WABC to launch 4pm news

wabceyewitness

Anyone know how long will WABC keep having these audio and video switching errors from the automated system they are using?

Just now we had a close up of Ken as he is tossing to Lisa for a business report, the camera does a fast pan over to a closeup of Lori.

Lisa starts her report as the camera is on Lori and Lisa's mic is not on for a few seconds. They go to the graphic for the business report then finally her mic comes on when she was on camera.

Another one that just happened, Ken's intro to a story got cut off as they went to the recorded segment to soon.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not uncommon to see new episodes of Oprah during the summer. My guess is that reruns would be aired at the end of May through August and then the first week, she'll return with new episodes for the final week of the season (September 5th - September 9th). Maybe WABC may informally do a broadcast at 4PM during those Oprah reruns and then preempt the broadcast for just that week (September 5th - 9th) and then relaunch the show formally on Monday September 12, 2011.

Its not uncommon to see new episodes of Oprah during the summer. My guess is that reruns would be aired at the end of May through August and then the first week, she'll return with new episodes for the final week of the season (September 5th - September 9th). Maybe WABC may informally do a broadcast at 4PM during those Oprah reruns and then preempt the broadcast for just that week (September 5th - 9th) and then relaunch the show formally on Monday September 12, 2011.

And that would be the case were there a subsequent season. What sense does it make retaining the show's staff and crew after May? It's over in May. Reruns through early September.

In the reports about 6's 4pm news, they said it would be "launching this summer". That to me suggests that they'll go for a May/June launch after Oprah's final episode this spring. Of course, this doesn't mean that 7 will launch then, as 6's 4pm news plans are presumably farther ahead given that they already have an anchor team named.

With the new set coming soon according to the Daily News its official that the broadcast will begin sometime before Memorial Day. If I recall correctly it was around the same time in May 2008 that they debut their current graphics package.

With the new set coming soon according to the Daily News its official that the broadcast will begin sometime before Memorial Day. If I recall correctly it was around the same time in May 2008 that they debut their current graphics package.

yupp thats right and they debuted the new graphics a year after the fire.

Ok it's obvious that a newscast won't have the same ratings as Oprah but do u actually think that people will switch from 7 to watch one of the court shows? Plus I know plenty of people including myself that watch the peoples court and switch to channel 7 either way people like what they like. I think channel 7s 4pm newscast migt do better then we think and the other newscasts ratings will not be effected.

Ok it's obvious that a newscast won't have the same ratings as Oprah but do u actually think that people will switch from 7 to watch one of the court shows? Plus I know plenty of people including myself that watch the peoples court and switch to channel 7 either way people like what they like. I think channel 7s 4pm newscast migt do better then we think and the other newscasts ratings will not be effected.

Well you know what they say, "You Never Know What You Can Do Until You Try."

WABC simply has to try it out to see what happens. And they will and we'll find out for sure. :p

If it doesn't work, then they can do something else. I honestly think a formal newscast at 4PM is too early, a better option would be a format change such as something like what WNBC does like LX New York or some type of entertainment show. Perhaps a Live at Four?, lol. Anyway I've never seen anything like that on WABC and that is something that viewers might like too. They need to target the female (30+) demographic because that is the majority of viewers that are home during that time. WABC's newscasts are often too hard and concrete. I think they should deviate from that a little bit and do something of which that they've done in the past like during the days of Ernie Anastos and Kaity Tong in the mid 1980s. Perhaps they can hold celebrity interviews or establish a talk show. But something more entertaining and not as serious as the 5pm and 6pm broadcasts.

I have no interest in watching news after the ABC soaps. It just seems too early.

If ABC cancels a soap, as rumored ("One Life to Live" is the one usually mentioned, but they just cut the budget for "General Hospital" 50%, and cut the budget for "All My Children" when it moved to LA last year), there will be an hour of time to play with as a "buffer" between the remaining soaps and the start of the 4 pm news. They'll probably fill it with a talk show of some kind, like they do now.

It was mentioned in another forum that Eyewitness News Now is changing to an SD version of Live Well Network on Friday February 25.

Why bother doing that? They should just remove the third sub channel and give the bandwidth back to 7.1 WABC-DT HD.

• 2 weeks later...

Sade and Phil are both too green to hold a show up by themselves. They need established anchors by their side, hence them being paired with Diana Williams and Michelle Charlesworth, respectively.

Plus, I would think WABC wants a strong, established set of anchors to lead off their new afternoon news block.

Sade and Phil are both too green to hold a show up by themselves. They need established anchors by their side, hence them being paired with Diana Williams and Michelle Charlesworth, respectively.

Plus, I would think WABC wants a strong, established set of anchors to lead off their new afternoon news block.

That and did you see them anchor both the 5 & 6 on Friday night? They did a great job. Let's see what Davis and Plotnik decide.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone noticed that David Novarro has been getting his "tryouts" with the various female anchors as of late? Last weekend with Michelle, this week with Sade... it's all in prep of the upcoming 4pm show.

Has anyone noticed that David Novarro has been getting his "tryouts" with the various female anchors as of late? Last weekend with Michelle, this week with Sade... it's all in prep of the upcoming 4pm show.

Yes I have noticed...I remember he was with Lori Stokes a few weeks ago and they had great chemistry... This being said I guess David has the spot or is at least the main male candidate for the 4pm show? On a personal note I would really like to see Michelle Charlesworth get the spot..she really deserves it.

It's interesting that they promote from within, yet they don't seem to be (based on the opinions of fellow posters) promoting the current teams in place. Wouldn't it be fair for the current weekend evening team get the new weekday 4pm slot? Then the current weekending morning team promoted to weekend evenings and so on.

It's interesting that they promote from within, yet they don't seem to be (based on the opinions of fellow posters) promoting the current teams in place. Wouldn't it be fair for the current weekend evening team get the new weekday 4pm slot? Then the current weekending morning team promoted to weekend evenings and so on.

This is very true.... but no, the promotions from within have nothing to do with where you currently place... just as long as you're part of the team. The morning team has changed COUNTLESS times over the past 20 years, and only once did the weekend evening anchor become the weekday morning anchor (when Harry Martin originally replaced Tim Fleisher). Same applies to weekend mornings. Only David Ushery moved from weekend mornings to weekdays.

WABC generally looks for chemistry (with rare exceptions, such as Charles Perez) but that was quickly fixed. They also look to see where the anchor teams would fit in best with their audiences, the kind of news/stories/features they would be covering, etc.

Having a team of David Novarro and Michelle Charlesworth would give you a team capable of both hard and light news. Can you picture Sandra Bookman and Joe Torres doing that?

Granted, no decisions have been made yet. I wouldn't expect anything for a few weeks yet.

When David sat in for Lipof a few weekends back, he and Charlesworth didn't have nearly the camaraderie she has with Phil. She seemed downright relieved when Phil was back. I don't think that pairing will work for weekdays at all (IMHO).

I think David and Sandra might make the best pairing of all... and let someone like Toni Yates sit with Joe on the weekends.

What about Michelle and Phil move to the 4:00 and David and Toni do weekend mornings? Or put Michelle and Joe on at 4? Then Phil and Sandra do the weekend evenings and David and Toni in the AM on wkends?

Like I said, nothing has been decided... there are merely pairings being experimented with right now...

David is almost a lock at this point for a weekday evening slot. Whether it ends up being 4PM or 5PM remains to be seen. As for the female co-anchor, I can only say that the original thinking was Michelle - whether that ends up being the case after the trials, who knows?

It's still possible that the current evening anchors may just take over the added duties. Nothing has been decided. We're still 2 months out from the debut. I don't expect anything for another month.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update - latest I've heard is that it's leaning towards Lori Stokes joining David Novarro at 4PM (remaining with Ken Rosato at noon) and Michelle Charlesworth joining Ken at 4:30AM weekdays. Toni Yates becoming the weekend morning anchor.

Me personally - I don't know if messing around with the morning show is a good idea. The show has been on the top for a while now, it would really be a shame to mess with the chemistry there. I would rather just see one of the current evening women add 4PM to their duties. Lori does well in the AM with Ken and Bill Evans.

Archived