WABC to launch 4pm news

wabceyewitness

Here's a nice little 15 minute "behind the scenes" of First @ 4PM that WABC posted to their Facebook and website: http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/video?id=8138525

Liz, David, and Lee seem to have great chemistry. Also of note (in regard to previous posts), Liz mentions that in terms of family life, coming in earlier and being home earlier is "Awesome!". They also talk briefly about the new studio coming in fall, which they're excited for.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a nice little 15 minute "behind the scenes" of First @ 4PM that WABC posted to their Facebook and website: http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/video?id=8138525

Liz, David, and Lee seem to have great chemistry. Also of note (in regard to previous posts), Liz mentions that in terms of family life, coming in earlier and being home earlier is "Awesome!". They also talk briefly about the new studio coming in fall, which they're excited for.

thats a really cool video..cool to see more of what to expect from the newscast..nice to see they all get along and excited to try something new.

Neat video! I'm with you on the chemistry between anchors, and LOL at the "hair product" line. Found the bit about the new set towards the end really neat...especially the fact that Lee mentions that he has 39 paces, and not 17, to go to the chroma wall. That means the NEW set has to be at least TWICE as big as they have right now (probably not surprising given what their new real estate looks like).

I also find it cool that they'll use the touch-screen in the weather presentation for "First @ 4", while on the subject of weather presentation.

BTW, anyone know anything new about the progress of the set? I know for sure I'll be looking around for the latest nuggets of information....I'm excited for WABC to go streetside!

Should be a great newscast, I love how they did the behind the scenes. WABC is trying really hard to simply get this show popularized and make it very intuitive for everyone. I think its gonna be great. Of course it certainly won't be like Oprah in terms of ratings, but I think its gonna be strong enough to stay on the air. Based on the videos and the anchors, it seems like the show is ready to go. David, Liz and Lee have outstanding chemistry and they love working together show it should be an enjoyable show.

I don't think this question has been answered but with two days left in the show, does anyone know what will air in place of the 1:06AM Timeslot that currently holds the Oprah Rebroadcast on Thursday? Or is it gonna remain there for the reruns? Verizon FiOS, not sure about the others still actually lists Oprah at the 4:00PM slot on Thursday, lol with the season premiere episode that aired back in September.

I don't think this question has been answered but with two days left in the show, does anyone know what will air in place of the 1:06AM Timeslot that currently holds the Oprah Rebroadcast on Thursday? Or is it gonna remain there for the reruns? Verizon FiOS, not sure about the others still actually lists Oprah at the 4:00PM slot on Thursday, lol with the season premiere episode that aired back in September.

Cablevision has Eyewtiness News at 4 listed..and then for the 1am slot on friday they have Oprah..i guess it will be Oprah till September...

Eyewitness News @ 4PM promo - for last airdate of the Oprah Winfrey Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdbjIh3AAwM

Eyewitness News @ 4PM preview newscast - for last airdate of the Oprah Winfrey Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VKye7WFVRs

The broadcast was a treat, but in an interesting twist, FOX 5 is actually airing Dr. Oz at 4 tomorrow. So we'll just have to see if viewers will leave 7 and switch to 5 instead.. And interestingly enough, Dr. Oz actually has strong ratings outpacing Dr. Phil and Nate Berkus.

Something I did not realize is, starting today in most TV markets Dr. Oz is replacing Oprah in her time slot.

The show is either replacing Oprah if the station aired both shows or moving into that same time slot as FOX5 is doing moving him to 4pm.

There will be 500 Dr. Oz Show painted cabs in NYC today giving free rides from 4pm to 6pm.

Is WABC doing any print advertising for the 4pm newscast?

Something I did not realize is, starting today in most TV markets Dr. Oz is replacing Oprah in her time slot.

The show is either replacing Oprah if the station aired both shows or moving into that same time slot as FOX5 is doing moving him to 4pm.

There will be 500 Dr. Oz Show painted cabs in NYC today giving free rides from 4pm to 6pm.

Is WABC doing any print advertising for the 4pm newscast?

WABC just showed a picture from the helicopter of the Direct TV blimp advertising Eyewitness News First at 4.

Been watching Block A/B so far online (I live in San Diego), so far i am amazingly impressed with how this newscast is somewhat like the others that 7 puts on. Lee being outside among the masses is awesome too, probably a sign of things to come with the new set coming online later this summer. What does everyone else think? It gets a really good grade from me.

'NW

Been watching Block A/B so far online (I live in San Diego), so far i am amazingly impressed with how this newscast is somewhat like the others that 7 puts on. Lee being outside among the masses is awesome too, probably a sign of things to come with the new set coming online later this summer. What does everyone else think? It gets a really good grade from me.

'NW

Haven't been watching New York's 4pm (I've been watching ours), but is it basically "another hour of Eyewitness News" as the comment implies? I'm watching the tail end of it now and it seems like that's the case. (Another hour is decidedly NOT the description I'd give to Philly's new 4pm.)

So they do have a different background behind the desk. However, it seems that they finish the show standing, giving the crew a chance to switch out the backdrop.

Haven't been watching New York's 4pm (I've been watching ours), but is it basically "another hour of Eyewitness News" as the comment implies? I'm watching the tail end of it now and it seems like that's the case. (Another hour is decidedly NOT the description I'd give to Philly's new 4pm.)

Hulkie,

I'd like to say yes, but its a more laid-back version of it. Which i dont mind one bit. And good god, the chemistry between David, Liz, and Lee is really amazing. It adds a nice umph to the newscast. I think this will be something that i'll watch everyday from here on out. Much better than the tabloid-ish news that i have to deal with out here in the west.. :-(

'NW

Hulkie,

I'd like to say yes, but its a more laid-back version of it. Which i dont mind one bit. And good god, the chemistry between David, Liz, and Lee is really amazing. It adds a nice umph to the newscast. I think this will be something that i'll watch everyday from here on out. Much better than the tabloid-ish news that i have to deal with out here in the west.. :-(

'NW

I didn't see the newscast, nor did I get to record it, I'll watch tomorrow, but I do wish that it was tabloidish. And a bit different from the others. Because the newscasts at WABC are too serious and hard but this one is certainly more laid back than the others. I don't know its gonna take some getting used to thats for sure, lol. For those who have watched KABC and WLS, can anyone pinpoint any major differences between the New York (WABC), Chicago (WLS) and the Los Angeles (KABC) 4PM newcasts?

I wouldn't say that WLS is really "laid-back" at 4. I'd say it's comparable to WABC at 5. It does differ from WABC's and WPVI's broadcasts in that it has a full sports report and it is by no means "hip" or big on tech/communication. It's fairly basic:

-4:00/news

-4:15/weather

-"fluff"

-4:30/news

-4:45/"Healthbeat"

-weather

-sports

I've actually watched the debut broadcast, the computer did record the broadcast and so far I think its pretty good. Here is my review:

Quality-wise the broadcast is right on par. WABC has certainly prepared and polished the newscast completely based on what i've seen. The broadcast was also heavilly marketed and advertised in the weeks leading up to it so it shouldn't come as a suprise for a lot of people.

It does feel though as if it is more of a brief because the stories such as the big ones of the day are saved for the 5PM broadcast. I noticed that the reporters had truncated their stories by saying "We'll have more on 5". So these stories are certainly saved for the 5PM broadcast, to keep the viewers on. They are certainly more lighter stories on this broadcast and they are definitely interacting with viewers more on this broadcast, more than ever actually.

As for the Accu-Weather, I'm a big fan of how its being done on the field certainly more time. They've seem to take this idea from sister station WPVI which does this a lot with their 5PM broadcast and I'm sure they are doing it more now on Action News at 4. The Accu-Weather forecast also has a lot of trivial things added to it such as Wellness, and the Pollen Report, very nice.

I like and really dig the "Trend" segment this is definitley aimed at the younger demographic especially those coming home from school. There is certainly more "happy talk" amongst the anchors.

Overall the newscast tends to target the younger demographic along with the stay at home moms. The show is very family friendly and very interesting, some things I wish they had though were interviews like FOX 5. It still feels a little more like just another newscast, but a nice twist would be if they added an interview segment or something to the second half hour of the show this way the "talk show" idea remains.

Though they did have people in, for a brief interview which was cool, so definitely baby steps, lol.

7 Blocks is a nice segment! A great way to showcase New York City adn the surrounding areas. And its interesting how they take the "7" train, haha. This time the the 7 Train itself is now a vehicle for Eyewitness News. Overall they've really planned the broadcast really well and I think its really exciting, as a few people have mentioned though it still will be a work in progress especially when the new set comes this Fall we'll just have to see how the broadcast plays out in the upcoming months. We've been talking about this day for several months now and it has come.

some things I wish they had though were interviews like FOX 5. It still feels a little more like just another newscast, but a nice twist would be if they added an interview segment or something to the second half hour of the show this way the "talk show" idea remains.

Speaking of that, I've noticed for a couple of years there are no studio interviews on the weekend edition of Eyewitness News This Morning.

Anyone know why they stopped? Will they return once they move to the new studio?

WCBS and WNBC regularly have in studio guest segments on weekends.

Speaking of that, I've noticed for a couple of years there are no studio interviews on the weekend edition of Eyewitness News This Morning.

Anyone know why they stopped? Will they return once they move to the new studio?

WCBS and WNBC regularly have in studio guest segments on weekends.

Yeah not sure why they stopped that, I haven't noticed it because I haven't really watched the weekend morning broadcasts but Michelle Charlesworth used to interview people during the weekends though..

Archived