KING's new studio

Viper550

From that photo gallery, really? They included a picture of a freaking drink machine?

Anywho, while the set does have some pretty sterile elements, it's a vast improvement over what they had before.

I glanced at the photo gallery ... I don't think it's THAT bad. You gotta do with what you got. Love all the history flashbacks they put in the newsroom and how they name their meeting rooms after area rivers. Nice touch.

-- Matt

This set is OK and a slight upgrade over KARE's new set. However, the set looks a little bit downmarket compared to KOMO and KIRO. Either Tegna is pretty arrogant about KING's dominance in Seattle, or they really put some of the set money into the coffee machine.

That control room looks like it was designed by someone who has never been in a control room before. Why the hell would you have the audio console facing the monitor wall and the switcher facing 90 degrees away from the monitor wall??? That's going to cause some problems when the time comes they have to manually switch something.

I imagine it's because they're on ELC and don't really need those systems to be in a place that would make sense in a control room of the past.

How much smaller is their new location compared to their old one? Looking at their old building on Google maps their old building seems massive

KING is leasing 58,000 square feet. Their prior building was 200,000 square feet which according to the article was designed to additionally house radio studios in addition to the corporate headquarters of King Broadcasting Company.

Recent new builds of television stations have been declining in size from their previous homes. This probably has to do with stations producing less non news content requiring fewer studios, the fewer number of people required to produce the newscasts and the shrinking size of equipment.

Edit: After doing a quick Google search I came across this result from The Landmarks Preservation Board where one person said that the renovation in the early 80s resulted in a lot of redundant space.

The newsroom is average, and as much as I would like to drink the same KING 5 cool-aide their staff has, I just can't get behind the flat, cheap, already dated on-air look of the product now in the newsroom and the set. Maybe the reason why historical video footage seems to dominate the promos and new digs segments is because there's not a whole lot to talk about in the new digs? I realize KING has always had an affinity to promote its broadcast history, but it's 2016 already people. How about honoring your stations place in history by actually spending some money commensurate with your stature and market size on the on-air look next time? Let's face it, this would have never happened under Belo. They would have known how to spend the $50 million dollars they got for the old building. Tegna may be a new name, but the old Gannett culture of lets do it as cheap as possible is still very much alive and well.

As someone who was very critical of the Tegna package when it debuted, I have to admit that it's aged better than some of the other 3 or 4 year old group packages. The little updates that have been rolled out over time have helped the initial clunkiness of this look.

The newsroom is average, and as much as I would like to drink the same KING 5 cool-aide their staff has, I just can't get behind the flat, cheap, already dated on-air look of the product now in the newsroom and the set. Maybe the reason why historical video footage seems to dominate the promos and new digs segments is because there's not a whole lot to talk about in the new digs? I realize KING has always had an affinity to promote its broadcast history, but it's 2016 already people. How about honoring your stations place in history by actually spending some money commensurate with your stature and market size on the on-air look next time? Let's face it, this would have never happened under Belo. They would have known how to spend the $50 million dollars they got for the old building. Tegna may be a new name, but the old Gannett culture of lets do it as cheap as possible is still very much alive and well.

Ya!

And they would have hired real lumberjacks to cut and assemble the set.

Lumberjacks with red beards.

When will Tegna realize that those graphics didn't age well and look awful?

I will say those Tegna blocks graphics are something to be desired, but I will say they are a heck of alot better than those cheap Gannett graphics circa 2008. I do wonder how long they plan to continue using those blocks for graphics.

As someone who was very critical of the Tegna package when it debuted, I have to admit that it's aged better than some of the other 3 or 4 year old group packages. The little updates that have been rolled out over time have helped the initial clunkiness of this look.

Wouldn't you say the Scripps Howard package has aged more than TEGNA/Gannett package?

KING 5 newsroom reminds me of when WXIA moved out of their former building that was next door to WSB in Atlanta. It seems that TEGNA/Gannett is going for this contemporary look for it newsrooms & sets. KARE, WXIA, KING. It seems they have moved away from having those lavish sets at their shops, however it seems as a company they want their shops to feel like Google, or Apple with the many young people that working there IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw one or two videos (maybe they were BTS) showing how they use the shoot with the anchors on the other side of the desk to show the windows and I think that shot looks like crap. Maybe it's the video I saw but the blocking was off when you could see the key board/mouse and the divider for the traditional position against the monitor wall.

Edit: This came from a producer on the show. If this is how the shot appears occasionally on camera then I don't like it.

[MEDIA=instagram]BB1ERBEl_tY[/MEDIA]

I saw one or two videos (maybe they were BTS) showing how they use the shoot with the anchors on the other side of the desk to show the windows and I think that shot looks like crap. Maybe it's the video I saw but the blocking was off when you could see the key board/mouse and the divider for the traditional position against the monitor wall.

Edit: This came from a producer on the show. If this is how the shot appears occasionally on camera then I don't like it.

[MEDIA=instagram]BB1ERBEl_tY[/MEDIA]

Points for creativity, and it definitely is a good idea, however they didn't give themselves enough window space and the desk isn't properly designed. They should have put the desk on a turn table of sorts so they could turn it around...something that many stations do (either that or on wheels). However, given that the back of the desk has lighting on it to accentuate it, it would seem that this was in fact the intended effect.

• 4 months later...

Archived