WBBM New Set (The Secret is Out!)

Que

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is this set really WBBM?:

[MEDIA=instagram]BVEQI3fDCl9[/MEDIA]

Looks like they didn't want to wait for their lease to expire downstairs before moving to a new set. I like some of the Chicago-themed elements they put in there.

Any guesses on when this will debut?

Looks like it! Nice find. That is most definitely not the KCBS set, and it's not too hard to make out the @CBSChicago handle on that desk.

Plus, the 80's 2 behind the couch.

Wbbm_1991.jpg.03614c8e8dde1e83f92f063592df031d.jpg

Looks like they didn't want to wait for their lease to expire downstairs before moving to a new set. I like some of the Chicago-themed elements they put in there.

Any guesses on when this will debut?

Supposedly they struggled to find memorabilia to put on the shelf since they threw out so much when they moved from McClurg Court. Oops!

The set was installed a few months ago, apparently they didn't even have a lighting grid in the studio when it went in. Hard to tell if that's different now.

Plus, the 80's 2 behind the couch.

[ATTACH=full]4262[/ATTACH]

I noticed that too.

Seeing how that 2 also stood during BBM's incredibly damaging, dismantling tabloid era of the early 90s, including it on set seems...misguided.

The set was installed a few months ago, apparently they didn't even have a lighting grid in the studio when it went in. Hard to tell if that's different now.

You kept this dirt that you kept hidden from us... what's are we going to find out next? That the moon landing was actually done from Studio 6H at 30 Rock?

Also, are the CBS stations standardizing? From what I've seen and what VizRT has been posting is that they're powering the monitor walls. I shudder to think what WJZ would do with one of those things.

what the hell they have a new set and they aren't using it. I think its third in the market. Better than WGN but not better than WFLD and WLS 1.WFLD 2.WLS 3.WBBM 4.WMAQ

5.WGN(sorry the more I look at it it looks cheap lost its new vibe after the first month

Oh well I guess WBBM will let their ratings go to the crapper as they use their new set as a break room as they watch Dr.Phil the picture was posted June 7th it should have debuted by now. As for WJZ I guess they feel that look is legendary now. And as for WNYW they probably aren't getting a new set until they get rid of that silly news director. Also when I went to New York I actually went down I THINK ITS 66TH ST THE STREET IS TIGHT I MEAN TIGHT AND THEY HAVE TO HAVE THEIR NEWS VANS DOUBLE PARKED

You kept this dirt that you kept hidden from us... what's are we going to find out next? That the moon landing was actually done from Studio 6H at 30 Rock?

Also, are the CBS stations standardizing? From what I've seen and what VizRT has been posting is that they're powering the monitor walls. I shudder to think what WJZ would do with one of those things.

It would take many months of training and follow up workshops twice a week for the WJZ staff to catch up on the software. That's like jumping from windows 95 to windows 10 lol

So it appears the glory days of Chicago streetside studio are over. Throw in WGN Radio's eventual exit from their Michigan Avenue space, and ABC 7 will be the only one left at ground level for all to see (though theirs was the best executed, of the TV entities).

It's still amazing how they ended up in a situation that culminates in them building a set that they still won't be able to use for another year (is that right?). It's all understandable given the explanations, but still, what an odd situation.

It seems like with some very rare exceptions, streetside studios either don't work or aren't really worth the effort. I never really got why the Chicago market went overboard on them. I thought CTV Vancouver's set situated on the second floor of their building looked really nice and solved many of the problems of a ground floor studio, but I think they also abandoned that studio after only a few years, probably for equally valid reasons.

Of course not... You'd need a facility like, say, NBC Burbank to pull off something the size of the moon landing..... ;)

Since CBS still retains local art departments there isn't much push to standardize on hardware. WBBM is a VizRT shop (This is kinda a legacy thing, pre-standardization, same for KCBS I think) but I think the vast majority are using Chyron products.

what the hell they have a new set and they aren't using it.

Oh well I guess WBBM will let their ratings go to the crapper as they use their new set as a break room as they watch Dr.Phil the picture was posted June 7th it should have debuted by now.

I'm going to refrain from saying when the set actually went in because I'm worried about how you'll handle the news. :rolleyes:

It's still amazing how they ended up in a situation that culminates in them building a set that they still won't be able to use for another year (is that right?). It's all understandable given the explanations, but still, what an odd situation.

It seems like with some very rare exceptions, streetside studios either don't work or aren't really worth the effort. I never really got why the Chicago market went overboard on them. I thought CTV Vancouver's set situated on the second floor of their building looked really nice and solved many of the problems of a ground floor studio, but I think they also abandoned that studio after only a few years, probably for equally valid reasons.

I'm pretty sure the set will be in use well before September 2018 rolls around. If they are contractually obligated to do things in the ground floor studio like some have said in the past, I'm going to assume they'll just do what WMAQ used to do and shove a few shows down there.

Supposedly they struggled to find memorabilia to put on the shelf since they threw out so much when they moved from McClurg Court. Oops!

I'm willing to bet people probably grabbed up a bunch of stuff before the big move and likely don't want to part ways with it (even temporarily). Seems hard to believe they would just toss out pictures, etc...and NO ONE went dumpster diving.

Nice set! I noticed the video is from June 8th. So it's just sitting there? Do you think they'll just move up there and still pay until their lease is up?

They're not known for doing anything that makes much sense. For all we know, they could have been sitting on this for months.

Archived