New set for Today Show

jtgh922

So with next week's "Great American Adventure," does anyone else think NBC will use this week to gut, or at least make some major tweaks to Studio 1A? Anyone have any inside info? I personally feel every inch of that place needs a makeover, except for the new desk they gave to home base recently. They for sure need a new background behind the anchors, like a skyline and sunrise. I'm sure they could get it all done in a week.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So with next week's "Great American Adventure," does anyone else think NBC will use this week to gut, or at least make some major tweaks to Studio 1A? Anyone have any inside info? I personally feel every inch of that place needs a makeover, except for the new desk they gave to home base recently. They for sure need a new background behind the anchors, like a skyline and sunrise. I'm sure they could get it all done in a week.

If it does happen, it'll probably be done over the summer prior to the start of the new fall season.

A new set still won't come close to addressing the real elephant in the room - that Today is simply two hours too long.

Until they break it up into three different shows - "Today" from 7a-9a, "Later Today" from 9a-10a, and a delayed "Kathie Lee & Hoda" from 11a-12p (with no connection to Today) it's still same-old, same-old.

And I'm not even wanting to broach the talent issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't stare straight at it. You may go blind.

LMAO.

c356cc10ce0111e2af4522000a1f8f13_7.jpg new set coming hm? found on instaghram

but yeah it's a good question. that or they're trying to advertise for some type of segment they have comin' up.

No, but I am wondering why 60 yo alcoholic women (at least that is what they look like in this photo) are in hard hats.

it was for a segment they did yesterday, their whole show was devoted to home improvements.

• 2 weeks later...

A new studio is confirmed. Like in 2006, current production will move to a temporary studio on the plaza for August (and probably a chunk of September) as Studio 1A is given a makeover. According to and NBC suit, "We’re rethinking the plaza experience."

A theme change is not in order, but I wouldn't dismiss graphic changes just yet (adding to or dumping the updates in place).

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/19/business/media/nbc-replaces-veteran-director-of-today.html?_r=0

A new studio is confirmed. Like in 2006, current production will move to a temporary studio on the plaza for August (and probably a chunk of September) as Studio 1A is given a makeover. According to and NBC suit, "We’re rethinking the plaza experience."

A theme change is not in order, but I wouldn't dismiss graphic changes just yet (adding to or dumping the updates in place).

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/19/business/media/nbc-replaces-veteran-director-of-today.html?_r=0

What do you mean that a "theme change is not in order"? Like the overall style of the show or the overall look of the set?

Either way, part of me hopes that they take some cues from CBSTM and New Day and not try to make it look too much like GMA or the rest of MSNBC.

What do you mean that a "theme change is not in order"? Like the overall style of the show or the overall look of the set?

Either way, part of me hopes that they take some cues from CBSTM and New Day and not try to make it look too much like GMA or the rest of MSNBC.

Theme music.

Do we perhaps have any inside information on who's being contracted or whatever and what design it might take? I doubt it and wouldn't think so since they literally just announced it yesterday. I hope it's not TOO modern like though. I'm starting to really like this whole combination of technology, "classic," and pimped up building flat set stuff that we've been seeing recently. (CBSTM and New Day)

Do you think they will keep the window backdrop because GMA uses TV cam back drop and CBS This Morning scrapped the windows all together. I have noticed they move the shades where they do segments to expose the side walk view. They will probably get rid of the news desk because they don't use it anymore.

Do you think they will keep the window backdrop because GMA uses TV cam back drop and CBS This Morning scrapped the windows all together. I have noticed they move the shades where they do segments to expose the side walk view. They will probably get rid of the news desk because they don't use it anymore.

It's possible that they'll keep the windows yet just stop doing the Plaza segments in order to come off as more serious like CBS does. But that's also why I asked if maybe they'll actually physically expand the studio if they do decide to rid of that.

I don't think they will for 2 reasons. One they just spent a ton of money on the new TV facade. Two that would get rid of their only real outdoor space for concerts. GMA doesn't have the luxury and have to go to central park for their concerts and i think today would keep the space for convince. Today's set is not nearly as large as GMA even though they have two floors too. Remember GMA has to full set spaces while Today's upstairs is not very large.

I don't think they will for 2 reasons. One they just spent a ton of money on the new TV facade. Two that would get rid of their only real outdoor space for concerts. GMA doesn't have the luxury and have to go to central park for their concerts and i think today would keep the space for convince. Today's set is not nearly as large as GMA even though they have two floors too. Remember GMA has to full set spaces while Today's upstairs is not very large.

Remember, GMA only uses the 2nd floor for special events. 99% of what they do is on the first floor or outside.

The Today set looks a little dirty (because its so white and light) and has that shade of blue on everything which makes it feel a little dated.

I also don't like the green screen type strip they have in the center of the home base that gives the street a distorted look. It just doesn't look good and feels out of place.

Archived