Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

I would avoid the ocean this summer Myron.

Jusssss sayyyyin......

[ATTACH=full]3957[/ATTACH]

If sharks somehow wind up in Lake Erie, I'll flee to Tibet as a Buddhist monk or something similar. ;)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But what is the odds that Fox buys KOKH (since NBC doesn't want KFOR)

ZERO!

1. Oklahoma City is too small of a market to have a big four network own a station in the 45th largest media market in the county.

2. Oklahoma City doesn't han an NFL team and will never get one as long as Jerry Jones (the owner of the Dallas Cowboys) thinks that Oklahoma City is the Cowboys Secondary market (although Wichita Falls/Lawton and Sherman/Ardmore/Ada markets are considered to be the Cowboys secondary markets)

Forget the newsrooms (for now). My main concern is about WGN's sports rights. The Cubs rights expire after the 2018 (or 2019, I'm not sure) season. Is Sinclair willing to keep the Cubs (and Bulls, Blackhawks, and Sox) or let WGN be nothing more than a syndie wasteland outside of news?

I know the Cubs wants to start their own RSN so WGN might just lose the Cubs and keep the White Sox, Bulls and Blackhawks. We'll see.

Forget the newsrooms (for now). My main concern is about WGN's sports rights. The Cubs rights expire after the 2018 (or 2019, I'm not sure) season. Is Sinclair willing to keep the Cubs (and Bulls, Blackhawks, and Sox) or let WGN be nothing more than a syndie wasteland outside of news?

Did WGN remove The CW to focus on their sports programming?

If Sinclair didn't already own one station in Gainesville (WGFL) and operate another (WNBW), I wouldn't be surprised if Fox were to offer WOGX with whatever they'll be willing to pay for KCPQ.

And KFSN is probably Hearst or Scripps bait.

If Sinclair didn't already own one station in Gainesville (WGFL) and operate another (WNBW), I wouldn't be surprised if Fox were to offer WOGX with whatever they'll be willing to pay for KCPQ.

I doubt Fox would separate WOGX from WOFL though, since they really do run as the same station. The presence of Sinclair already in the market (even though they are really a joke compared to WCJB) does make it more challenging to use WOFL/WOGX as a trade piece...as a swing area of a swing state, the Orlando market is probably one that Sinclair would absolutely love to be in more than most, but there is no realistic path into it for them right now.

Odds are much much higher that you'll see Sinclair consolidate newsrooms, just like they did in San Antonio and Beaumont, and the FCC/FTC will 100% ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ because they're Sinclair, and you're not.

I can't see Sinclair pulling a San Antonio/Beaumont on Oklahoma City because in Oklahoma City we only have 4 total news departments and if Sinclair does that that'll only leave out with 2 non-consolidated newsrooms (KOCO and KWTV) and neither KOCO and KWTV will want Sinclair to become a monopoly on Oklahoma City

Also you better check the news ratings in Oklahoma City and tell me if Sinclair would be able to form a quadropoly in Oklahoma City because the ratings say Sinclair can't

None. Period.

Plus, there's no NFL team in Oklahoma.

Doesn't KOKH broadcast Cowgirl games?

(I hate the cowboys, because I'm from South Texas. And everyone would hate me if I cheer for the cowgirls)

It's a satellite of WOFL so the programming comes out of Orlando with minor differences due to syndicated rules.

I know that.

I'm kinda glad though that FOX has WOGX. If I lived in Gainesville, I would love to see Orlando news since I would probably visit very often.

Doesn't KOKH broadcast Cowgirl games?

(I hate the cowboys, because I'm from South Texas. And everyone would hate me if I cheer for the cowgirls)

Yes the only time they don't is when the Cowboys play on NBC (KFOR), CBS (KWTV) or ESPN

KWTV shows mostly Chiefs games

You think the FCC would care one iota about Sinclair having a virtual triopoly in Ocala/Gainesville? Please.

Disney has been incredibly stable since giving up WTVG/WJRT. There is nothing to suggest that they will ever part with KFSN now.

With Trumpy's lap dog, Pai at the helm? BITCH PLEASE!

Well let me tell you there is NO way (I repeat NO way) Sinclair will be able to own 4 stations in MY market with only 4 news despartments (5 if you count KTUZ) Sinclair will have to sell off either KFOR/KAUT or KOKH/KOCB one of the two

With Trumpy's lap dog, Pai at the helm? BITCH PLEASE!

There may be a legitimate court case here, BUT it would require another company trying to either blow the cap or hoard a market and then get denied (because they are not Trump's toady). In that situation, a lower court could rule such impossible.

These are uncharted waters...

There may be a legitimate court case here, BUT it would require another company trying to either blow the cap or hoard a market and then get denied (because they are not Trump's toady). In that situation, a lower court could rule such impossible.

These are uncharted waters...

Someone is gonna take Sinclair to court to stop this merger one way or the other

Someone is gonna take Sinclair to court to stop this merger one way or the other

It would be most likely to succeed if other major broadcasters did such.

I know when the UHF discount came up in 2014, the only broadcaster to oppose keeping it was Block, which is tiny (albeit rebellious) in comparison. I know they HATE Sinclair - their cable system has had a ton of fights with them too.

I know when the UHF discount came up in 2014, the only broadcaster to oppose keeping it was Block, which is tiny (albeit rebellious) in comparison. I know they HATE Sinclair - their cable system has had a ton of fights with them too.

I can't blame them for hating Sinclair one bit

Looks like Block Communications needs to get to buying up stations then.

Well let me tell you there is NO way (I repeat NO way) Sinclair will be able to own 4 stations in MY market with only 4 news despartments (5 if you count KTUZ) Sinclair will have to sell off either KFOR/KAUT or KOKH/KOCB one of the two

Oh, Sinclair will find a way to keep all four and consolidate the newsrooms.

Trust me on this. Your opinion (and any opinion of the common help) matters zippo to the inmates running the asylum.

Archived