KING's new studio

Viper550

http://www.king5.com/story/about-us/2016/01/28/king-5-news-pre-emptions-we-prepare-move/79189322/

I don't think I've seen so many stations in a single market do these redesigns in such quick succession before. First KOMO, then KIRO. KCPQ's been on a temporary newsroom set since early January, and now KING's moving to a brand new location (Home Plate Center, near Safeco Field) altogether.

I just hope the new set isn't just a carbon copy of KARE.

Their current set debut back in 1999 and has never had never had a refresh, 17 years is quite long for a set to have little change or refresh. I'm guessing they're part of that if it aint broke don't fix it.

I know its not the only one... *cough* WJZ *cough*

http://www.king5.com/story/about-us/2016/01/28/king-5-news-pre-emptions-we-prepare-move/79189322/

I don't think I've seen so many stations in a single market do these redesigns in such quick succession before. First KOMO, then KIRO. KCPQ's been on a temporary newsroom set since early January, and now KING's moving to a brand new location (Home Plate Center, near Safeco Field) altogether.

I just hope the new set isn't just a carbon copy of KARE.

KING is the only one to move into a new buildings while the others just remodeled existing locations.

I don't think they needed to take so many pictures of the sign.

Also, I've never said this before but I love the fact that KING has their sister station KONG. It's just so cool to me that together they're KING-KONG

Plus, they're next to each other on Cable. KING on Channel 5 and KONG on Channel 6

[MEDIA=twitter]698540179204739073[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]698524660103778305[/MEDIA]

So here it is; it's a streetside studio but not angled towards the streetside. I'm hoping this is just a morning show set and there's something bigger upstairs (the ads promoted the debut as being on Monday, and a certain blog you hate mentioned a "360 degree" studio with a view into the newsroom), because it feels good for a morning set but probably wouldn't work well for everything else.

There are more pictures here.

http://www.king5.com/story/about-us/k5-home/2016/02/12/king-5-home-plate-center/80299076/

Looks like that is part of the main set.

And the window being referred to isn't into the newsroom, but into the studio from streetside. NWCN has a desk in the newsroom that's used as its set.

Not sure how it comes across on air, but has some of that sterile feel of the KARE set, and feels like a bunch of monitors were set up in a garage. I guess this building didn't have any floors with the really high ceilings of a building built for television.

Not as bad as the KARE effort for home base though, at least there is a substantial desk.

There are more pictures here.

http://www.king5.com/story/about-us/k5-home/2016/02/12/king-5-home-plate-center/80299076/

Looks like that is part of the main set.

And the window being referred to isn't into the newsroom, but into the studio from streetside. NWCN has a desk in the newsroom that's used as its set.

Not sure how it comes across on air, but has some of that sterile feel of the KARE set, and feels like a bunch of monitors were set up in a garage. I guess this building didn't have any floors with the really high ceilings of a building built for television.

Not as bad as the KARE effort for home base though, at least there is a substantial desk.

From that photo gallery, really? They included a picture of a freaking drink machine?

Anywho, while the set does have some pretty sterile elements, it's a vast improvement over what they had before.

I have a friend at KING who says the set shoots very flat with a cheap IKEA feel to it, many insiders are not happy with the final look. During rehearsals they pretty much used up all the limited shots the set has to offer with nothing left to reveal to viewers down the road. Looking at the photos it's easy to see why; the backgrounds are very two dimensional, not allot of depth, visual layers or interest, and the scale of the anchor desk is a bit too big for the set. The three vertical monitors in the center background are a very 90's medium market look. All things considered, not the best results for a station of KING's stature in a market like Seattle, especially when KOMO & KIRO both have great looking sets now. Word is this is a Jack Morton design, if that's true, that company has really lost its creative edge.

Eh. I had no idea how close their new location was to SafeCo field. Are they keeping their live trucks at this new location? I imagine after games it may be difficult to quickly deploy / return live trucks due to traffic congestion.

It's basically, a brighter, more dull version of KCPQ's old set

Iykb7zp.jpg

It too was a bit cramped looking on-air, but at least it was visually interesting with the colors, patterns and how they used their screens (especially after they replaced the single flat screen with the set of four. Also, is over a month on a temporary set normal? It must be REALLY good if it's taking them this long to build it).

And for those curious, KING's old studio property was sold for $50 million and is going to be redeveloped.

[MEDIA=twitter]698540179204739073[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]698524660103778305[/MEDIA]

So here it is; it's a streetside studio but not angled towards the streetside. I'm hoping this is just a morning show set and there's something bigger upstairs (the ads promoted the debut as being on Monday, and a certain blog you hate mentioned a "360 degree" studio with a view into the newsroom), because it feels good for a morning set but probably wouldn't work well for everything else.

That control room looks like it was designed by someone who has never been in a control room before. Why the hell would you have the audio console facing the monitor wall and the switcher facing 90 degrees away from the monitor wall??? That's going to cause some problems when the time comes they have to manually switch something.

Having difficulties editing my previous post.

Word is this is a Jack Morton design, if that's true, that company has really lost its creative edge.

Looking at Jack Morton's website it appears they do big budget set design for the networks very well. I imagine they're not used to the smaller budget and studio limitations now a days.

That control room looks like it was designed by someone who has never been in a control room before. Why the hell would you have the audio console facing the monitor wall and the switcher facing 90 degrees away from the monitor wall??? That's going to cause some problems when the time comes they have to manually switch something.

I searched on Instagram and I saw a picture that made me think there was a monitor above the switcher.

[MEDIA=instagram]BBuugSmgRTx[/MEDIA]

Archived