New Scripps Package?

MidwestTV

What will KERO do with these silly Widescreen Graphics yet they are still Broadcasting News in Standard Def? Custom GFX? Widescreen SD Format?

WBAL+ (SD 11.2) has a 10pm newscast in SD - Graphics are basically the same, but there are some tweaks for the 4x3 screen - plus I believe the text is slightly larger on the SD newscast.

J

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like KMGH is the next station to get the new graphics and music if the weather page is any indication:

http://www.thedenver...nel.com/weather

Still no new graphics on 7News - looks like they're just testing generating the new weather graphics. Their mobile app shows both the old & new versions of the weather graphics, but the newscast is still using the old ones.

WEWS is already starting to partially letterbox their newscasts for their SD cable feed. I say "partially" because it's only being done with field stories and most b-roll, jumping back to the original ratio with studio and weather shots. Plus it's not a total letterbox - the logo bugs at both ends are still cut off about 1/3 of the way.

WEWS is already starting to partially letterbox their newscasts for their SD cable feed. I say "partially" because it's only being done with field stories and most b-roll, jumping back to the original ratio with studio and weather shots. Plus it's not a total letterbox - the logo bugs at both ends are still cut off about 1/3 of the way.

That silly Bullshit would all be avoided if they kept everything in the 4.3 Zone like it has been. Fixing things that are broken. If people wanted to see widescreen they would upgrade themselves. No the SD viewers have to look at everything "through a Letterbox." What was wrong with it before? Just silly Bullshit. I hate watching in letterbox when HD isn't available. Not all my TVs are HD and they don't need to be. STOP THE MADNESS!!!

KGTV has been doing letterbox in SD for the past few weeks, I assuming to accomidate the widescreen graphics. What's interesting is that they used the new Scripps graphics for a mayoral debate they taped last week, but still have not integrated them into their regular newscasts.

To be fair, there was an article on WEWS' website that mentioned the change to letterbox on the SD feed, they also said that it would take a few weeks before all cable operators made the adjustment.

KGTV has been doing letterbox in SD for the past few weeks, I assuming to accomidate the widescreen graphics. What's interesting is that they used the new Scripps graphics for a mayoral debate they taped last week, but still have not integrated them into their regular newscasts.

It has been an extremely slow rollout, don't know why it is taking this long to debut. However, the sponsor tags are using the new fullscreen graphic.

I feel like they are doing a lot of modifications to the package. In the latest promo they put out about one of their latest investigations, the lower third look larger and glossier and a bit transparent. Not sure if that treatment is just for promos, but it is different from what has been presented by the other Scripps Stations.

I feel like they are doing a lot modifications to the package. In the latest promo they put out about one of their latest investigations, the lower third look larger and glossier and a bit transparent. Not sure if that treatment is just for promos, but it is different from what have been presented by the other Scripps Stations.

I noticed that too, and that they added some red to the color scheme.

Ugh, after waiting so long for them to debut, I miss the first half of the newscast. Go figure, anyways, I caught the 11:30am open, and it is quite interesting, since this is the only open that actually has the Scripps logo incorporated into it. The opens goes like "LIVE from the Scripps studios, This is San Diego's News Source...10 News." Just to add, I was watching this morning, and they were using the old graphics, so the new graphics debuted at 11am.

Is it just me, or are these graphics not great? Looks like some college student's first venture into 3D software. Bland 3D shapes with no texture, pointless movements, poor choice in colors... maybe it's just me...

Is it just me, or are these graphics not great? Looks like some college student's first venture into 3D software. Bland 3D shapes with no texture, pointless movements, poor choice in colors... maybe it's just me...

What they remind you of are a low-down, ho-town local affiliate version of CNN's graphics, which really makes me wonder who did them and which also makes me really wonder why CNN hasn't really thrown a fit about them looking so similar yet.

Photos were just posted on KERO's Facebook page showing the construction of their new set, which is basically the same FX job KJRH received.

http://www.facebook....16542923&type=3

Basically? IT IS! So then what the hell is Scripps doing, telling it's stations "hey, we'll be more than happy to give you a new set, but these are your TWO choices, the WPTV look and the KJRH look; choose one and choose wisely! Because they both sort of suck."

If scripps is starting to mandate their sets like Sinclair and Fox, the two designs they have now would be major downgrades for stations like KSHB and WXYZ.

The L3s still leave a lot to be desired, and the open isn't that great either, but the fullscreen graphics look nice from what I've seen.

Still nothing on KMGH. Maybe they're waiting for the presidential debate?

I don't think that Scripps is giving stations a choice. In KERO's case, the FX set is probably cheaper than BDI's and since they are kind of forced to invest into the station, might as well go the cheap route. Keep in mind that there is a lot of upgrades/investment needed at KMGH, KGTV, KERO, WRTV.

is it me or do these L3's remind you a rip off of the NBC O&O Look F of KNBC's version? especially when you watch the KGTV video with Steve Atkinson at the :43 sec mark.

heres KNBC's video. compare and contrast

^ No not really. I mean, I can maybe see how you mean, and if anything it would be BETTER if the Scripps stations used that useless L3 box to the left hand side for stuff like that (or even telling us what the story airing is about), but it's still more CNN-esque than anything to me.

Archived