Charles Barkley retiring from TV next season regardless of what happens to the NBA on TNT

NYCsporty

Chuck made the announcement during NBATV's postgame coverage of Game 4 of the NBA Finals. He'll be sorely missed after next season, especially when you see the garbage fire that is the studio show of the main NBA broadcaster ESPN. https://awfulannouncing.com/tnt-sports/charles-barkley-retirement-announcement-next-year.html

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

This tells me that he already has inside info that TNT won't be retaining any sort of NBA contact. I'm sure that will be revealed shortly after the NBA Finals end, and then TNT will gear up for its farewell season.

• Like 1
  • Empathetic 1

Is it possible that TNT could just air some games nationally during the regular season, without the playoffs at a reduce amount of $ so that they can remain in business with the NBA instead of just being on the production side of things running NBATV for the NBA?

Edited by JTT
  • Like 1
  • Thought-Provoking 1

I think he won't retire.  There's so much $ & other potential offers that might be too much to turn down.  I know he mentioned that he has his own studio.  With a major investments from other major studios or just partnering with them to produce content will be tempting.

Edited by JTT

20 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

This tells me that he already has inside info that TNT won't be retaining any sort of NBA contact. I'm sure that will be revealed shortly after the NBA Finals end, and then TNT will gear up for its farewell season.

I think so as well.  It sounds like WarnerBros Discovery CEO is ok with losing the NBA rights on TNT.  I told someone that TNT version is way better than ESPN doing NBA basketball.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Breaking News said:

I think so as well.  It sounds like WarnerBros Discovery CEO is ok with losing the NBA rights on TNT.  I told someone that TNT version is way better than ESPN doing NBA basketball.

** David Zaslav, who's a hack.

• Like 3

I wonder if WBD will sell its stake in NBATV after 2024-25 NBA season is over. I think Charles Barkley will remain on TV in some form the money is too much for him to retire if he does retire all the best enjoy retirement Sir Charles.  

• Thanks 1