Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They renaming WGN America "Old Fart Racist Sexual Assaulters Fake News Network?"

If Sinclair is this brazen, they deserve to get their lunch handed to them. Fox still has a baked-in audience, and Bill is a Type-A incapable of grasping the concept that he's a tarnished brand outside his pig-people defenders.

That may apply to cable news, but I wouldn't say that it has reached the local level (not here anyway). Do viewers have favorites? Yes, but that's based largely on an individual (not that individual's opinions) and/or a newscast format/presentation. There are times certain things can slip through. A Joel Waldman report often sounds more 'conservative' than a report from Doug Luzader, which is more straight forward/non partisan. But there is not much WFLD can do about that.

Nevertheless, given I have never seen a newscast on a Sinclair-owned station, I don't know what's in store for WGN. But if Sinclair starts pushing a conservative angle /tampers too much with what works for WGN, it won't be good.

I agree, not sure that translates too much to local news. Often, one watches a station you grew up with. You are comfortable. There was an instance years ago when WJAR went black during the morning news, and more people watched dead air than the other two stations combined. An extreme case but loyalty does go a long way. It is what many corporate suits/news directors don't understand when long time anchors and reporters are cut loose due to cost. Sinclair is known for that by the way as they are a low cost owner. In some markets, many staff have been replaced and upsets viewers since they don't know the new people. Routine churn is fine, but a whole staff being different in a 12 mos span alienates, not reinvigortes.

So Sinclair seems to believe that they will only face conflicts in St. Louis, Scranton/Wilkes Barre, and Salt Lake City. The fact that they believe they won't have a problem in Seattle, Harrisburg, and West Michigan is bizarre.

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/5/12/sinclairtribunes-conflicted-markets

Not that bizarre, just 100% defiant. They probably think they can spin off the licenses for WXMI and KXJO (and KDNL) to Armstrong Williams and keep the intellectual property of those stations all to themselves.

But no loss of "voices" in the market. Having their cake and eating it, too.

As for WOLF/WSWB/WQMY, they'll just restructure the LMA they have with owner New Age Media, if it even comes to that. NBD for them.

And Harrisburg? Who knows.

By the time they own it Sinclair will have around 215-220 or so (233 minus divestments).

You're being a bit optimistic on the divestiture count.

I expect them to attempt to get away with literal highway robbery, because they're Sinclair, and we're not.

I'll believe it when I see it. Didn't they say they were going to do the same thing with NC8 at WJLA? Obviously it's a little different with WGN America already being carried on cable nationally, but I won't hold my breath.

So Sinclair seems to believe that they will only face conflicts in St. Louis, Scranton/Wilkes Barre, and Salt Lake City. The fact that they believe they won't have a problem in Seattle, Harrisburg, and West Michigan is bizarre.

I must be missing something? What about Oklahoma City, where BOTH companies currently have a duopoly, KOKH/KOCB for Sinclair and KFOR/KAUT for Tribune? I smell a Mobile and Little Rock here.

Not to mention WGHP/WXLV/WMYV in the Triad in NC.

I fully believe they will stash the ABC affiliation on a subchannel of one of the two stations and Stirkify the WXLV license, which will take on a new callsign and some subchannel network. (ala WCIV, WCFT/WJSU, et al)

I fully believe they will stash the ABC affiliation on a subchannel of one of the two stations and Stirkify the WXLV license, which will take on a new callsign and some subchannel network. (ala WCIV, WCFT/WJSU, et al)

I mean, it's not like that'd be a downgrade for the network there...

Probably because he knows he will be replaced by "STL NewsCentral on Fox2, ABC11, and 11Two The CW".

Another scenario, KDNL is shelled with the CW with KPLR taking ABC.

You're being a bit optimistic on the divestiture count.

I expect them to attempt to get away with literal highway robbery, because they're Sinclair, and we're not.

As much as we'd like to hope would happen, I think you're right.

I expect a Canada-style takeover of American TV stations, where 3 or 4 companies own every station in the country in the next few years.

This is my first post. I wish Sinclair and Tribune were separate companies, partially because soon Sinclair will have a presence in the top 5 markets. I'm glad Sinclair doesn't have a station in my area (although Nexstar does).

I mean, it's not like that'd be a downgrade for the network there...

Yeah I could see ABC going to WGHP 8.2 and WXLV being divested. Maybe they could pick up the CW affiliation now that WCWG got sold off in the spectrum auction.

Yeah I could see ABC going to WGHP 8.2 and WXLV being divested. Maybe they could pick up the CW affiliation now that WCWG got sold off in the spectrum auction.

We could also have WXLV and WGHP swapping affiliations; Sinclair could retain WXLV while another company such as Scripps, Raycom or Cox could buy out WGHP. I think WGHP has higher ratings, so it might deserve getting the ABC affiliation. A similar affiliation swap could happen in Birmingham. This would reverse a couple of the mid-1990's affiliation swaps.

In Seattle, they should just sell KCPQ/KZJO to FOX and call it good; in Harrisburg, WPMT was sold in the Auction and I can see them landing on WHTM, Nexstar; In West Michigan they need to potentially resolve the issue with the 2 ABC stations where WOTV, Nexstar, takes either FOX or CW and allow WZZM, Tenga, to become the full market ABC station there.

Archived