Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

Someone is gonna take Sinclair to court to stop this merger one way or the other

It would be most likely to succeed if other major broadcasters did such.

I just don't see that happening, though. Other chain broadcasters - even Nexstar to a loose degree - still have a semblance of ethics and integrity. Sinclair doesn't.

If it ever happened, though... Pai's decrees would be incinerated in court, to practically no surprise from anyone not a party-over-country Republican.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They renaming WGN America "Old Fart Racist Sexual Assaulters Fake News Network?"

If Sinclair is this brazen, they deserve to get their lunch handed to them. Fox still has a baked-in audience, and Bill is a Type-A incapable of grasping the concept that he's a tarnished brand outside his pig-people defenders.

You are totally wrong. Look at the ratings last week for cable news and Fox News is soft since the recent moves by the Murdoch family. Bill O'Reilly isn't tarnished at all and would easily beat out Fox News with the reach WGN America currently has.

You are totally wrong. Look at the ratings last week for cable news and Fox News is soft since the recent moves by the Murdoch family. Bill O'Reilly isn't tarnished at all and would easily beat out Fox News with the reach WGN America currently has.

Well, what would be tarnished is the WGN America brand. But I bet people at Sinclair are brainstorming new names for the channel.

http://www.fiercecable.com/broadcasting/as-sinclair-tribune-mega-merger-looms-groups-ask-fcc-to-block-return-uhf-discount

In a joint filing to the FCC, Free Press, United Church of Christ, Prometheus Radio Project, Media Mobilizing Project, Media Alliance, National Hispanic Media Coalition and Common Cause requested a stay of the reinstatement of the UHF discount

Well, what would be tarnished is the WGN America brand. But I bet people at Sinclair are brainstorming new names for the channel.

I'm not sure WGN America has a brand to tarnish. The overwhelming majority of their schedule is off-network reruns. Person of Interest, Blue Bloods, Cops, MASH, In the Heat of the Night, etc.. Not exactly a gold standard. For WGN-A to amount to anything in the future, it needs fresh, unique, appointment worthy programming. Other than a few short-lived series, Tribune has been unwilling to spend the development dollars that takes. Sinclair's plans for the channel might upset a lot of people, but there's no denying they have the money to do something more with it.

Oklahoma is Cowboys and Chiefs territory.

The presence of the Chiefs & Cowboys will be the only reason Oklahoma will never get an NFL team. Clark Hunt & Jerry Jones will block any attempt before it can get off the ground. Besides, Oklahoma already has 2 "semi pro" teams, one in Norman and another in Stillwater, you know what I mean,

The presence of the Chiefs & Cowboys will be the only reason Oklahoma will never get an NFL team. Clark Hunt & Jerry Jones will block any attempt before it can get off the ground. Besides, Oklahoma already has 2 "semi pro" teams, one in Norman and another in Stillwater, you know what I mean,

That's right (same with the MLB, Royals, Cardinals and Rangers will block any attempt in Oklahoma getting an MLB team) the only reason why Oklahoma City has a team (besides temporarily hosting the Hornets for 2 seasons) is because neither Kansas City or St. Louis has an NBA team and that makes the Mavericks the only one that could stop it and that was it

I'm not sure WGN America has a brand to tarnish. The overwhelming majority of their schedule is off-network reruns. Person of Interest, Blue Bloods, Cops, MASH, In the Heat of the Night, etc.. Not exactly a gold standard. For WGN-A to amount to anything in the future, it needs fresh, unique, appointment worthy programming. Other than a few short-lived series, Tribune has been unwilling to spend the development dollars that takes. Sinclair's plans for the channel might upset a lot of people, but there's no denying they have the money to do something more with it.

Well, okay, but their plans certainly won't help WGN's brand...

Also, I can only get WGNA in SD right now. Comcast doesn't seem to be in a hurry to add the HD feed in my area.

Oh, Sinclair will find a way to keep all four and consolidate the newsrooms.

Trust me on this. Your opinion (and any opinion of the common help) matters zippo to the inmates running the asylum.

No they won't because KFOR is either 1st or 2nd while KOKH is 4th, NO way DOJ/FCC will allow Sinclair to get by with that.

Now then if KFOR and KOKH were ranked 3rd or 4th then maybe but KFOR isn't so therefore a quadropoly is impossible in Oklahoma City

Also even with the UHF discounts, they still cannot form a quadropoly here in Oklahoma City.

http://www.fiercecable.com/broadcasting/as-sinclair-tribune-mega-merger-looms-groups-ask-fcc-to-block-return-uhf-discount

In a joint filing to the FCC, Free Press, United Church of Christ, Prometheus Radio Project, Media Mobilizing Project, Media Alliance, National Hispanic Media Coalition and Common Cause requested a stay of the reinstatement of the UHF discount

This was already mentioned in the UHF discount thread.

I'm going to make this perfectly clear, the sttuation in Oklahoma City between the KFOR/KAUT duopoly and the KOKH/KOCB duopoly is Not (I repeat NOT) like what it was in markets like Little Rock and Mobile (the only reason why they were allowed to was because those markets the stations were ranked 3rd or 4th in the ratings and still have plenty of unique voices left.

Here in Oklahoma City if Sinclair forms a quadropoly it will only leave out 6 or 7 unique voices (Hearst and Griffin) had Griffin not bought KSBI to form the duopoly with KWTV in 2014 this could happen but because Griffin bought KSBI a quadropoly here is NOT possible for 2 reasons:

1. That'll leave out too few unique voices to form such quadropoly

2. KFOR, KAUT and KOKH compete for ratings in the 5-9am, 5pm, 9pm and 10pm slots on weekdays (KOKH doesn't have a 6pm Newscast and KOKH doesn't have a weekend morning newscast or an early evening weekend newscast and KAUT has no weekend newscasts at all)

Those reasons alone are why Sinclair will have to sell one of the duopolies here, I know I'm repeating myself over and over but until some of you guys take the time to read what I'm saying and not say "FCC will allow Sinclair to do this, do that" I'll have to continue repeating myself

Sinclair also faces the same problem in Seattle, Salt Lake City, Harrisburg, Grand Rapids, Norfolk, Richmond, St. Louis (KDNL doesn't have a news department however) and Scranton with competing news departments now in Scranton maybe they can consolidate news departments but in Seattle, Salt Lake City and possibly Grand Rapids and Harrisburg there's no way the FCC/DOJ will allow Sinclair to form triopolies/quadropolies in those markets

But there is an old saying...

Never s#%t where you eat.

Besides...

What illegal act has occurred?

What damages do you have?

Elimination of competition, competition is a good thing, neither KFOR or KOKH needs their newsrooms consolidated,neither does KOMO or KCPQ, KSTU or KUTV, WXMI or WWMT, WHP or WPMT, WOLF or WNEP

No they won't because KFOR is either 1st or 2nd while KOKH is 4th, NO way DOJ/FCC will allow Sinclair to get by with that.

Altji Pai will be paid off by Sinclair to rubber-stamp the deal and freely allow an OKC quadoploy. Count on it. Pai's so corrupt and brazen, he makes the Smith family in Hunt Valley look like church boys.

Elimination of competition, competition is a good thing, neither KFOR or KOKH needs their newsrooms consolidated

It shouldn't happen, but it's a fait accompli. Sinclair has consolidated and eliminated newsrooms and voices time and time again since the late 1990s.

The only question now is where will a combined KFOR/KOKH news operation be housed at.

Elimination of competition, competition is a good thing, neither KFOR or KOKH needs their newsrooms consolidated

Fair enough..

But realize there IS plenty of competition, and most of it is crap.

Most TV news (OKC included) is a bunch of crap. It's poorly funded, poorly covered and poorly presented. The people that present the news work hard...but they have zero resources...and zero credibility.

There are many "unique voices" now with the internet. NO shortage of news sources.

You should do a deep search for local non-tv news sites in your area. There is all kinds unique stuff just for OK and OKC.

30 years ago I would have no problem with the "Unique Voices" argument...but now it's moot. Social Media reports on itself, there is no middle man needed.

The FCC has allowed stations to be auctioned for cash...there WILL be a round #2. Just hoard some transmitters for the next sale/auction.

There is probably a document sitting in a Sinclair office detailing the nationwide consolidation and hubbing of news operations.

They can cut 1/4...1/3 or even 1/2 of all news operations with" zero impact on local coverage."

Zero impact...

That's what the commission will hear.

The only question now is where will a combined KFOR/KOKH news operation be housed at.

Definitely at KFOR/KAUT. KFOR has a separate building (designed like military barracks, REALLY?!?) dedicated to KAUT, so they have enough room to add KOKH/KOCB.

Altji Pai will be paid off by Sinclair to rubber-stamp the deal and freely allow an OKC quadoploy. Count on it. Pai's so corrupt and brazen, he makes the Smith family in Hunt Valley look like church boys.

It shouldn't happen, but it's a fait accompli. Sinclair has consolidated and eliminated newsrooms and voices time and time again since the late 1990s.

Nope a quadropoly won't happen, Hearst,

What part of KFOR being 1st (or 2nd) and KOKH being ranked 4th in ratings don't you understand? I could see it if KFOR was 3rd but they're not

Fair enough..

But realize there IS plenty of competition, and most of it is crap.

Most TV news (OKC included) is a bunch of crap. It's poorly funded, poorly covered and poorly presented. The people that present the news work hard...but they have zero resources...and zero credibility.

There are many "unique voices" now with the internet. NO shortage of news sources.

You should do a deep search for local non-tv news sites in your area. There is all kinds unique stuff just for OK and OKC.

30 years ago I would have no problem with the "Unique Voices" argument...but now it's moot. Social Media reports on itself, there is no middle man needed.

The FCC has allowed stations to be auctioned for cash...there WILL be a round #2. Just hoard some transmitters for the next sale/auction.

There is probably a document sitting in a Sinclair office detailing the nationwide consolidation and hubbing of news operations.

They can cut 1/4...1/3 or even 1/2 of all news operations with" zero impact on local coverage."

Zero impact...

That's what the commission will hear.

"Zero impact" is the most ridiculous baloney I've heard all day just saying.

The only news operation consolidating I could see is Harrisburg, Scranton maybe Grand Rapids. Nothing else

Detroit...

Plenty of empty warehouse/ studio space...easy access to fiber...plenty of people of all races willing to work on TV real cheap....

And Coney Islands hot dogs

"Zero impact" is the most ridiculous baloney I've heard all day just saying

Sorry...

But it's reality.

TV aint shit no more....

Just spectrum ready to be farmed and sold...to the ruskies....or the chicoms...

If you're a Republican, Bill's a political marytr. If you aren't a Republican, he's a scumbag who deserved to lose his job, and possesses a toxic brand because he never apologized for anything.

A nationwide Sinclair conservative cable network wouldn't beat Fox. The best they can hope for is a cannibalizing of the audience, in which both get pounded by the competition. See, Fox worked because Ailes saw the audience as enough of a niche to be viable... if they cornered and dominated that niche. No one else did conservative opinion talk disguised as news, so they thrived.

What part of KFOR being 1st (or 2nd) and KOKH being ranked 4th in ratings don't you understand? I could see it if KFOR was 3rd but they're not

What part of "the FCC will purposefully ignore or repeal the rules so a OKC quadoploy can happen" don't you understand?

Archived