2018-19 Syndication News

The Frog

Sony ended up with the rights to the older Pyramids? Didn't know that.

Davidson, No. IIRC NBCU has the rights to that via their purchase of Multimedia.

Sony has had the rights to the 80's $100K ever since they bought Bob Stewart out in 1995.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Davidson, No. IIRC NBCU has the rights to that via their purchase of Multimedia.

Sony has had the rights to the 80's $100K ever since they bought Bob Stewart out in 1995.

Yeah, Davidson Pyramid, along with Finn Joker's Wild, are both owned by NBCU (Orbis/Carolco-->Multimedia-->Universal) and an agreement between Sony and NBCU to rerun them/transfer ownership is highly unlikely.

If there was a new diginet like Buzzr, Sony would create GSN Classic. Classic game shows from the 70s, 80s and 90s including reruns of Goodson-Todman shows, and Sony shows including Pyramid (IMO, $100K Pyramid Clark (S01-03) & Davidson 91 S01 & 02).

Don't forget about the Merv Griffin game shows too

If you could create your own game show...

You would....

And make it be successful as well, otherwise if you create a format that the viewers won't like then your game show won't even make it past five years, just saying

Who keeps watching this? [Dr. Oz]

Here's the thing that may be hard to believe, whether Oz has an audience or not, Oz is considered to be the last successful spin-off talk show from The Oprah Winfrey Show that didn't turn into a 100,000-pound trash-leaning gorilla with additional spinoffs of a spinoff that are equally trash-leaning. Dr. Oz, despite his lack of credibility and focus and sometimes tabloid-feel, can at least say he has never gone the route of pandering to the lowest common denominator with themed shows like for example "You gave me genital warts, and I slept with your sister." Dr. Oz has largely remained the same format since it debuted, despite some sometimes questionable content choices.

Now while Dr. Phil has also not gotten that bad, it has gotten bad. Like an episode where a dad was being accused of child molestation by an ex-wife (who clearly hated him and evidence proved she tried to ring him dry in the divorce) and Dr. Phil and the audience was the judge, jury, and executioner of the situation and painted the guy out to be a monster. It seems like most episodes are now following this kind of confrontational format.

I wonder why the stoppage of production on Springer. Is it due to ratings, or is it due to monetary issues (which was the cause of Judge Joe Brown's cancellation in 2013, despite respectable ratings)?....

Actually, Judge Joe Brown was cancelled because of some wrong side of the law issues with Joe Brown. By 2013, that show had become long-in-the-tooth anyways and they started doing "Bad Girls" and "Bad Boys" shows just about every other day. Ratings were not actually that good all things considered (especially compared to next door neighbor Judge Judy, but better than those of other next door neighbor Swift Justice which was cancelled a year before), he wanted more money despite mounting legal issues, and Big Ticket/CBS Television Distribution showed him the door. That's when Joe Brown's legal problems had came to light.

Ironically enough, the set for Lauren Lake's Paternity Court IS the Judge Joe Brown set heavily-modified. It has since been relocated to Atlanta to the GPB studios but if you look very closely you can tell it's the same principal design just a lot of cosmetic changes. The old baliff for JJB is also now the baliff for Judge Judy-sister show Hot Bench which also, ironically, films in the old Judge Joe Brown studio much like Paternity Court did in its first season. What makes all this more weird is that Paternity Court now tapes in the same studio at GPB as the first season of Swift Justice when Nancy Grace was arbitrator.

Here's the thing that may be hard to believe, whether Oz has an audience or not, Oz is considered to be the last successful spin-off talk show from The Oprah Winfrey Show that didn't turn into a 100,000-pound trash-leaning gorilla with additional spinoffs of a spinoff that are equally trash-leaning. Dr. Oz, despite his lack of credibility and focus and sometimes tabloid-feel, can at least say he has never gone the route of pandering to the lowest common denominator with themed shows like for example "You gave me genital warts, and I slept with your sister." Dr. Oz has largely remained the same format since it debuted, despite some sometimes questionable content choices.

Now while Dr. Phil has also not gotten that bad, it has gotten bad. Like an episode where a dad was being accused of child molestation by an ex-wife (who clearly hated him and evidence proved she tried to ring him dry in the divorce) and Dr. Phil and the audience was the judge, jury, and executioner of the situation and painted the guy out to be a monster. It seems like most episodes are now following this kind of confrontational format.

Actually, Judge Joe Brown was cancelled because of some wrong side of the law issues with Joe Brown. By 2013, that show had become long-in-the-tooth anyways and they started doing "Bad Girls" and "Bad Boys" shows just about every other day. Ratings were not actually that good all things considered (especially compared to next door neighbor Judge Judy, but better than those of other next door neighbor Swift Justice which was cancelled a year before), he wanted more money despite mounting legal issues, and Big Ticket/CBS Television Distribution showed him the door. That's when Joe Brown's legal problems had came to light.

Ironically enough, the set for Lauren Lake's Paternity Court IS the Judge Joe Brown set heavily-modified. It has since been relocated to Atlanta to the GPB studios but if you look very closely you can tell it's the same principal design just a lot of cosmetic changes. The old baliff for JJB is also now the baliff for Judge Judy-sister show Hot Bench which also, ironically, films in the old Judge Joe Brown studio much like Paternity Court did in its first season.

And as I've said many times, all of those shows remain/stayed on the air because it was cheaper than finding a replacemnet show.

Yeah, Davidson Pyramid, along with Finn Joker's Wild, are both owned by NBCU (Orbis/Carolco-->Multimedia-->Universal) and an agreement between Sony and NBCU to rerun them/transfer ownership is highly unlikely.

And ITV Studios America owns the Patrick Wayne Tic Tac Dough.

Which CBS Television City studios do Celebrity Family Feud and syndicated Family Feud tape in?

Correction: Upon further review, Syndicated Family Feud tapes at NBC Universal Studios since its move. Only Celebrity version is taped at TV City.

https://www.familyfeud.com/2018/06/05/tickets/

Where: NBC Universal Studios in sunny Los Angeles.

Getting back to what this thread was made for, it appears that despite super low ratings and all predictions that it would be cancelled, Dr. Phil says that The Doctors will return for another season. It hasn't been officially confirmed yet, but when Face the Truth was announced, he said the two shows would co-exist because, and I quote "The Doctors is a legacy show". So it appears that even if the ratings eventually go down to 0.0, The Doctors is here to stay forever, or at least until Phil retires.

So if FTT isn't replacing Drs, I would assume that FTT will be taking over Harry Connick Jr's timeslot in many markets (including WCTV & WJHG in my neck of the woods) since plans for a new show with Jane Lynch fell through. If it is so, then this will give WJHG Doctors at 2 and Face The Truth at 3, unless they transfer Ellen back from WECP (which airs it at 4pm) to replace Harry.

Getting back to what this thread was made for, it appears that despite super low ratings and all predictions that it would be cancelled, Dr. Phil says that The Doctors will return for another season. It hasn't been officially confirmed yet, but when Face the Truth was announced, he said the two shows would co-exist because, and I quote "The Doctors is a legacy show". So it appears that even if the ratings eventually go down to 0.0, The Doctors is here to stay forever, or at least until Phil retires.

So if FTT isn't replacing Drs, I would assume that FTT will be taking over Harry Connick Jr's timeslot in many markets (including WCTV & WJHG in my neck of the woods) since plans for a new show with Jane Lynch fell through. If it is so, then this will give WJHG Doctors at 2 and Face The Truth at 3, unless they transfer Ellen back from WECP (which airs it at 4pm) to replace Harry.

KOCO airs Harry at 11am so I imagine that's probably where Face The Truth will end up on (even though I've seen promos of Face The Truth when I've watched The Doctors on KFOR)

I wouldn't be surprised if Face Truth comes on at 9AM on WOTV at 9AM where Harry is now. Black-ish will be on WOTV for a full hour 5PM to 6PM replacing The Goldbergs that will be moving timeslots. But I haven't seen promos for Black-ish saw it on Black-ish website last week.

I wouldn't be surprised if Face Truth comes on at 9AM on WOTV at 9AM where Harry is now. Black-ish will be on WOTV for a full hour 5PM to 6PM replacing The Goldbergs that will be moving timeslots. But I haven't seen promos for Black-ish saw it on Black-ish website last week.

Where's the website? Just wondering.

No. I think they'll be taping at the same facilities that Paternity and Couples Court tape their shows

WGTV studios, home of Georgia Public Broadcasting which is actually quite a massive production facility if you pull it up on Google Maps.

Latest Notes from NYC:

Black-ish debuts on WPIX 9/17 at 7+7:30p (Sun 7-8p) Source: https://blackishtv.com/

Chicago PD debuts on WWOR 9/24 11a + 12p (replacing 'Dateline',no word where it will be relocated)

Summer tests have already begun:

The Hustle: Think 'Right this minute' without the panel. More solo commentary + quick flashy graphics. Debuted 7/16 on selected FOX O&Os. https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/fox-stations-prep-to-test-the-hustle

Phone Swap: Already in season 2 on snapchat, it'll be 1st show crossing over from there to broadcast tv. Attempt to revive the dating genre in syndication (a la the ever missed 'blind date', which i think they should've revived instead imo, but i digress) Debuting tomorrow 8/6 also on selected FOX O&Os. https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/fox-television-stations-prep-to-launch-phone-swap

Meredith Vieira, most recently hosted PBS' Great American Read, before her short lived talk show, returns to the game show genre hosting '25 words or less' based off the aforementioned board game, whose creator is a producer of the show. Also debuting tomorrow 8/6 on select FOX O&Os. https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/meredith-vieira-to-host-25-words-or-less

The Q: FOX 29 philly produced talk show hosted by quincy harris, which was tested last summer on selected stations, at least will air on FOX 5 8/6 at 2:30pm. No word if it's temporary or permanent, nor if other O&Os are picking up.

Side Note: The Jason Show gets picked up by HULU. No word if O&Os will follow suit or it this just exclusive. https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-lifestyle/jason-mathesons-fox-9-show-gets-picked-up-by-hulu

So i guess last year's tests such as 'Punchline' 'Ana Polo Rules' (english crosover of caso cerrado) and 'Iwitness' (judge judy produced game show) were all No Gos afterwards so far....

Latest Notes from NYC:

Black-ish debuts on WPIX 9/17 at 7+7:30p (Sun 7-8p) Source: https://blackishtv.com/

Chicago PD debuts on WWOR 9/24 11a + 12p (replacing 'Dateline',no word where it will be relocated)

Summer tests have already begun:

The Hustle: Think 'Right this minute' without the panel. More solo commentary + quick flashy graphics. Debuted 7/16 on selected FOX O&Os. https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/fox-stations-prep-to-test-the-hustle

Phone Swap: Already in season 2 on snapchat, it'll be 1st show crossing over from there to broadcast tv. Attempt to revive the dating genre in syndication (a la the ever missed 'blind date', which i think they should've revived instead imo, but i digress) Debuting tomorrow 8/6 also on selected FOX O&Os. https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/fox-television-stations-prep-to-launch-phone-swap

Meredith Vieira, most recently hosted PBS' Great American Read, before her short lived talk show, returns to the game show genre hosting '25 words or less' based off the aforementioned board game, whose creator is a producer of the show. Also debuting tomorrow 8/6 on select FOX O&Os. https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/meredith-vieira-to-host-25-words-or-less

The Q: FOX 29 philly produced talk show hosted by quincy harris, which was tested last summer on selected stations, at least will air on FOX 5 8/6 at 2:30pm. No word if it's temporary or permanent, nor if other O&Os are picking up.

Side Note: The Jason Show gets picked up by HULU. No word if O&Os will follow suit or it this just exclusive. https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-lifestyle/jason-mathesons-fox-9-show-gets-picked-up-by-hulu

So i guess last year's tests such as 'Punchline' 'Ana Polo Rules' (english crosover of caso cerrado) and 'Iwitness' (judge judy produced game show) were all No Gos afterwards so far....

That'll mark a return for Viera to hosting a game show since she left Millionaire several years back

Latest Notes from NYC:

Any word if one or both shows will air on the "national" CW lineup (aka CW Plus)?

Rachael Ray and The Doctors are both moving to WBNX this fall. Rachael is currently on WOIO and Doctors is on WKYC.

One other thing that probably clinched another season for the Drs, they still have prime real estate (3pm or 4pm time slots) in most markets. I'm sure theres at least one station thats buried the show in late night, can someone name one?

Or perhaps the real reason it's not getting cancelled this year is that most of the stations carrying it are under multi-year contracts, which didn't expire at the end of the season.

One other thing that probably clinched another season for the Drs, they still have prime real estate (3pm or 4pm time slots) in most markets. I'm sure theres at least one station thats buried the show in late night, can someone name one?

WDJT at 2:05am in the morning, WMLW at 10am. That's about as non-prime as you can get on either end of the schedule. Also they have CW+ coverage, so that guarantee probably sealed a new season more than the 20-100 markets' placement of the show.

WDJT at 2:05am in the morning, WMLW at 10am. That's about as non-prime as you can get on either end of the schedule. Also they have CW+ coverage, so that guarantee probably sealed a new season more than the 20-100 markets' placement of the show.

The Drs is moving to CW(+)? Will it be first run episodes, or will it be reruns, like they do for their airings Jerry & Maury?

Archived