New set for Today Show

jtgh922

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Al Roker just posted a better shot of the desk. Interesting look, for sure. Must be having rehearsals tonight.

http://instagram.com/p/eTT982QCB3/

I wonder if the sunrise lights up because the desk is pretty plain. I kinda like the "retro"/"throwback" feel though. But CBS This Morning still have the best set in my opinion.

Loving all of the shots of the new set. I think when its all said and done, Today will have the best studio in morning TV. Already have my alarm set for 6:55 even though i don't have to be at work till 10!

I think it's gorgeous.... I'll have a montage on YT by 4 PM for those interested & can't watch live.

Matt Lauer will be in Colorado tomorrow covering the floods. Would have been neat to have the whole team there in the new studio.

I've come to the conclusion that NBC can't do anything right. It's understandable that they want a presence at the flood scene, and frankly, that's more important than a new studio. However, who the hell thought to send Lauer or anyone from the main cast. Lord knows NBC has enough reporters/anchors sprawled out across the country to cover the story. Let's face it, for better or worse, Matt is STILL the face of the franchise, and he won't even be there to pull back the curtain. Even if he's gone next year, this is now and Matt is the centerpiece of the program.

( :puke: )

Because I haven't posted in this thread enough today, and because it is impossible to wait another 7 hours... Here is a another photo just posted to Instagram of the desk: http://instagram.com/p/eTg_LTqC_n/

And that confirms Daybreak's speculation that the sunset on the front of the desk would light up...

Initial impressions...

• Those L3's are huge! They have good bones, but are just a little to large for my taste. Also, one-line L3's just look goofy. For example, take the lead-in from Boulder. Wouldn't it be easier to put the place name under or next to the live bug? Nope, it goes right in the L3.
  • (WXIA only) The time/temp/ticker text is too low to fit inside of the box particularly well.
  • Hey, the names don't appear on screen anymore in the open!
  • That set is gonna take some getting used to. It's so weird that after almost a decade, the presenters aren't sitting in front of the window anymore.

Good Morning America did some updating too, they got a new bigger monitor to do the weather with and they also updated the desk as well. I guess they saw the monitor Al got and wanted to out do them.

Today set is nice but the L3's still need some tweaking. I would say it is weird for NBC to send Matt to Colorado when they could had sent Al or field correspondents. Also Willie could have easily done the Orange room segments. It seem like it wouldn't have added that much of an workload to him.

Set looking warmer with people in it, but Carson Daly needs to go, now. Get the sense he had a contract with NBC with some extra time on it, maybe even a clause for air time, and with Last Call on the rocks someone in corporate is shoe horning him in here to avoid a balloon payment. And it's dismal.

WMC apparently didn't get the memo, their time and temp and ticker are all in the old spot. I do like how the bug on the right changes from the Today logo to NBC. Hopefully they will rotate the desk in the 2nd hour (I'm in CT so I am an hour behind most of you). The open is meh for me.

Hmm watched the first hour of Today and I was actually beginning to like the set the notes saw pictures over the weekend but seeing it on TV it's absolutely hideous. To me just looks like department store night club. It looked like Al's weather board was in the the middle of the studio instead of against a wall or corner. The new graphics remind me a bit of CNN Starting Point.

GMA's new updates are sort of weird too. They've added blue and removed the wood panels that were behind the homebase desk. Sams weather board looks a bit like a space ship.

The general reaction and feedback from viewers on Facebook is overwhelmingly negative, with people vastly preferring the old set. The BIGGEST, biggest complaint is the amount of orange that's being used on set. Orange generally is an awkward color that most people can only take in small doses; it's also rarely used as the primary color of choice for much of anything.

I also saw that one person said "Noooooo Savannah is still there." as if that over the weekend NBC would've decided to fire her. :wacko:

So to me it comes down to this: NBC News/The Today Show REALLY tried hard to create a set that would be more personal and connect with the viewers, while also coming off as professional...but it failed miserably. The show also has four personalities that most people could easily do without, (Hoda, Kathie Lee, Matt Lauer and now it would seem as if Carson Daly has already been rejected) and they still have some format issues.

*sigh*,,, :(

Here is the GMA Update: http://www.newscaststudio.com/2013/09/16/gma-quietly-updates-set-adds-large-monitor/

(Sorry but I didn't want to start a new thread)

Why GMA feels as if they need to put such an emphasis on weather and have a weather center that takes up that much of their set is still beyond my scope of comprehension.

GMA's weather center is too big, but I do like the updates as a whole.

As for Today, I'm not sure. I only saw the first 40 minutes or so, but I'm really liking the set. As for the graphics, I want to like them. There are several elements that look fantastic, namely the bug. However, with everything being so large, I wish they'd letterbox the show. You're not really missing anything on the sides, but it would certainly add some depth or something (you all know what I mean). The open would really benefit from this, because the logos featured are also HUGE. I also wish they'd use the blue full-screens for the whole show, not just an all-but-blank orange background. GMA's L3's match its own package better than Today's and ABC's don't match at all.

It is the first day, and I do think there'll be a few modifications down the line, but like GMA's changes, I like new Today as a whole (even if individual pieces are severely flawed).

I like the set and some of its features a lot.

I thought the graphics were really nice, but the L3s were kinda large. I think they can fix that without issue.

I didn't get to see GMA's updates live, but thought they were great. Although the new weather center is really taking up half the front part of the studio. I think the changes to both shows will stay for a long while...whether the near brain-dead will like it or not.

Speaking of the near brain-dead, didn't they whine and moan for a warmer set for a while?

Archived