CBS uses Paul Magers to announce Ali's death

FiveNews

I read an article on TVSpy where it appears that the CBS Network was caught a little off guard by Muhammad Ali's death. Lester Holt (NBC) and Elizabeth Vargas (ABC) broke into their respective programming to announce the legendary boxer's death. Over at CBS, it seems that everyone was out enjoying a Friday night so they threw Paul Magers into the hot seat to announce his death. It really isn't a big deal since KCBS and the CBS LA bureau are in the same building, but it does make the CBS network look a little sloppy.

Where the hell was CBSN in all this? I thought that one of the reasons that CBSN exists is to provide a heads up to CBS when a major event happens so that CBS can let us know. Both CBS and CBSN dropped the ball on this one,

Where the hell was CBSN in all this? I thought that one of the reasons that CBSN exists is to provide a heads up to CBS when a major event happens so that CBS can let us know. Both CBS and CBSN dropped the ball on this one,

When I clicked on CBSN the night of his death it appeared they had recorded the obituary earlier in the day. All the clips before and after it had a different host.

When I clicked on CBSN the night of his death it appeared they had recorded the obituary earlier in the day. All the clips before and after it had a different host.

All the news organizations have pre-recorded obituaries prepared for famous people, they are made WAY in advance so that they can be played when the new breaks

All the news organizations have pre-recorded obituaries prepared for famous people, they are made WAY in advance so that they can be played when the new breaks

I know stuff is pre recorded but at that time it seemed off the way it was handled.

Yeah- that happened on 30 Rock once when Kenneth saw Tracy Jordan's obituary- he thought he was really dead until someone told him otherwise (they happened to be editing it).

I honestly thought CBS didn't even bother to air a special report, but now I know...12:49! I've said it on here before: CBS is always last to break-in with just about every special report. How pathetic!

Also, Vargas anchored the report on ABC, but Rebecca Jarvis anchored Nightline. Does anybody know if Nightline was live or pre-recorded? I missed the show's beginning, when after the intro, the anchor's name, and sometimes "LIVE ET" appears on the top left.

sheez if something involving big involving the government were to happen (ie the killing of bin laden) in that case they would have called pelly right?

In that case, the White House usually tips off the networks that a big announcement is happening and the nets move their big names into place.

That said, it's a little ridiculous in this day and age for CBS not to have a schedule so that there's at least one special events anchor and producer on call at any given moment. No network should be left scrambling to deliver news on a Friday night.

I don't even have a beef with using a local anchor to deliver the news. He's well-established and good at what he does, even if he's not known nationally. They use WCBS employees at network level, so this is fine. HOWEVER, the man was on his deathbed all day. Heck, the Miami Marlins offed him 4 hours before the news came down. This was not at all unexpected. I don't care who delivered the message, but the delay in spreading the message was unacceptable.

In that case, the White House usually tips off the networks that a big announcement is happening and the nets move their big names into place.

That said, it's a little ridiculous in this day and age for CBS not to have a schedule so that there's at least one special events anchor and producer on call at any given moment. No network should be left scrambling to deliver news on a Friday night.

Ya see Mr. VP of News....

I just saved you money by going with KCBS...

Sure we got beat by a few minutes, but the only people that noticed or care don't count....

I saved the network MONEY!

Ya see Mr. VP of News....

I just saved you money by going with KCBS...

Sure we got beat by a few minutes, but the only people that noticed or care don't count....

I saved the network MONEY!

I wonder if they were planning on just running a crawl but at the last minute they saw ABC do a half hour of breaking news and NBC a few minutes of a special report?

I wonder if they were planning on just running a crawl but at the last minute they saw ABC do a half hour of breaking news and NBC a few minutes of a special report?

Oh hell to the yes on that one...

I can picture the poor on-duty desk person at CBS muttering..."no....no....no....not tonight....not me."

Here is the rub,

It should not be an issue having to have the west coast desk pick up the late breaking stuff. It should be a fluid passing or hand-off.

Just get me the info correct and quick. I don't care who or where the flash comes from, as long as it's inside "our" system.

CBS should be saying,

"We meant to do that" (not the late part) "and it worked like intended".

When it looks all sloppy and late then you end up looking stupid.

I can picture the poor on-duty desk person at CBS muttering..."no....no....no....not tonight....not me."

They're probably thinking of the producer that was fired back in 2004 when Yassar Arafat died? Although the producer in that instance was instructed just to run a crawl and NOT to break in. Apparently it was a big episode of CSI.

ABC had the graphics and audio prepared last year. I got it last year.

Archived