New set for Today Show

jtgh922

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to add on about GMA the windows where they normally do one on one guest interviews is now a screen with a live cam feed of New York from WABC. Would be neat to see a different city every morning. The window behind Sams weather center is still an actual window. A news ticker is now part of the set as well as is a lot more blue.

Taking a picture at the right angle can make a person look beautiful. The same can be said for a television news set. The photos released last week by NBC and television critics who previewed the new Studio 1A showed a stunning, new, modern living room set. The lighting was perfect and the angles were just right to make a person like me gush over it. Now that we've had a chance to see it put to use on live TV - the equivalent of meeting that beautiful photo subject in peron - we get a completely different look. And it's not pretty.

The news desk looks like an antique table that was brought out of my grandparents' attic but not restored. The overall look reminds me of walking into a Raymour & Flanagan furniture warehouse. In this case, two names do say it all: outdated and ugly.

I've tried. I really have...I do not like it at all. I feel it is way too dark, and it isn't sleek like the previous set. I actually liked the previous set. The desk they are at in that open, it is WAY too small, and I do not like the CBS This Morning feel. If I wanted CBS This Morning, by golly, I would turn to CBS. It just seems to be a major step down, I was hoping for something a bit better from NBC. This is not what I expected.

Seems like the haters are out in full force Today! That set is far and away the BEST set Today has ever had since the living room set of the 1980s, which they clearly wanted to pay tribute to with the current look! Graphics are amazing and the new open is strong and powerful. NBC has outdone themselves. Studio 1A finally looks like the home of a morning show!

What do the lower thirds look like on stations that don't use a ticker? WECT uses one so it looks like it should, but WAVY doesn't. Is the background for it there but no ticker, or no background, just bug/time/temp?

They look dumb is what they look like. WTMJ has not used a ticker during Today for as long as I can remember, so there's just a big grey bar stuck to the bottom of the screen.

I wonder if it's really that hard to put the ticker background into the Namedropper, so stations that don't use one don't have to deal with the grey bar.

Screen Shot 2013 09 16 At 7.46.57 PM

They look dumb is what they look like. WTMJ has not used a ticker during Today for as long as I can remember, so there's just a big grey bar stuck to the bottom of the screen.

I wonder if it's really that hard to put the ticker background into the Namedropper, so stations that don't use one don't have to deal with the grey bar.

http://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?/gallery/image/385-desk-in-front-of-windows-2/

What the hell is going on behind Al? It looks like the picture dropped!

Here is a montage of the graphics and set. It includes all of hour 1, and the beginning of hour 2. Wasn't able to get 3 or 4 due to breaking coverage from WRC. I wouldn't be surprised if it is modified over the next few weeks. Interestingly, Hoda & Kathie Lee were not allowed in studio for the 4th hour because they were working on it again. Maybe they are already modifying things? The graphics are a huge improvement and in my opinion, so is the set!

I've come to the conclusion that NBC can't do anything right. It's understandable that they want a presence at the flood scene, and frankly, that's more important than a new studio. However, who the hell thought to send Lauer or anyone from the main cast. Lord knows NBC has enough reporters/anchors sprawled out across the country to cover the story. Let's face it, for better or worse, Matt is STILL the face of the franchise, and he won't even be there to pull back the curtain. Even if he's gone next year, this is now and Matt is the centerpiece of the program.

( :puke: )

I completely agree. GMA did it right and sent Sam but to have the face of the Today show gone on the first day was a huge mistake.

I completely agree. GMA did it right and sent Sam but to have the face of the Today show gone on the first day was a huge mistake.

Some of the criticism I saw even well before the debut was that Today should be focusing on content, not a hyped set reveal, to improve its declining fortunes. Perhaps this was a move to respond to that - that a major overhaul wouldn't overshadow the actual news even for its primary anchor? And now for day 2 it appears they have Natalie Morales scheduled to anchor from DC, not as significant as sending either Matt or Savannah but it means another day without 100% of the main team at the new studio.

As far as my thoughts on the set itself, I didn't get a chance to watch a ton of it this morning, but I'm not as negative as several here (or overall). Still I do think it's a bit too much orange which hopefully they will try and tone down. I like the base elements of the graphics quite a bit but the L3s do need some tweaking.

Some of the criticism I saw even well before the debut was that Today should be focusing on content, not a hyped set reveal, to improve its declining fortunes. Perhaps this was a move to respond to that - that a major overhaul wouldn't overshadow the actual news even for its primary anchor? And now for day 2 it appears they have Natalie Morales scheduled to anchor from DC, not as significant as sending either Matt or Savannah but it means another day without 100% of the main team at the new studio.

As far as my thoughts on the set itself, I didn't get a chance to watch a ton of it this morning, but I'm not as negative as several here (or overall). Still I do think it's a bit too much orange which hopefully they will try and tone down. I like the base elements of the graphics quite a bit but the L3s do need some tweaking.

Was just going to comment that NatMo is going to DC tomorrow. Broader focus on news?

Here is a montage of the graphics and set. It includes all of hour 1, and the beginning of hour 2. Wasn't able to get 3 or 4 due to breaking coverage from WRC. I wouldn't be surprised if it is modified over the next few weeks. Interestingly, Hoda & Kathie Lee were not allowed in studio for the 4th hour because they were working on it again. Maybe they are already modifying things? The graphics are a huge improvement and in my opinion, so is the set!

Kathie Lee and Hoda weren't in the studio because the 7-9 team was updating for the west coast due to breaking news.

WJAC only does a ticker for the first half hour. Sometimes they'll do it for the entire first, sometimes even the second and third. However, I have never seen a ticker during the fourth hour. WJAC airs the fourth hour at 1:00 due to them also airing Live at 10:00. I was wondering if there are other stations that didn't use the ticker.

Regarding the set... I love it. I love almost everything about it. It feels very informal and that's good. I feel welcomed. It looks like I'm in their living room and they're talking to me. It may be dark, per se, but there are very warm colors used. It screams "October!" Nonetheless, it's definitely an update.

I like the new set a lot but I think they need to do something about that screen behind the desk. It's not fooling anyone... probably just confusing them. Would make more sense for them to change that shot to be some sort of graphic.

I think this set sends a visible signal to the audience that Today will make their program better in their own way and in their own philosophy... Unfortunately that will take time but I think they are positioning themselves to be a solid morning program first before they can aim for # 1 again, and they have made strides of doing so within these past few months. They still have ways to go though.

Impressions about the set:

- The opening graphics fit the music much better. I like it.

- The logo and time and tickers were fine to me until the L3s with the blue comes in... too "boxy" and "bulky" to look at

- The showing of the sunrise before station breaks reminds me of CBS This Morning... but I was just watching a Today show clip from 1990, when they debuted their new set... very similar when it comes to the design and color

- Desk reminded me of that time (1990 set)... although for the four of them, it's too big

- I know they wanted a room dedicated for the show's tech social interaction with viewers, but the Orange room is too cramped to look at.

- Having the rotating desk (I guess thats why its so huge) gave shots during the first two hours when handling the news a warmer delivery.

- I have to admit that the use of orange was a bit excessive but I think they really wanted it to be different from their old set that was for the most part, white.

Archived