Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

That didn't stop Nexstar from doing so in Little Rock.

The only reason why Nexstar could in Little Rock was because both KARK and KLRT were ranked in the bottom 2 in news ratings so Nexstar was able to form a quadropoly in Little Rock (same with Sinclair and Mobile).

Oklahoma City is not another Little Rock/Mobile scenario because KFOR and KOKH are not ranked in the last 2 in the ratings, while KOKH is last, KFOR is ranked 2nd ahead of KOCO (who is ranked 3rd in the ratings) and because of that Sinclair cannot form a quadropoly in Oklahoma City.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But Fox17 has NFC Football, because it broadcast Chicago's football team and the Lions (idk what is Chicago's team. I don't pay attention in football)

Mainly Fox17 has the most Lions games other than primetime national games. Only shows a few Bears games if there aren't any Lions games since Fox17 is in Lions home market.

Mainly Fox17 has the most Lions games other than primetime national games. Only shows a few Bears games if there aren't any Lions games since Fox17 is in Lions home market.

Basically Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo is the Lions secondary market

It's the following experience that's foreboding AF:

Story suggestions are different from must-air pieces, but unsubstantiated politically motivated bulls--t like this?

Combined with Livingston's GOP marching orders and "fake news" talking points, they definitely pose a clear and present threat to a stations editorial independence.

They were asked to look into it. Were they also ordered to report it as fact? If so, they didn't do their job. The money quote:

"It’s free to post ads on backpage.com and experts warn, just because its posted online doesn’t mean it’s legitimate. And in the new era of fake news, verification is critical."

And I guess this guy is on the Hunt Valley hit list:

Matt Markovich @mattmarkovich

This ad recruiting paid protesters posted on Seattle Backpage is looking more like #fakenews Don't take @ face value #komonews #Inauguration pic.twitter.com/dmLN2yleuW

1:00 PM - 17 Jan 2017

Oh wait, he isn't:

That awkward moment when your own flagship thinks you're full of crap.

It's been a while since I watched a full newscast but that's where I last recall the Hyman ones. I think the Terrorism Alert Desk is generally placed around 10:30.

What are odds KFOR-TV becomes NBC O&O?

ZERO! Zip, zilch, nada! I don't think NBC wants an O&O in the 45th largest market (I know Fox has one in Charlotte, etc.) but I cannot see NBC buying KFOR/KAUT.

I think Scripps, Raycom, Meredith and TEGNA (although TEGNA is waiting on Griffin to put up it's for sale sign so do not expect TEGNA to be interested in KFOR/KAUT) are all in line for KFOR/KAUT and I say Scripps is the frontrunner right now for KFOR/KAUT and Raycom is a close 2nd behind Scripps

Zero. The only non-Fox O&O in a market lower than 30 is KFSN, which is really an anomaly these days.

I think the good old days of Big 3 O&Os existing in sub-30 markets like Toledo, Flint, Providence, etc. are looooong gone.

Maybe we could see one pop up in a growth market like Las Vegas or Austin but I doubt it.

Zero. The only non-Fox O&O in a market lower than 30 is KFSN, which is really an anomaly these days.

I think the good old days of Big 3 O&Os existing in sub-30 markets like Toledo, Flint, Providence, etc. are looooong gone.

Maybe we could see one pop up in a growth market like Las Vegas or Austin but I doubt it.

And Oklahoma City is 45th and do you think NBC would want a network-owned station in the 45th largest media market in the country right in the heart of "Tornado Alley"? I don't think so!

And Oklahoma City is 45th and do you think NBC would want a network-owned station in the 45th largest media market in the country right in the heart of "Tornado Alley"? I don't think so!

If this were 1990-2005 I'd say anything is possible...but yeah. lol

In Seattle, they should just sell KCPQ/KZJO to FOX and call it good; in Harrisburg, WPMT was sold in the Auction and I can see them landing on WHTM, Nexstar; In West Michigan they need to potentially resolve the issue with the 2 ABC stations where WOTV, Nexstar, takes either FOX or CW and allow WZZM, Tenga, to become the full market ABC station there.

Hello. I agree with you about KCPQ and KZJO being sold to 21st Century Fox, Inc. Let's hope that happens. Let's hope Sinclair-Tribune Media would reach an agreement with 21CF.

Forget the newsrooms (for now). My main concern is about WGN's sports rights. The Cubs rights expire after the 2018 (or 2019, I'm not sure) season. Is Sinclair willing to keep the Cubs (and Bulls, Blackhawks, and Sox) or let WGN be nothing more than a syndie wasteland outside of news?

Odds are much much higher that you'll see Sinclair consolidate newsrooms, just like they did in San Antonio and Beaumont, and the FCC/FTC will 100% ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ because they're Sinclair, and you're not.

It's a satellite of WOFL so the programming comes out of Orlando with minor differences due to syndicated rules.

As I said, an anomaly among Fox O&Os.

WOGX is a standalone O&O not based in an NFC market, that's a semi-satellite of WOFL - an O&O not based in an NFC market, but enjoys a duopoly partner.

As I said, an anomaly among Fox O&Os.

WOGX is a standalone O&O not based in an NFC market, that's a semi-satellite of WOFL - an O&O not based in an NFC market, but enjoys a duopoly partner.

Yeah, why do they even have WOGX? It seems kinda pointless....

Archived