New set for WCBS

Ryanthenewsgeek

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone notice that the front of the newsdesk is LED tiled? I believe the other sets just have black lit graphics,,

I noticed it too and wondered why they couldn't have done it with the desks at the other O&Os using a BDI set-in-a-can. I know LED paneling is a little more expensive than monitors, but it beats having a bland duratran in the front.

Now if only they could do the same for their sisters down in Philly and Baltimore.

It's not bad... But the main thing that jumps out at me are the black lines between all the monitors. It really hurts the look.

I'm also not impressed that they're using the same static Top of the Rock skyline shots. And at 5 and 6 p.m., the image is too dark. It doesn't match the way the sky looks IRL. We'll see if they insist on using the sunset image for the morning news.

I do like the use of the background in place of OTS graphics but I don't like how all of the monitors have to flash when only the middle ones are changing from skyline to graphic. I hope they improve the transition there.

And I'm not a fan of the podium used in the weather area. It's just... awkward.

Seems they lost some presentation areas. They used to have a reporter standup section on either side of the desk, plus at the demonstration area, as well as by the interview area. This does make the set feel much smaller when they are over reliant on the one stand-up spot.

Overall, I like the new set, but the previous one still felt modern to me and the new one is a downgrade in many areas.

I noticed it too and wondered why they couldn't have done it with the desks at the other O&Os using a BDI set-in-a-can. I know LED paneling is a little more expensive than monitors, but it beats having a bland duratran in the front.

Now if only they could do the same for their sisters down in Philly and Baltimore.

answered your own question.... the other stations had the option to get the led panels but chose not to because of cost and that nobody else did it yet... the option to replace the printed graphic panel with LED displays is on the table at every station that has this set...

answered your own question.... the other stations had the option to get the led panels but chose not to because of cost and that nobody else did it yet... the option to replace the printed graphic panel with LED displays is on the table at every station that has this set...

How much involvement does corporate station group headquarters have on the design and implementation of new sets across the country for their o&o's? Are the individual stations given some flexibility?

How much involvement does corporate station group headquarters have on the design and implementation of new sets across the country for their o&o's? Are the individual stations given some flexibility?

the stations drive the process... i know people on this site like to think some faceless corporate goons barge in and dictate "this is your new set" but that is far from truth... corporate is involved but not at a high level...

some of the stations even got pitches from other set designers... but in the end they CHOSE this set...

I remember the last time CBS had the primetime Emmys (2013), WCBS and KYW debuted their new graphics and Enforcer NG4 simultaneously.

Could it happen again with a WCBS-WBBM simultaneous set launch on Sunday Night?

It's JUST called the 2013 update. Gari doesn't use NG anymore! Ugh.

the stations drive the process... i know people on this site like to think some faceless corporate goons barge in and dictate "this is your new set" but that is far from truth... corporate is involved but not at a high level...

some of the stations even got pitches from other set designers... but in the end they CHOSE this set...

I tend to disagree in terms of CBS at least. The current sets of WBZ, WCBS, WFOR, and KCBS all look the same, with slight variations. I doubt all th GMs got together and said "hey, lets make all our sets look the same."

I tend to disagree in terms of CBS at least. The current sets of WBZ, WCBS, WFOR, and KCBS all look the same, with slight variations. I doubt all th GMs got together and said "hey, lets make all our sets look the same."

Obviously they didn't, but the choice to have the same design for the set is more financial than anything. KCBS fronted the money for BDI to come up with the original design and that saves some money for stations that follow.

Obviously they didn't, but the choice to have the same design for the set is more financial than anything. KCBS fronted the money for BDI to come up with the original design and that saves some money for stations that follow.

This. Plus, it's incredibly helpful that there's already a physical set constructed and KCBS can vouch for how well it works for them. It's one thing to see how the set looks and feels on camera vs. the 3D renders that a set company provides. Nobody wants to blow that kind of money to have a set that ends up looking awful on camera (see: WBBM's 2008 set's weird monitor wall backdrop)

This. Plus, it's incredibly helpful that there's already a physical set constructed and KCBS can vouch for how well it works for them. It's one thing to see how the set looks and feels on camera vs. the 3D renders that a set company provides. Nobody wants to blow that kind of money to have a set that ends up looking awful on camera (see: WBBM's 2008 set's weird monitor wall backdrop)

Or the infamous WNBC set that never launched lol

What set is that?? Any Pics?

It was the previous 3C set, but the backdrop behind the anchors (the "vertical plasma 'windows'" that ended up at other O&O stations) was a thin-bezel LCD screen array similar to what WCBS has now. Management hated it and had it replaced with the "windows".

[MEDIA=flickr]9924444486[/MEDIA]

A Dennis Degan photo after the monitors had been pulled down and crated.

The set looks good in the original pictures before the debut, based on the most recent posts, the colors reminds me of their set in 1998/1999. Looks a bit tacky. Don't like how they put the "News at 9:00" in the background there for WLNY's broadcast.

Archived