time since I've done anything like this, and my interest in TV news is nowhere near what it used to be, but I'll give it a shot:

KYW went on at 4 today, and both it and WCAU did hour-long 7pm newscasts. WPVI stayed with Jeopardy and Wheel - Gotta admit, so did I - while WTXF aired whatever the hell it is they air after the lottery drawing. WCAU went further than that, doing an hour at 11 and pushing Fallon back to midnight.

Everyone is starting early tomorrow, I think. 3 and 6 go on at 5am, 10 is doing a 4am start, and I don't know what 29 is doing. I don't know if they're going continuous or not, but a facebook video chat with Hurricane Schwartz kind of said that 10 was going straight through from 4am to 8pm. We'll see if they actually blow out the E/I block that the FCC forces them to air.

Yeah, I've been wondering why you suddenly vanished. Good to have you back.

Yesterday in DC:

WRC: Non-stop coverage from 11am-11:30pm (regular programming aired on COZI)

WTTG: Non-stop coverage from 3pm-8pm and 10pm-1am

WJLA: Non-stop coverage from Noon-6:30 and 11-11:35pm, however News Channel 8 ran live overnight coverage with Melanie Hastings, Dave Lucas, and Devon Lucie.

WUSA: Non-stop coverage from Noon-8 and 11-11:35 (regular programming aired on Bounce and extended storm coverage aired there as well during CBS primetime)

Nice to see you posting back here! FWIW, WFMZ is having extended coverage today. Karen Mallett & Bo Koltnow have been on since I'm assuming 7AM, and just saw on Facebook that Melanie Falcon & Jim Vaughan are on their way in. Jeff Bolden & Steve Mittman are both in doing traffic and there are at least 2 meteorologists on hand. Historic storm for us in the Lehigh Valley, too ... and it wasn't supposed to be originally!

The Weather Channel is really doing a remarkable job covering "Jonas," as they always do with these big storms. I know there's a growing number of people who prefer WeatherNation and Accuweather, and the two newer networks are better at actually having forecasts all the time without "fluff" and reality shows. But on days like this, no one can hold a candle to TWC's national, wall-to-wall coverage and live reports from the field. It's not even close.

HLLY Update ...

WGAL 8 been on the air since 5AM ... CBS21 and ABC27 are also still non stop-coverage. FOX43 gave up.

WGAL 8 said a person mentioned on their livesteam page that they are watching from the Middle East.

... and it's still snowing. Stay safe and stay indoors.

-- Matt

I've been watching a few of the DC stations in the past 45 minutes via their websites. What I saw of WRC was good, but they stopped for a few hours at 3pm. I've been watching WUSA since then; it's not bad, either.

wusa9_blizzard.jpg.a000e65c4769de418ac667ebdff1c2e9.jpg

I just switched to WJLA. The graphics feel cheaper compared to WRC and WUSA, but it may be the large font sizes.

I've been watching a few of the DC stations in the past 45 minutes via their websites. What I saw of WRC was good, but they stopped for a few hours at 3pm. I've been watching WUSA since then; it's not bad, either.

[ATTACH=full]2558[/ATTACH]

I just switched to WJLA. The graphics feel cheaper compared to WRC and WUSA, but it may be the large font sizes.

Yeah I watched all (4) however WRC was superior, WUSA was a close second. WTTG/FOX 5 not bad, but yeah WJLA/ABC 7 the whole Sinclair graphics doesn't feel big market, but they have good coverage.

They all are going strong right now. I know WBAL preempted Today as did WJZ to CBS This Morning.

I don't know about WPVI and WCAU, but KYW moved CBS This Morning ( and literally all other CBS programming to WPSG except for the E/I kids block

Archived