The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

I just played it back on my DVR. Kathy actually said that they'd talk more about the set in the weeks to come. Welp, that all but confirms that they're getting an entirely new set.

It's about time. Though it makes you wonder why they went to the trouble of changing the Duratrans around....

Chicago Radio and Media apparently doesn't like the let's get Cheryl Scott into every special phenomenon...

Of course, no WLS-TV local special would be complete without it finding a way to promote its heavily-hyped, newest meteorologist Cheryl Scott.

From their write-up on the Air and Water Show special.

So, since my family and I are out on Sunday mornings, I usually record the Sunday morning news to see Phil Schwarz's weather quiz. I've been doing this for over a decade. I know he releases it on social media, but I'm nostalgic for the classic delivery. Anyway, this morning, I'm watching it back when my mom, who, to this point hadn't really noticed the temporary set, openly stated "wow, this is temporary? Looks better than 'GN".

Your move, Tribune.

So, since my family and I are out on Sunday mornings, I usually record the Sunday morning news to see Phil Schwarz's weather quiz. I've been doing this for over a decade. I know he releases it on social media, but I'm nostalgic for the classic delivery. Anyway, this morning, I'm watching it back when my mom, who, to this point hadn't really noticed the temporary set, openly stated "wow, this is temporary? Looks better than 'GN".

Your move, Tribune.

The temporary set looks like something from 2000... It makes the SSS look new... WGN has a way better set... Not sure where your mom was coming from.

The temporary set looks like something from 2000... It makes the SSS look new... WGN has a way better set... Not sure where your mom was coming from.

I fall in the middle of this argument. WGN's set is better, overall, but I think she was comparing the home bases. 9's anchor backdrop has been looking progressively worse each month, just like how washed out 7's duratrans were in the year or two before they were replaced.

One could also say that, 7's is pretty decent and serviceable knowing that it's only for 3 weeks, while 9's is clearly wearing down, and being used for the foreseeable future. There'd be a certain handicap on the grading scale when comparing the two.

Ouch. I actually don't think that observation was too off-base. Setting the backdrops aside, I think 7's temp desk is better than WGN's. The anchor desk is the biggest problem with 'GN's studio; it looks cheap, messy, and very outdated. IMO, 9 needs a new set way more than 7 does. But, who knows? 7's renovation came out of nowhere, maybe WGN will surprise us soon. What would they use for a temp set... the newsroom? That could get problematic with CLTV... I wonder if that's one issue that's holding them back.

Ouch. I actually don't think that observation was too off-base. Setting the backdrops aside, I think 7's temp desk is better than WGN's. The anchor desk is the biggest problem with 'GN's studio; it looks cheap, messy, and very outdated. IMO, 9 needs a new set way more than 7 does. But, who knows? 7's renovation came out of nowhere, maybe WGN will surprise us soon. What would they use for a temp set... the newsroom? That could get problematic with CLTV... I wonder if that's one issue that's holding them back.

Move to the tower.

In late 2004 when WGN was constructing their current set, they temporarily moved their old desk to a studio next door to the news studio. I don't believe they ever used the newsroom.

Funny thing is, Terrell did it last year, and other reporters before that, and nobody bats an eye.

But did they also appear on both the New Year's Eve and Auto Show specials too? She's 3 for 3 (not counting parades and Cubs broadcasts). It seems unnecessary.

But did they also appear on both the New Year's Eve and Auto Show specials too? She's 3 for 3 (not counting parades and Cubs broadcasts). It seems unnecessary.

I get that they are trying to make her the Chief met (good heavens that frightening) but she's not so good folks are going to tune in just to see her. I don't get 7's obsession with promoting her as they slowly bleed viewers. I think 7 is starting to feel some pain and is trying to respond... I don't think this is the best way to do that though.