WABC to launch 4pm news

wabceyewitness

I mean no offense, just curious-

As a Chicagoan, what exactly is so different about the 4pm news, compared to the 5/6pm shows...other than the one-hour format?

The story selections, features, extra stuff.. The story order too. The Chicago 4PM has a much lighter feel to it than the 5PM's out east. Best way to see is to grab a tape (or whatever format) of WLS's 4PM news and run it up against WABC's or any other NY station's 5PM news.. They are very different.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The story selections, features, extra stuff.. The story order too. The Chicago 4PM has a much lighter feel to it than the 5PM's out east. Best way to see is to grab a tape (or whatever format) of WLS's 4PM news and run it up against WABC's or any other NY station's 5PM news.. They are very different.

It's funny, after so many years of watching WLS, the news at 4 seems just like the other broadcasts...probably when Joel Daly retired in 2005. The clear separartion between afternoon and evening became less evident after that.

As for the station comparison, I have watched WABC's 5pm show online...and now that I'm thinking about it, there is quite a difference in presentation.

You could compare any market across the country against another and see a lot of differences in presentation/content. The stations need to appeal to the demographic of the area, and also cover the news in a format which is relevant to the market.

Look at the news in LA. It reads more like a news magazine / entertainment show then a newscast from NY or Chicago. Miami news is also very much like that. Again, news which fits the demographic.

I've actually had people from other parts of the country come up to me and say that NY news is "too harsh" "too depressing" "not enough upbeat stories"... the list goes on and on. People from around the country are used to different presentations/formats, and that's what makes each market individual - the people.

...I've actually had people from other parts of the country come up to me and say that NY news is "too harsh" "too depressing" "not enough upbeat stories"... the list goes on and on. People from around the country are used to different presentations/formats, and that's what makes each market individual - the people.

And thats exactly true, i've watched Numerous KABC broadcasts and it is totally different than that of WABC. The Eyewitness News in LA is certainly more "fluffier" than New York's Eyewitness News. The anchors of Eyewitness News in LA are treated as if they are movie stars themselves, especially when looking at the old openings from the early 2000s. Even WLS's broadcasts are extremely different than WABC's. WABC's broadcast seem to be more "fun" during the Morning and the 5PM shows. The rest of them are very strict and most of the stories presented are less upbeat if any.

If one is looking for a LA Styled News Magazine Broadcast, FOX 5 is certainly close to that. Although its very flashly and tabloidy as it has always been, its the only entertaining broadcast that is geared towards a younger audience. Along with PIX 11. Eyewitness News is certainly geared towards the older and middle aged audience. (Aged 30+). Anyway I'm hoping they will steer away from that for the 4PM broadcast and make it a bit more fun.

If WPVI's template is anything to go by, Glassberg might play a role in there. Yeah, the WPVI 4pm is being billed as a three-anchor format, but the promos are more like "two anchors and a chick standing at the big board", which is what I expected.

But again, is the brief basically "another hour of Eyewitness News"? or "a different kind of newscast"? The anchor lineups would have to reflect what they're going for.

This is interesting because WLS follows a similar format for their 10PM news. The "chick standing by the big board", lol is more of a contributing anchor and that is the role that Cheryl Jennings currently holds at WLS has for their 10PM broadcasts. It would be interesting to see something like that done here in New York. Considering that WPVI is doing it.

This is interesting because WLS follows a similar format for their 10PM news. The "chick standing by the big board", lol is more of a contributing anchor and that is the role that Cheryl Jennings currently holds at WLS has for their 10PM broadcasts. It would be interesting to see something like that done here in New York. Considering that WPVI is doing it.

Cheryl Burton, not Jennings. lol

BREAKING NEWS from NY Daily News

Posted today in the Daily News, here are the lineups for WABC Channel 7 Eyewitness News between 4 to 11

First at 4: David Novarro & Liz Cho

5pm: Diana Williams & Sade Baderinwa

6pm: Bill Ritter & Liz Cho

11pm: Bill Ritter & Sade Baderinwa

This will be in effect on May 9th, First at 4 will start at May 26th

BREAKING NEWS from NY Daily News

Posted today in the Daily News, here are the lineups for WABC Channel 7 Eyewitness News between 4 to 11

First at 4: David Novarro & Liz Cho

5pm: Diana Williams & Sade Baderinwa

6pm: Bill Ritter & Liz Cho

11pm: Bill Ritter & Sade Baderinwa

This will be in effect on May 9th, First at 4 will start at May 26th

I gotta say - we were all very surprised to hear that Liz was moving from the 11PM... but hey, her addition at 4PM should definitely help bring credit to the show - plus I know that she, like Diana, wants to spend time with her family, and this will allow her to do that.

Thankfully Bill and Sade already have great chemistry... and since the audience at 11 is used to Sade, the transition there should be smooth.

I think this will work great for them...Bill and Sade get along great and do great together...so with this finally announced does any1 know what kind of format the show will have? Will it be like the rest of the evening newscasts or a little lighter?

I think this will work great for them...Bill and Sade get along great and do great together...so with this finally announced does any1 know what kind of format the show will have? Will it be like the rest of the evening newscasts or a little lighter?

Straight "Eyewitness News" format - it will not be a lifestyles show like LX New York...

It'll be a cross between the 5PM show and the weekend morning format...

To: #WABC-TV All Employees

Subject: “Eyewitness News—First at 4″, Eyewitness News at 5, 6 & 11PM

Ladies and Gentlemen…..Can you believe it? We’re just 5 weeks away from the start of a new chapter in the history of Eyewitness News. “Eyewitness News…First at 4” begins on May 26th and I’m so pleased to announce that Liz Cho and David Novarro will co-anchor our new broadcast, joining Eyewitness News Meteorologist Lee Goldberg.

It also gives me great pleasure to announce that Sade Baderinwa will join Bill Ritter as co-anchor of Eyewitness News at 11, effective May 9th.

Liz will continue to co-anchor the 6pm with Bill, and Sade will continue to co-anchor the 5pm with Diana Williams.

We are fortunate to have someone with Liz’s credentials and rapport with our viewers to tackle this important new assignment. And it will be exciting to watch David assume this new level of responsibility in his home town.

In Sade, we have a trusted member of our team who will provide a seamless transition at 11, and whose experience and proven talent will help that show continue its success.

Please join me in congratulating Liz, David, and Sade as they begin their new roles.

K

The new setup is good. It will be a little adjustment. In my opinion, they should have left the 5, 6, and 11pm teams alone. Have Lori Stokes anchor with David at 4pm. Keep Lori on in the morning with Ken and have Ken solo at noon or have Sade anchor with Ken. However that would be a hard schedule for Lori. I never seen David anchor with Liz. He had great chemistry with Lori.

The new setup is good. It will be a little adjustment. In my opinion' date=' they should have left the 5, 6, and 11pm teams alone. Have Lori Stokes anchor with David at 4pm. Keep Lori on in the morning with Ken and have Ken solo at noon or have Sade anchor with Ken. However that would be a hard schedule for Lori. I never seen David anchor with Liz. He had great chemistry with Lori.[/quote']

This had a lot to do with Liz wanting to get home earlier to her family... just as Diana did back in 2003. It would have been entirely possible to have Liz anchor at 4 & 11, keep 5PM as-is, and 6PM solo by Ritter... but Liz wanted the nights off, so this worked out well for her... She gets more "face-time" and relinquished the 11PM show to Sade.

Sade and Bill work great together - the 11PM will be just fine, and I must say, Sade is VERY popular with the minority audience... Perhaps she'll help regain some of the viewers from channel 2 - which has Maurice and Kristine.

Oh - and FYI - if anyone is curious about fill-ins, this is how it goes....

Diana becomes Sade's primary fill-in at 11pm.

David is Bill's fill-in at 11PM.

Bill is Diana's and Sade's primary fill-in at 5.

Lori is David & Liz's fill-in at 4PM. (will not anchor at noon those days)

Liz & Sade will only fill-in as needed.

I have never seen David and Liz anchor together either...I'm sure they know what they are doing..I'm really surprised Michelle Charlesworth wasn't promoted at all or atleast named a primary fill in for any of the evening people... This is'nt a time for WABC to mess around since most of their afternoon line up is changing.

Overall its something that will require adjustment, but at least its not a major change. I can get use to that idea. Though there was something about the current 11PM Team that I liked and I will miss. Its not that signicant of a change though. I'm glad Diana and Sade are staying put. Its gonna be a bit busy in TV17, that little set of theirs now that they have a third hour of Eyewitness News happening, lol. I'm really digging that title "Eyewitness News First at 4".

Like we've said its a tremendous and probably difficult decision that WABC had to make and obviously they took their time and carefully chosen this new setup and I'm confident they did the absolute right thing. Sade works excellent with Bill just as well as Liz. But Bill gets along with anyone. David is also excellent too. David is a class act, not sure why he left WABC but he was born to do this. And it seems that this change will allow Liz take on more international coressponding assignments such as leaving the country which she did this past weekend to cover the Royal Wedding in the UK.

Overall I like this lineup, excellent decision by WABC and Kenny Plotnik. They've made the right one. And I like the Idea of seeing Lori in the afternoon occasionally on at 4PM in the event that Liz cannot anchor. I really hope it works out for them and this gamble is a win for them.

Now that the teams have been established, what is the situation in regards to the presentation of the station? New Set? New Studio? New Music? Can you fill us in nynewsguy? I remember someone here saying that they are delaying the set, new music would sound more logical though for the shuffle. But then again they still haven't found the new weather reporter for the weekend mornings, so unless they hold off on the new music and or opens till then..

It would be pretty interesting if they actually made use of the Regis and Kelly Studio, as they've done in the past for the election coverages. In the meantime whilst they construct the new set that will debut in November.. They would use it soley for the 4PM broadcast and then use the regular set for the remainder of the other broadcasts. So they can put it back together for the R&K the next morning.

Vlad, they already have a new weather reporter for the weekend mornings. Her name is Amy Freeze, she was the chief meteorologist at WFLD in Chicago. She starts late this month to early next month.

Vlad, they already have a new weather reporter for the weekend mornings. Her name is Amy Freeze, she was the chief meteorologist at WFLD in Chicago. She starts late this month to early next month.

Nice! She has the perfect credentials! They have a top-notch weather team.

WCBS also began airing a promo promoting Judge Judy and their 5pm news, telling viewers WCBS is the place to bet at 4pm.

Hasn't that been airing for a while? Also WABC put the promo on their Facebook.. The reaction was mixed.. I guess they were looking for feedback?

Archived