WFOR New Set

USNewsie

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't see anything wrong with a set and graphic mandate especially if they are really good which CBS' is.

I think CBS’ sets are the best still. WFOR is going to have competition with WTVJ for sure now (set-wise.)

I guess CBS is doing cookie cutter sets now WCBS show us your cookie cutter set. CBS get WBBM a cookie cutter set

Again, doesn't matter that it's cookie cutter so long as it's good and that set design is very good.

IMG_4573.JPG.c715d195bc07d8626f7dcc81a4ba06d9.JPG This was their first set since the move in '08.

IMG_4574.thumb.JPG.b905492456e86e176cf46c31acf5c32d.JPG A smaller desk from the weather center in 2010.

IMG_4575.JPG.f73337ae7b950a5629cb4400afb1add7.JPG A medium desk that same year.

I hope the ratings for this station needs to improve more.

Goodness does WBBM still use that exact same awkward desk set up? It looks so small market.

I keep forgetting they have the dollar store reject of the KPIX set with a children's desk size

[ATTACH]4244[/ATTACH] This was their first set since the move in '08.

[ATTACH]4245[/ATTACH] A smaller desk from the weather center in 2010.

[ATTACH]4246[/ATTACH] A medium desk that same year.

I hope the ratings for this station needs to improve more.

What exactly was the rationale for leaving the main desk and using only a super small portion of the cavernous set? It looked really great for 2008?

What exactly was the rationale for leaving the main desk and using only a super small portion of the cavernous set? It looked really great 2008?

When they canned their traditional morning newscast for the ill-fated 6-month run for "Monsters and Money in the Morning", they set up that show at a roundtable in the space of the large desk (to the right of the current set-up). They stupidly didn't anticipate the sun shining into the studio when they constructed it, so they covered the west windows and placed the stand-up desk in the only position that would have a serviceable backdrop, and wouldn't impede on the roundtable set. When they first moved to this arrangement, they only used it at 11am and weekend evenings, as their weeknights were solo-anchored and he moved around the studio using mostly stand-ups. The desk wasn't visible when he'd sit. They upgraded to the current desk in the fall of 2010 when Rob Johnson got a co-anchor, Kurtis and Jacobson returned, and a morning newscast was relaunched.

Every time I see WBBM's 2008 debut set, I just get frustrated; they completely trashed that set. What a total waste. It was a great set for the year it lasted.

It's weird because while I agree--it was a beautiful set--I think it was only a beautiful set in still pictures. Though I've only sparsely seen video of the set in action, I can easily understand how very distracting it could get in motion. I just pulled up a video on YT from launch day and the anchors get lost in it all.

Frosted glass probably could have extended the lifespan, but that sort of defeats the purpose of claiming a crystal clear, HD picture, doesn't it?

There was a time and a place where you could have monitor banks as the centerpiece of a set and not have that issue. I loved WCBS's evening/night monitor bank set from the Total News era because it gives off that "huge" 90s feel--and it had the camera shots and blocking to back it up. I wouldn't be shocked if BBM's 2008 set was meant to evoke those memories, but it'll only be relevant for us TV news junkies. The average viewer probably got overwhelmed with it very fast, and I think they made the right call going to more muted staging.

It's weird because while I agree--it was a beautiful set--I think it was only a beautiful set in still pictures. Though I've only sparsely seen video of the set in action, I can easily understand how very distracting it could get in motion. I just pulled up a video on YT from launch day and the anchors get lost in it all.

Frosted glass probably could have extended the lifespan, but that sort of defeats the purpose of claiming a crystal clear, HD picture, doesn't it?

There was a time and a place where you could have monitor banks as the centerpiece of a set and not have that issue. I loved WCBS's evening/night monitor bank set from the Total News era because it gives off that "huge" 90s feel--and it had the camera shots and blocking to back it up. I wouldn't be shocked if BBM's 2008 set was meant to evoke those memories, but it'll only be relevant for us TV news junkies. The average viewer probably got overwhelmed with it very fast, and I think they made the right call going to more muted staging.

IIRC, some WBBM insiders on here basically said this happened:

- They thought the monitor background was too busy, so they started using the window backdrop more, even at night.

- Delivery trucks park outside of the studio behind where the desk was, so you just ended up with a giant wall saying "PEPSI" through some earlier.

- Last resort: begin using the multipurpose area presentation table as a "desk" and use the sports set as the backdrop.

- At some point during this, one of the huge 109" plasma screens on the sides of the homebase area gets shipped off to network (Early Show?)

- Monsters and Money debuts, the old homebase backdrop is replaced by a duratran. The missing monitor hole is also filled with a duratran. I think the baby news desk they still use arrives around this time too.

- After M&M flops, the windows behind the desk to camera left are covered over permanently with decorative metal panels.

Had they waited a few years, they probably could have just replaced the anchor backdrop with a thin bezel monitor wall like everyone else has. But by then the damage was done, and they were determined to get out of using the streetside studio. The next set they get will be built in their single internal studio, and this one will be demolished and the space leased out.

This also means there will likely be zero hint (or very short notice) that they're getting a new set. Stay tuned!

Archived