WABC to launch 4pm news

wabceyewitness

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hasn't that been airing for a while? Also WABC put the promo on their Facebook.. The reaction was mixed.. I guess they were looking for feedback?

Wow.. Maybe I'm just used to the different style of promos used in my market. If they want feedback, here's mine. I think that WABC one is corny/cheesy. Fits right in with the WPVI one.

Looks to much like eye candy to people who work in the creative/promo departments but doesn't really catch audiences' attention. Only ratings will tell. I'm sure their 4PM will do fine whether they ran that promo or not..

I'm waiting for something a little more clever.. and "less graphic-y" as some management I know say. I was hoping a station around would have something similar to this:

but more fitting for a 4PM newscast..

I'm a bit jealous seeing all these stations announcing their post-Oprah newscasts. It has been reported months, if not over a year ago, that KCNC wants/is going to return the 4pm hour to news, but I haven't heard a peep about it recently.

It's not worthy of a new thread but, I wanted to note WABC has three anchors on for coverage of the Osama Bin Laden news.

Bill Ritter is on with Joe Torres & Sandra Bookman.

WNBC is Shiba Russel and WCBS is Cindy Hsu.

It's not worthy of a new thread but, I wanted to note WABC has three anchors on for coverage of the Osama Bin Laden news.

That's what makes Bill Ritter who he is. His passion is news - and he came in on his own last night when the news broke to help out. That's what a real newsman does. People like Bill don't really exist anymore. We're lucky to have him.

Tonight (Monday) WCBS had Maurice and Kristine live at ground zero.. Fox 5 had extensive coverage but all anchors were in the studio.. WABC had great coverage with Diana Williams at Ground Zero at 5.. Bill Ritter was there at 6. Sade and Liz were on at their normal times in the studio

They just aired a much better promo to the song of "Hello Goodbye" I don't have the equipment to upload it but if it's on YouTube i will post the link..if not I'm sure someone will post it sometime tonight.

I noticed starting Monday the sports highlights are now in HD or 16:9 SD.

Plus last month weekend public affairs shows stared to be broadcast HD.

Seems like WABC has made some upgrades recently to record more video in HD and broadcast recorded WABC programming in HD.

I wonder if the 2:06am replay of the 11pm newscast will be in HD?

They just aired a much better promo to the song of "Hello Goodbye" I don't have the equipment to upload it but if it's on YouTube i will post the link..if not I'm sure someone will post it sometime tonight.

I saw the "Goodbye/Hello" promo..."say goodbye to Oprah on May 25 and, on May 26, say hello to Eyewitness News"... it was a cute idea, but they could've done a much better job with it. Also, the promo makes it seem like a lighter newscast, yet the First @ 4:00 logo and the previous promo makes it seem like a hard newscast. Which is it? Seems like they are going for a semi-soft launch of this show. No real promotion of it.

nynewsguy -- any update on the studio construction, graphics and music?

Today, and the rest of next week, the station is doing rehearsals for the new 4pm news. The current set is a bit tweaked with a nice blue background of the Brooklyn Bridge and the Eyewitness News First @ 4:00 logo on both panels. Sorry, no pics, just take my word!

Will that blue brooklyn bridge background be used for all newscasts or just the 4pm?

Today, and the rest of next week, the station is doing rehearsals for the new 4pm news. The current set is a bit tweaked with a nice blue background of the Brooklyn Bridge and the Eyewitness News First @ 4:00 logo on both panels. Sorry, no pics, just take my word!

LOL.. Net - are you giving away all my secrets? haha. j/k buddy ;)

Yes - as Netnewsguy pointed out - there is a background added to 13 for the 4PM show. I have to say, it's been fun watching the crew practice

transitioning the studio from the 4pm show to the 5pm show in the time alloted.. it's not something the guys around here are used to.

I posted this in the Liz/Sade thread re - the new look/music:

There are many changes coming to the look and sound of Eyewitness News at the end of the summer. New studio, new graphics, new music, etc. The 4PM will be a "work in progress" until they have the studio space to make it everything its supposed to be.

Liz is by no means taking a demotion by moving to 4PM - as was said - both Dave and Kenny have confidence that she will help retain viewers and is the right female to lead the show. Much like Lori Stokes gets "head billing" at 4:30am and noon, Liz will as well at 4PM.

Yes, same generic EWN open with NEW beauties of both Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges followed by Charlie Van Dyke announcing. "This is the news leader. Channel 7's Eyewitness News.......... First "AT" 4...."

Yup - exactly. For everyone else - There will be no changes to the graphics/music until the new studio is ready to launch. That is still a few months away... construction is moving very slowly, there was a lot of reconfiguring to do at 147 Columbus.

@ nynewsguy: Naw, the network has access to all the WABC TV13 and TV14 clean studios and remote feeds. The folks were watching the TV13 rehearsals while I was posting to tvnewstalk. You're right, it WAS fun to watch the anchors without make up with open mics!!!! :)

In fact, we have access to clean studio feeds from KABC, WLS, KGO and KTRK. It's always fun to watch (or listen) to the anchors talk on open mics during commercial breaks.

@Net - I totally forgot that you guys have access to all our feeds... I'm so stuck in the local mindset that I rarely give thought to the fact you guys can be watching at anytime just next door.

btw - has the network assigned a studio number to the new one being built at 147 Columbus? I heard that it was possibly going to be TV13, and the current TV13 would be TV14. You hearing any grumblings to that effect?

Seems like a lot of progress is being made at WABC with all of these posts. Thanks for the insight Netnewsguy and Nynewguy. At this point we just have to wait and see. Did you see any hint of a format change at all during the rehearsals or was it just an extra hour like KABC? Also my other question how likely are the Oprah reruns? That would be cool to see, reruns at 1:06AM until September.

They have launched a Facebook page exclusively for the 4pm newscast.. Asking many people to leave suggestions on what they want... So far many people are requesting they focus on communities outside NYC and from the responses from the staff that seems to be what they are aiming too do. So I guess we will wait and see.. Should be interesting.

There is apparently going to be a lot of interaction with viewers... 'Getting ready for our first show on Thursday, May 26 at 4:00 p.m. on Channel 7! We'll also have an interactive website to go along with the show. More on that soon!" (FROM FACEBOOK)

There is apparently going to be a lot of interaction with viewers... 'Getting ready for our first show on Thursday, May 26 at 4:00 p.m. on Channel 7! We'll also have an interactive website to go along with the show. More on that soon!" (FROM FACEBOOK)

Yup - as I've said - the first few months of the 4PM show are going to be a work in progress. Things will be very fluid as the show takes shape... There will be a lot of features/viewer interaction moved to the 4PM show once the new studio is done. Look for Neighboorhood Eats, 7 On Your Side, Education reports, etc... It will be a show that will be community oriented eventually. At least that's the goal.

@Net - I agree... Dave & Kenny definitely picked a great team.

LOL.. Net - are you giving away all my secrets? haha. j/k buddy ;)

Yes - as Netnewsguy pointed out - there is a background added to 13 for the 4PM show. I have to say, it's been fun watching the crew practice

transitioning the studio from the 4pm show to the 5pm show in the time alloted.. it's not something the guys around here are used to.

I posted this in the Liz/Sade thread re - the new look/music:

There are many changes coming to the look and sound of Eyewitness News at the end of the summer. New studio, new graphics, new music, etc. The 4PM will be a "work in progress" until they have the studio space to make it everything its supposed to be.

Liz is by no means taking a demotion by moving to 4PM - as was said - both Dave and Kenny have confidence that she will help retain viewers and is the right female to lead the show. Much like Lori Stokes gets "head billing" at 4:30am and noon, Liz will as well at 4PM.

Thank you for taking the time to adress the topic on my thread. I really appreciate it.

Now, I do feel like the new show will have an effect on that of the 5 and 6 pm shows. While I am excited for the show and everyone involved, I can't help but wonder if the newscasts at 5 and 6 will have their ratings clipped as a result of this new launch. Gosh, I hope not.

Its also nice to know that Cho is not getting demoted. That makes me feel a lot better.

Archived