Fox and Sinclair finalizing purchase of six stations

ColDayNews

We all know Fox only buys stations located in NFC markets, but why would Fox buy a station in an AFC market, especially in Miami? That just doesn't makes sense at all.

Fox has Thursday Night Football locked up for the next five years. They want all the NFL markets now.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not only that but having an affiliation adds value to the station. Why are so many of you so adamant on these affiliation changes? I'm sure Ed Anson is happy with 7 NEWS with FOX. If he could he would want WHDH to be affiliated with FOX too, and I hope he gets his wish. However, it doesn't means it's going to happen. Remember, when WISH-TV 8 in Indy lost it CBS affiliation. It devalue the price of the sale from Media General to Nexstar.

I would love for some stations to change affiliations, but at the end of the day it's economics and the parent company deal with the affiliation agreement.

That Media General & Lin TV merger in 2014 where the price was devalue after that Lin agreed to CBS terms. I see Fox doing what NBC did in Boston in Miami just my opinion.

[quote name='broadcastfan9751']Fox did own WUTB in Baltimore for a while before selling it to Deerfield/Sinclair.[/QUOTE] I want to say that could have been done partially because (I think) with WUTB’s old tower being a bit more southern than the TV Hill ones they could be a rimshot analog signal to DC proper. WUTB also ran the WTTG evening newscasts for a while given the sheer number of Baltimore commuters to DC - you know an extended weather segment and news where they work. I think it may have been smart (and essentially free programming for an hour) the Baltimore stations cover weather in the maps for DC here but not a detailed forecast and I believe people care about the big story’s where they work. Now with two of the major English language stations changing hands will there be a shake up in the market rankings? I believe KFMB is #1 but TEGNA will cut the fat, KGTV sounding iffy based on @Eat News ’ comments, and KSWB being sold to Sinclair, and KNSD getting new life do you think there will be a change in the ratings coming?

We all know Fox only buys stations located in NFC markets, but why would Fox buy a station in an AFC market, especially in Miami? That just doesn't makes sense at all.

cross flexing of AFC games to Fox, and the Thursday night package and possibly another playoff game. although Miami is a crappy sports town when it comes to fan support compared to places like Cleveland or KC

[quote name='rkolsen']I want to say that could have been done partially because (I think) with WUTB’s old tower being a bit more southern than the TV Hill ones they could be a rimshot analog signal to DC proper. WUTB also ran the WTTG evening newscasts for a while given the sheer number of Baltimore commuters to DC - you know an extended weather segment and news where they work. I think it may have been smart (and essentially free programming for an hour) the Baltimore stations cover weather in the maps for DC here but not a detailed forecast and I believe people care about the big story’s where they work. Now with two of the major English language stations changing hands will there be a shake up in the market rankings? I believe KFMB is #1 but TEGNA will cut the fat, KGTV sounding iffy based on @Eat News ’ comments, and KSWB being sold to Sinclair, and KNSD getting new life do you think there will be a change in the ratings coming?[/QUOTE] Wait....you were talking about DC stations, then suddenly you're talking about San Diego stations. Did I miss something?

Wait....you were talking about DC stations, then suddenly you're talking about San Diego stations. Did I miss something?

Someone mentioned WUTB and I gave a brief mention of when Fox Owned it and they ran certain WTTG newscasts. When that was over I was wondering what may happen to the ratings.

That Media General & Lin TV merger in 2014 where the price was devalue after that Lin agreed to CBS terms. I see Fox doing what NBC did in Boston in Miami just my opinion.

I don't think FOX is eyeing Miami, because it would have taken Miami in the 90s. FOX is thirsty, but not dehydrated for Miami. I think Miami, is safe unless Ed Ansin dies. However, he said he would never sell it would go to his kids. There only a few markets FOX owns in the AFC, because we know FOX loves those NFC markets. With this Tribune-Sinclair deal, FOX is hungry for Seattle so bad they can taste it.

I don't think FOX is eyeing Miami, because it would have taken Miami in the 90s. FOX is thirsty, but not dehydrated for Miami. I think Miami, is safe unless Ed Ansin dies. However, he said he would never sell it would go to his kids. There only a few markets FOX owns in the AFC, because we know FOX loves those NFC markets. With this Tribune-Sinclair deal, FOX is hungry for Seattle so bad they can taste it.

Everyone has their price. Fox actually has the money to meet Ansin's.

How can you tell?

Because it's in an NFC market.

And because someone decided they weren't gonna be bullied into giving up their flagship station that had been owned by them for half a century. I do think at the same time that Fox somehow extorted Capitol into giving it up because Fox could have bought WLFL/WRDC in Raleigh (which would have displaced WRAZ, one of their flagship interests) and moved their affiliation there. I think the Panthers get really high ratings on RAZ.

Precisely. Also WJZY just happened to already be in a duopoly with a MyNet station so they grabbed WMYT too. Fox got them at a bargain since they didn’t get WLFL/WRDC.

k

Well they have money & Ansin worth millions. He just don't own tv stations. There's definitely a price to pay at 21st century/FOX. Sometimes not worth it though. The good folks at KTVU miss being owned by Cox instead of FOX. KTVU had it good when Cox owned the station. FOX can have all the $$$ buy the employees are not too thrill.

How can you tell?[/quote

We know FOX wants Seattle, and will more likely get Cleveland and few others from Sinclair-Tribune deal. However, I gotta believe it to see it FOX wanting Miami bad. Miami, is not a good sports town. Miami Hurricanes do better than pro teams. I guess if FOX buys WSVN within the next year and half so when 2020 comes the Super Bowl will be in Miami and FOX will have rights to broadcast the game. I expect Ed to own the station unless Murdoch's children are desperately wanting this station just to be greedy.

How can you tell?

Well they have money & Ansin worth millions. He just don't own tv stations. There's definitely a price to pay at 21st century/FOX. Sometimes not worth it though. The good folks at KTVU miss being owned by Cox instead of FOX. KTVU had it good when Cox owned the station. FOX can have all the $$$ buy the employees are not too thrill.

We know FOX wants Seattle, and will more likely get Cleveland and few others from Sinclair-Tribune deal. However, I gotta believe it to see it FOX wanting Miami bad. Miami, is not a good sports town. Miami Hurricanes do better than pro teams. I guess if FOX buys WSVN within the next year and half so when 2020 comes the Super Bowl will be in Miami and FOX will have rights to broadcast the game. I expect Ed to own the station unless Murdoch's children are desperately wanting this station just to be greedy

I don't think FOX is eyeing Miami, because it would have taken Miami in the 90s. FOX is thirsty, but not dehydrated for Miami. I think Miami, is safe unless Ed Ansin dies. However, he said he would never sell it would go to his kids.

The kids, of course, might be more willing to sell.

Current owners of Fox stations in AFC markets:

AFC East

Buffalo Bills: Sinclair

Miami Dolphins: Sunbeam

New England Patriots: Cox

New York Jets: O&O

AFC North

Baltimore Ravens: Sinclair

Cincinnati Bengals: Raycom

Cleveland Browns: Tribune --> Sinclair

Pittsburgh Steelers: Sinclair

AFC South

Houston Texans: O&O

Indianapolis Colts: Tribune --> Sinclair

Jacksonville Jaguars: Cox

Tennessee Titans: Sinclair

AFC West

Denver Broncos: Tribune --> Sinclair

Kansas City Chiefs: Tribune --> Sinclair

Los Angeles Chargers: O&O

Oakland Raiders: O&O

If the deal goes through, Sinclair will have 8 of the 16 AFC market Fox affiliates.

Archived