Geoffrey

Yep. I've seen it.

You just opened the flood gates to...

• Launch date?
  • Font change?
  • Enforcer?
  • Color scheme?
  • Is the logo on the left or right?
  • (My personal favorite) Do they look like what CBS News uses?

...and a million other silly questions.

(Full disclosure: that silly rant and list is a thinly-veiled attempt at asking all of those questions without sounding like a doofus. :D)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Launch date?
  • Font change?
  • Enforcer?
  • Color scheme?

(Full disclosure: that silly rant and list is a thinly-veiled attempt at asking all of those questions without sounding like a doofus. :D)

A new set?

(gunshot)

I'm not sure whether you can construe anything from this, but I will share.

WBZ/Boston has slowly been updating their weather graphics to a more simplistic presentation as depicted here. In addition, they recently updated studio monitors to showcase the logo with a collage of area landmarks.CgHQn-TVAAASeWp.jpg.dfceb1f998d1d54b10a4b2ec19c016c7.jpg

12957496_1001985206543793_1245128593362124919_o.thumb.jpg.6cb0dbde357053d31863aaf6e1708bed.jpg

• Launch date?
  • Font change?
  • Enforcer?
  • Color scheme?

Message me on a private chat in Facebook since we are facebook friends and I might tell you.

Sweeps starts on the 28th, so if this is true, probably somewhere around then.

After sweeps.

I really thought WCBS had turned a corner.

Relatively speaking, the past few years have been extremely stable (compared to WCBS of the past and even WNBC of current). Anchor teams remaining in place; anchors themselves stay with the station; maybe a higher than usual reporter turnover (especially compared to a station like WABC), but the main components (anchors, graphics, set) have all remained constant.

Changing the '2' after two decades of it is just stupid. It makes no sense. Who cares if it's not something you'd create today? It has become iconic to the station for people, whether they watch WCBS regularly or not. When was the last time WABC had a significant logo change? WNBC (besides olympics)?

WCBS's biggest enemy is and has always been itself.

Is the goal to make me think that I'm watching the same CBS 2 whether I'm in New York, Chicago, or LA? It's an endless general creeping of standardization... graphics were the biggest, obvious standardization, now the logos. If we keep going down this path, in 10 years, for "budget reasons," Maurice and Kristine will be anchoring KCBS's and WBBM's evening broadcasts from the Broadcast Center in New York (hey, everyone uses the same graphics and same '2', so why not?!).

It's a small change, and people might get used to it quickly. But why? WCBS has made huge gains, in my opinion, in large part because of stability. They have a really solid weekday anchor lineup-- a lineup with longevity. The current weekday anchors (Maurice, Kristine, Dana, Chris, and Mary) all have anywhere between 9 and 25 years, not just in the market, but at WCBS. That's incredible! No other station can claim that. (Off the top of my head, I think their five weekday anchors have more than 80 years of experience in NYC-- and if you loop Cindy in, you have someone else with another 23 years at WCBS alone.) That's a huge difference from WCBS of the past, which would import new anchors from out of the market and shakeup all of their anchor teams on regularly and rolling basis.

The only things that have been more consistent than the current '2' at WCBS is Dana Tyler-- and right now that consistency is missing too.

So why start changing things again? Because, again, WCBS is its own biggest enemy.

I'm obviously being more extreme about this than necessary: it's just a logo. But the change itself is also unnecessary. This just doesn't sit well with me, particularly because I was just thinking about how stable they've been. Guess that couldn't last long.

I really thought WCBS had turned a corner.

Relatively speaking, the past few years have been extremely stable (compared to WCBS of the past and even WNBC of current). Anchor teams remaining in place; anchors themselves stay with the station; maybe a higher than usual reporter turnover (especially compared to a station like WABC), but the main components (anchors, graphics, set) have all remained constant.

Changing the '2' after two decades of it is just stupid. It makes no sense. Who cares if it's not something you'd create today? It has become iconic to the station for people, whether they watch WCBS regularly or not. When was the last time WABC had a significant logo change? WNBC (besides olympics)?

WCBS's biggest enemy is and has always been itself.

This isn't the WCVB arrow 5 or WISN's 'lined 12' by any means. It's literally a Futura Bold italic '2' thrown in after Westinghouse came in and kept out of either familiarity, nobody caring about it as long as it looked like a '2' or ease of use. If your standard for 'stability' is how long a logo is kept that's a pretty shaky standard to determine which newscast you watch.

I think some of the new graphics are improvements but I can't help but feel like it's the most recent package modified to look more like NBC 4's.

The vertical alignment of the text on the lower-thirds is off... It's all too high.

The "New Information" and "Breaking News"-type graphics on the left side of the lower-thirds will appear to be cut off by people viewing on a 4:3 TV set, which would be fine if the whole package was 16:9 but it's strange for the left and right sides of the screen to be using different safe areas.

And the logos in the studio (on the fronts of the news and weather desks) definitely use the WBBM "2" while on-screen graphics use the KCBS "2"... Not sure how that happened.

Overall, not bad, but it looks like another in-house design with, once again, a lack of attention to detail.

Overall, not bad, but it looks like another in-house design with, once again, a lack of attention to detail.

Bingo. The new look is good, in theory, but lacks most of the refinement and that attention to detail that's found in Look F or many of the ABC packages.

This isn't the WCVB arrow 5 or WISN's 'lined 12' by any means. It's literally a Futura Bold italic '2' thrown in after Westinghouse came in and kept out of either familiarity, nobody caring about it as long as it looked like a '2' or ease of use. If your standard for 'stability' is how long a logo is kept that's a pretty shaky standard to determine which newscast you watch.

Agreed lol

By the way, here's a look at the conflicting logos. Sure, most viewers won't see it, but we clearly do.

But isn't it really just in a box? The 2's are identical.

Bingo. The new look is good, in theory, but lacks most of the refinement and that attention to detail that's found in Look F or many of the ABC packages.

Or for that matter the graphics of 2013 package. I know. I voiced this concern to the person who shared it with me.

I agree with some of the other comments. The package is not bad, but it's also not great. To me, it's almost like a combination of the two most recent packages (the 2013 package, and the 2010 package). The worst part is the lack of full 16:9 graphics. It's 2016. Come on!

I can see the WNBC similarities, but I actually like the package. It's more of a revamp/update of the previous graphics. Not horrible.

It's similar, but this is a blatant rip off of KABC 2012.

Also, note the absence of any 3D work (except for the logo). Most everything here I can build in Illustrator and import into After Affects.

Archived