WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

Yes he did noon with Lori.

And poor Lori seemed downright punchy by about midway through the noon broadcast. It was cute. I can't deny that I enjoy the glimmers of real people energy that they allow us to see on this team.

• 3 weeks later...
yeah your really late on that one

Yeah she already started last weekend (Janurary 9th). What I thought was strange was that she took a vacation this past weekend and was off. Typically when you first start at a job you get limited vacation time so I thought it was strange that she would already get a whole weekend off after only being on the job for really 1 week (1 weekend plus the reporting stories she did during select days of the workweek).

Yeah she already started last weekend (Janurary 9th). What I thought was strange was that she took a vacation this past weekend and was off. Typically when you first start at a job you get limited vacation time so I thought it was strange that she would already get a whole weekend off after only being on the job for really 1 week (1 weekend plus the reporting stories she did during select days of the workweek).

She probably had this vacation pre-planned and told PIX during the interview..

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else catch Ch. 7's political coverage Tuesday night? What a failure in comparison to their usual broadcasts.

First, they interrupted network programming around 10:50pm for an Eyewitness News Special Report - about 30 minutes after ABC News already broke in with news that Ted Cruz won the republican Iowa caucus. Now, Bill and Liz announce the same news but are breaking in to show Donald Trump's concession speech. Meanwhile, the L3 banner on WABC declares that Trump was the caucus winner! On top of that, they only air about 45 seconds/minute of his speech before re-joining programming which, by now, is just commercials.

Then at 11, they open the show with a split screen of anchors - the kind you use when one is in the studio and the other is on location somewhere else. Except .. Both Bill and Liz were in the studio.. It's just that they decided to have Liz sit at the desk and Bill stand in front of the touch screen (which he never used in an interactive touch screen way)... Why couldn't they just have them both at the desk and use the giant monitor wall behind them? Or have them stand in front the secondary monitor wall of the the viewer's right?

What an odd night for their newscast.

Anyone else catch Ch. 7's political coverage Tuesday night? What a failure in comparison to their usual broadcasts.

First, they interrupted network programming around 10:50pm for an Eyewitness News Special Report - about 30 minutes after ABC News already broke in with news that Ted Cruz won the republican Iowa caucus. Now, Bill and Liz announce the same news but are breaking in to show Donald Trump's concession speech. Meanwhile, the L3 banner on WABC declares that Trump was the caucus winner! On top of that, they only air about 45 seconds/minute of his speech before re-joining programming which, by now, is just commercials.

Then at 11, they open the show with a split screen of anchors - the kind you use when one is in the studio and the other is on location somewhere else. Except .. Both Bill and Liz were in the studio.. It's just that they decided to have Liz sit at the desk and Bill stand in front of the touch screen (which he never used in an interactive touch screen way)... Why couldn't they just have them both at the desk and use the giant monitor wall behind them? Or have them stand in front the secondary monitor wall of the the viewer's right?

What an odd night for their newscast.

The Scrippsification continues apace... :D

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Seems as if Diana Williams has officially ceded her hosting duties on "Upclose" after not appearing on it since her family medical issues began last year. While her photo still appears in some of the promos and her name is listed in cable TV guides, the show opening now simply says "this is eyewitness news upclose" and no longer announces or displays her name. Bill Ritter also no longer says he is filling in for Diana.

The AccuWeather team launched a promo featuring TENGA like graphics. I didn't see the video but this is just a promo, I repeat this is JUST A PROMO! They will definitely not use these anytime soon as weather or news graphics.

[MEDIA=twitter]704115164254183424[/MEDIA]

• Like 1

Jim Dolan just tweeted that he is returning to air after eight weeks off. Anybody know why he was off for two months? Couldn't have been vacation, and he hasn't given any indication that it was a medical leave.

He's been critical in the past of WABC management decisions (I'm thinking in particular of the email he sent following the exit of Sarah Wallace). Can't help but wonder if this was a suspension. Pure speculation, of course.

• Like 4