New Set Coming to KGO

MonkeyFighter

image.png

KGO broke the weather wall in the SF market. Full body weather shots now instead of waist up or knees. Man if only Rosemary Orozco was at KGO doing weather on their new set lol

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KNSD doesn't use a 4k live cam. I think its an IP based HD camera located at Coasterra across from Shelter Island. The camera is so crappy, that they don't even take live shots for the 11pm news, instead they use a static picture. Unfortunately, some of these stations went all out with the high quality monitor backdrop, while forgetting to upgrade their live cams to compensate for those high resolution monitors.

The monitors are 4K but not the cameras. Those IP cameras that WSI and other weather companies promote are only real good in my mind if you want to have a quick on screen snapshot or like how KNTV and WCAU do with their weather only showing a position of the camera. The encoding mechanisms for the cameras may be good but often times it's the actual bandwidth at the site (WSI's cameras which I can't find right now) delivered a 1080p backdrop with a 5Mbps uplink speed. Everything is smooth sailing until the bandwidth drops and you see compression artifacts and you almost never get a guaranteed consistent uplink speed. Another issue is that the stations are now installing cameras that aren't necessarily designed for low light conditions or for broadcasting so at night the images will have "noise" to them.

Have you not seen WABC's?

WPVI's are fine, tbh. Overly flashy and dated to the late 2000s, but fine.

I've seen WABC's and while they could be better, I still hate WPVI's. Especially with the extra elements they've added in the past couple of years. I don't like WABC's opens, and the fonts used could be more basic, but WPVI's are a train wreck.

I give props to WLS for being most creative with the video screen behind the desk. Also like their graphics the most and the desk is the least distracting, though probably a function of the tight studio.

But KGO is very impressive for the set itself.

There are pros and cons with the 5 ABC sets in question.

• WABC: The desk is big, oddly tall, and generally an eye sore. It did, however, introduce some of the design cues that spread to the other stations (and were then executed better), and it's superior to the broom closet they were in.
  • KABC: arguably the most upscale of the bunch, it has an almost network level feel. The desk is huge, but they do a good job of not letting it overtake different camera angles. That said, I wish they had some kind of "weather center", even if little happens in SoCal.
  • WLS: my favorite, but I'm biased. It's not quite as refined as some of the others, and draws a lot from WABC, but it improved on New York's mistakes. For my money, it's my favorite home base, and does a fantastic job of using such a small, awkward space, while still featuring 4 stand-up areas (including behind the desk, plus the occasional outdoor stand-up) and weather spot.
  • KGO: a smaller scale KABC-inspried look, it does well in a reasonably small space. The desk is too big, but they make up for it with the interesting "ABC7"-topped secondary desk. Their seamless anchor backdrop isn't as washed out as their LA sister. Perhaps the biggest gripe...what took so long?
  • KTRK: the combo platter. The light, open feel of the west coast with many design cues of the east. Unfortunately, I feel like there's a lot of wasted space, creating a bit of an empty feeling. In turn, a desk that already forces the outside anchor to stand looks even smaller.

. I'm still waiting for the day when one of the stations here wises up and puts a camera on Treasure Island, pointing back at SF.

It's been tried many times by all the stations.

There is a very good reason nobody does it.

Can you guess why?

It's been tried many times by all the stations.

There is a very good reason nobody does it.

Can you guess why?

As much as I don't want to engage, I'll bite—sunset? Guessing it would be an issue for about two months a year during the 5:00/6:00pm shows, but dayside and 9:00/11:00pm would be fine. Wouldn't be an issue at all from mid-April to mid-September though.

Yeah they used that static skyline duratran (which was a great shot) from when the set debuted in what 2002, 2003? until they went HD later in 2006 or 2007 and installed the video wall.

It was actually always a rear-projection video screen—they just projected a still image onto it. The transition to HD brought with it a new HD roof camera, and so once they had a camera source that wouldn't look terrible on such a huge screen, they started using it.

As much as I don't want to engage, I'll bite—sunset? Guessing it would be an issue for about two months a year during the 5:00/6:00pm shows, but dayside and 9:00/11:00pm would be fine. Wouldn't be an issue at all from mid-April to mid-September though.

The lens flare after 1pm kills the shot most of the year. The shot is mostly backlit and that kills it. Next problem is where are you going to place it?

You need permission for the camera,housing, electronics and actual real estate to place it on.

It's not free...and the shot to this date is not worth the hassle or the cost.

Okay, I know it might be more than a little cliche to feature the Golden Gate Bridge and other globally-known landmarks (which they use, as well), but what's with KGO using the shipping yards/loading docks/harbors in all (that I know of) the opens? Is it such a desirable, telegenic area that warrants decent exposure like this on the main title card? It just seems like an odd choice for all shows...

And I thought KPIX was generic recycling their stock footage with the updated graphics but this is more shameful they only have 2 opens for the daytime (morning, 11am, 4, 5 & 6pm) and one for the nighttime at 11pm

Archived