NBC launching new Telemundo San Diego O&O

A3N

With ten days to go, Entravision on Tuesday announced the shape of things to come at XHAS and revealed its anchor lineups for its newscasts come July 3.

The 5pm news hour will be anchored by Martín Borchardt. The 11pm newscast will have a female anchor pairing of Estephanía Báez and Aranzuzú Álvarez.

There are no weekend newscasts planned.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With ten days to go, Entravision on Tuesday announced the shape of things to come at XHAS and revealed its anchor lineups for its newscasts come July 3.

The 5pm news hour will be anchored by Martín Borchardt. The 11pm newscast will have a female anchor pairing of Estephanía Báez and Aranzuzú Álvarez.

There are no weekend newscasts planned.

Credit to Entravision for keeping local news on XHAS. I thought they would have just consolidated everything into KBNT's newscasts.

Credit to Entravision for keeping local news on XHAS. I thought they would have just consolidated everything into KBNT's newscasts.

The retention of news in these timeslots had been announced already, but not the anchors.

Interesting ,

Now that means we may actually have a 4 way race for the mixmex market in combined SD/TJ.

The retention of news in these timeslots had been announced already, but not the anchors.

I know, but I mean they could have went the route XETV took and just give up.

Interesting ,

Now that means we may actually have a 4 way race for the mixmex market in combined SD/TJ.

I don't pay attention to XEWT much, but do they actually have reporters in San Diego? Did they rely at all on XETV's news operations for pictures on the US side before they shut down?

I don't pay attention to XEWT much, but do they actually have reporters in San Diego? Did they rely at all on XETV's news operations for pictures on the US side before they shut down?

XEWT has a bureau in the USA that was (at last check) running out of the Energy Communications office in Chula Vista where XEWT has it's USA sales offices.

They are most certainly a local player in local news.

The new name of the XHAS newscasts is taken not from the new network but from Entravision's news portal. Noticias Ya Frontera.

I believe this is the open:

[MEDIA=vimeo]211371600[/MEDIA]

Promo for the relaunched newscast:

About the only unanswered question for this new venture is will they get carriage from the Mexican cable systems? They won't get the prime 33 slot, and 20 would be flat-out unavailable; Izzi will probably place it in the 80s/90s range used for other US stations. Their FAQ mentions nothing of any cable carriage in Baja California.

They also are not launching with Dish Network.

Their FAQ mentions a 48.1 is carrying Telemundo 20 as well. Is this KUAN-LD in Poway?

About the only unanswered question for this new venture is will they get carriage from the Mexican cable systems? They won't get the prime 33 slot, and 20 would be flat-out unavailable; Izzi will probably place it in the 80s/90s range used for other US stations. Their FAQ mentions nothing of any cable carriage in Baja California.

Their FAQ mentions a 48.1 is carrying Telemundo 20 as well. Is this KUAN-LD in Poway?

It's gone(XHAS) from COX N.Coastal SD...and no joy in the 400's.

That's gotta hurt.

I wonder too where that 48.1 signal comes from. I didn't expect that.

I was talking about Telemundo 20. XHAS *should* be on 15 where Azteca América is.

Guess COX didn't get the memo...15 and 1015 are still Azteca. Maybe it will change later.

Once again...Vexed by the homies.

It seems like 15 is still the generic Azteca America that's been in place for the last few months since it was parked on XDTV's sub channel. Since XHAS never produced weekend newscasts, it's hard to determine if they've officially taken over the affiliation. I guess we'll see what happens this coming Monday.

It seems like 15 is still the generic Azteca America that's been in place for the last few months since it was parked on XDTV's sub channel. Since XHAS never produced weekend newscasts, it's hard to determine if they've officially taken over the affiliation. I guess we'll see what happens this coming Monday.

Just saw a 49.2 Legal ID...and a Ya promo.

Eff em...

Estrella TV is 200 times more fun with Don Cheeto and all these 4:3 stretch shows with all these weird clowns. Edit: There is some dude singing and waxing his car. I Luv Estrella! El Compadre Mas Padre.

Just saw a 49.2 Legal ID...and a Ya promo.

Eff em...

Estrella TV is 200 times more fun with Don Cheeto and all these 4:3 stretch shows with all these weird clowns. Edit: There is some dude singing and waxing his car. I Luv Estrella! El Compadre Mas Padre.

Estrella is zany, but not of much interest to local news watchers. The exception is Los Angeles. Unfortunately, I don't think I can find a KRCA Noticias 62 open on YouTube. (I wonder if KSDX simulcasts the KRCA newscast?)

Also, I realized that today is a milestone for Telemundo. For the first time since 1988, it has no Mexican affiliates.

XHIJ 1988-90s

XHRIO 1988-1999

XHAS 1990-2017

XHIJ had other programming plans it wanted to take on. XHRIO was dropped from TCI cable in 1997 which precipitated the end of its affiliation. NBC decided the idea of owning a station in a large media market was just too shiny to ignore.

SD alone is Hispanic DMA #13 with 268,000 Hispanic households. Tijuana has 1.42 million people according to INRA (a Mexican ratings firm), so that's roughly another 458,000 households at the same ratio of HH to people. With an estimated 726,703 HH between them, it's a Hispanic media market larger than Houston.

Obviously, that's a very rough account because the way ratings are measured and sliced in Mexico (or other Latin American countries) is completely different to the US (socioeconomic status instead of age).

How has the picture quality fared with the addition of Telemundo and Telexitos for those of you in the,viewing area who use an antenna?

I imagine the signal priority is NBC, Telemundo, Cozi and Telexitos picks the few Kbps left over.

Cozi's contract requires a minimum of 500Kpbs minimum with 3Mbps nominal.

How has the picture quality fared with the addition of Telemundo and Telexitos for those of you in the,viewing area who use an antenna?

I imagine the signal priority is NBC, Telemundo, Cozi and Telexitos picks the few Kbps left over.

Cozi's contract requires a minimum of 500Kpbs minimum with 3Mbps nominal.

I'm 50 air miles to the transmitter with a direct line of site down the coast. I would say you nailed it. Both NBC and TM look great...and it's 480 for the others. The monitor is an RCA flat screen on an omni stick center tuned to 165mhz w/ vertical pol. 30 feet high or 75 ft amsl.

So it's safe to say that antenna is not even close to being a real TV antenna....just an expensive coat hanger. But this uncompressed pic is pretty sweet.

Estrella is zany, but not of much interest to local news watchers. The exception is Los Angeles. Unfortunately, I don't think I can find a KRCA Noticias 62 open on YouTube. (I wonder if KSDX simulcasts the KRCA newscast?)

Also, I realized that today is a milestone for Telemundo. For the first time since 1988, it has no Mexican affiliates.

XHIJ 1988-90s

XHRIO 1988-1999

XHAS 1990-2017

XHIJ had other programming plans it wanted to take on. XHRIO was dropped from TCI cable in 1997 which precipitated the end of its affiliation. NBC decided the idea of owning a station in a large media market was just too shiny to ignore.

SD alone is Hispanic DMA #13 with 268,000 Hispanic households. Tijuana has 1.42 million people according to INRA (a Mexican ratings firm), so that's roughly another 458,000 households at the same ratio of HH to people. With an estimated 726,703 HH between them, it's a Hispanic media market larger than Houston.

Obviously, that's a very rough account because the way ratings are measured and sliced in Mexico (or other Latin American countries) is completely different to the US (socioeconomic status instead of age).

268 thousand seems really low. Is that for the county or the city We have about 3mil total population for the entire county...

I'm also interested in this breakout of the Mexican socioeconomic demo you speak of,,, if you ever care to go into a little more detail.

I think Estrella needs a local newscast to go with that zany programming. I'm just the shark to do it.

So I lost my daily racing form (TV cheat sheet) so I have lost track of where everyone is gonna end up on cable.

I woke up to a rerun of Rebelde the other day...what a great cure for ED.

I thought the network programming looked fantastic. Very crisp pictures. The taped newscast/behind-the-scenes making of the station looked a bit fuzzy.

A few things I noticed is that they'll finally have a voiceover for the opens and the bumper music they'll be using sounds a bit more urgent. It's still part of the same music pack, but I'm glad that decided to change up a few things to differentiate themselves from T33.

Archived