KCOP is cancelling its newscasts

CircleSeven

This marks the end of an era for Channel 13. It looks now that KCOP is on its way to either being sold or dead.

TVSpy is posting that KCOP will end its 7pm & 11pm newscasts this September.

The 7pm show will end on Friday, the 20th. The 11pm show will end on Sunday, the 22nd.

The Simpsons & The King Of Queens will occupy the 11pm slot on channel 13.

This article from 2009, you might say, has summed up the direction of the station quite nicely.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/oct/09/entertainment/et-onthemedia9

It's a travesty what has become of KCOP, the station is practically non-existent, and the only reason they had news to begin with is to keep their FCC license. The station briefly didn't have a website, doesn't have local sports or public affairs programming and is difficult to obtain for some viewers without cable or satellite, especially since the DTV switch. The station holds on because of repeats of Seinfeld and, now, the Simpsons, but it won't be longer before the FCC :confused: starts cracking on these station parkers.

If WWOR loses its license, KCOP is gone. At this point, they're better off being a digital subchannel on KTTV.

Sad indeed that they are eliminating news on KCOP. I was thinking they might take some of the resources that were working on the 7pm and 11pm newscasts and put them towards a 6pm newscast on FOX 11 or even an 11pm newscast on FOX 11. I know several markets on the east coast that have an 11pm newscast branded as "NewsEdge." Something to think about

My thinking is that Fox has acquire many new syndicated programs like Modern Family & The Middle, thus moving The Simpsons (which I think this is sacrilegious for Fox to move it to the MyNet channel) to KCOP, I think the station didn't have much room, and know how low-rated the station's newscast was anyway, I think they decided to let go of those newscast and place those syndie shows from Fox 11 and move it to KCOP.

I hope Fox doesn't move The Simpsons repeats to WPWR. :mad:

This article from 2009, you might say, has summed up the direction of the station quite nicely.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/oct/09/entertainment/et-onthemedia9

It's a travesty what has become of KCOP, the station is practically non-existent, and the only reason they had news to begin with is to keep their FCC license. The station briefly didn't have a website, doesn't have local sports or public affairs programming and is difficult to obtain for some viewers without cable or satellite, especially since the DTV switch. The station holds on because of repeats of Seinfeld and, now, the Simpsons, but it won't be longer before the FCC :confused: starts cracking on these station parkers.

If WWOR loses its license, KCOP is gone. At this point, they're better off being a digital subchannel on KTTV.

Huh? Since when is providing a newscast a condition of licence? The only station that has a condition anywhere close to that placed on it is WWOR. Their condition is that they provide "Service to New Jersey". To the best of my knowledge that was loosly defined as simply "covering events taking place in New Jersey". So, they don't even specifically need to provide a newscast, per se. I explained here (along with others in that thread) that the chances of WWOR losing it's license are slim to none. Not sure why you think the FCC is going to crack down on legally licenced duopoies. And, KCOP isn't going anywhere.

All the other MNT O&O's that had newscasts have had them cancelled over the last several years. The reason the KCOP newscast was even kept around this long is because KCOP is in market #2 and it was still able to be somewhat profitable. Being an also-ran in any market is only going to get you so far. The LA market is HUGE with several choices for news content. This doen't even take into the sources on the internet or cable people now use for finding out about current events. So, after awhile you start to reach a point of diminishing returns.

I brought this up here and here. But, I tend to think Fox is going to eventually try going the "Non-traditional" route for news programming on the MNT O&O's. If you are drawing a small audience to your newscast why not create something different that targets a niche? The number of viewers might stay the same but, you are focusing on a specific demo. It's potentially an eaiser sell to advertisers. And, allows you to create a unique brand or identity versus just being another "attack of the clones". If they can focus all their "traditional" news efforts on the Fox O&O's while experimenting with something different on the MNT O&O's, why is that a bad thing?

Yes, I know syndicated programming is replacing the newscasts on KCOP. But, I think something "non-traditional" will eventually work it's way back into the KCOP lineup.

My thinking is that Fox has acquire many new syndicated programs like Modern Family & The Middle, thus moving The Simpsons (which I think this is sacrilegious for Fox to move it to the MyNet channel) to KCOP, I think the station didn't have much room, and know how low-rated the station's newscast was anyway, I think they decided to let go of those newscast and place those syndie shows from Fox 11 and move it to KCOP.

This is venturing OT. But, The Simpsons are on the MNT station here. Although, that is a vestage of the syndication deal made back when WFTC was the Fox affiliate. I'm kinda surprised they are moving (or, even allowed to move) The Simpsons off KTTV due to the exclusive syndication deal. Speculation on my part but, it kinda makes me think something is up with regard to these exclusive syndication deals. Fox has been looking to cash in on cable syndication rights for years. From the article: "With the company now mulling a cable sale, it's unclear what has changed. There has been speculation that The Simpsons might end after next year's 25th season, which would mean the iron-clad exclusive deal with stations would change. Or perhaps Twentieth has found a way to alter the existing broadcast-syndication deal with TV stations and finally add cable to the mix." Syndicated re-runs of The Simpsons are currently on hiatus on Fox owned KRIV & WFTC. Coupled now with the move from KTTV it makes me think that the latter portion of that quote might be true and they somehow are reworking the contracts. Hmmm... :huh:

KTTV and KCOP are the same operation, so it's possible that KCOP inherited the ability to run The Simpsons when Fox bought it.

It would be nice if Fox made the MNT O&Os useful. I abhor "station parking".

My feeling is the same as CircleSeven. KTTV is getting new syndicated programming and shifting older syndicated programming to KCOP. KTTV and KCOP have already been doing this for years now. If a syndicated program is not doing well in ratings on KTTV, it gets shifted to KCOP. In many cases, syndicated programs are running on both stations (different times of course) such as The Office, Big Bang Theory, Dish Nation, TMZ, and Anderson. My feeling is that the newscasts which used the Fox News branding for years now were hardly watched and profitability was low if at all profitable.

Even when news gets pretty low numbers, chances are it was still turning a profit. I doubt the 7pm and 11pm half-hours required that much support staff (I wouldn't be surprised if the 5pm newscast producer also did the 7pm, ditto with the 10pm producer and the 11pm) so it wouldn't take much in terms of ad buys to keep it around. There's a reason why here in SF, KGO still produces a 9pm show on KOFY, and KRON is still producing news. Which leads me to...

They could have went the KGO Route and rebroadcast their newscasts like they do at 7pm and 9pm on KOFY.

Not to be "that guy," but the 9pm newscast KGO produces on KOFY is actually live. Yes, the content is mostly a rerack from the 6pm show on KGO, but it's a live show.

The 7pm is indeed a rebroadcast of the 6pm show.

KTTV and KCOP are the same operation, so it's possible that KCOP inherited the ability to run The Simpsons when Fox bought it.

It would be nice if Fox made the MNT O&Os useful. I abhor "station parking".

Not to be combative or start an argument. But, What do you define as "useful"? You may not like (or approve) of the programming they show but, there are people that do. One persons trash is another persons treasure. Sure, If I were in charge I'd probably run them differently, too. That said they run them like old school independent stations now. So, I don't see the big deal in how they are currently run.

Not sure if that question has been asked, but how come the 7 and 11 p.m. newscasts aren't just being moved to KTTV, like what was done in '05 in the Twin Cities, when WFTC dropped its 10 p.m. news and KMSP "inherited" it?

KMSP really didn't "inherit" the newscast, per se so much as regain it. KMSP had a 10pm newscast that they started in the mid/late 90's. WFTC started their 9pm newscast in April of 2001 under Clear Channel ownership. The 9pm newscasts on both KMSP & WFTC briefly ran concurrently under Fox ownership during the transition in 2002. The transition was complete and the affiliation switch took place in September of 2002. At that time the decision was made to cancel KMSP's 10pm newscast and move WFTC's newscast into the 10pm slot. This lasted until June of 2006 when WFTC cancelled the 10pm. KMSP took over the 10pm slot once again later that summer. Sorry for the quick history lesson.

Anyway, I expect KTTV to pick up the 11pm slot somewhere down the road. The 11pm (ET/PT) or 10pm (CT/MT) is one of the time slots Fox wants to grow local news into by 2014 for markets that don't have it. Basically the same thing they did focusing on the evening 6/5pm slots a few years back. And, ditto on the more recent focus of the past couple years, the 4:30-5am slot. The 7pm will just fall by the wayside though.

There isn't really anything wrong with being a vessel for syndicated shows per se, it's just that duopolies involving CW or MNT stations tend be have that station bear the brunt of wasted potential. They don't usually do anything interesting with them. There probably isn't enough money in that, though.

I never really cared for the newcasts on KCOP 13 so I don't care much for it's loss. I hope this actually forces Fox 11 to include more news instead of those stupid specials which they've been airing as of late. It's sad to see The Simpsons go away from Fox 11 but it's the end of an era and things have to end sometime.

This does make KCOP 13 into a pitiful afterran but hopefully they could put one of their new Chasing series which has proven to be somewhat successful in NJ.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, based on looking at WFLD & WPWR latest guide listings, it appears on Sept. 23, The Simpsons repeats will be aired on both Fox 32 & My 50.

The Simpsons will stay on its longtime 6pm timeslot on 32, but Modern Family will be aired at 6:30pm. WPWR will air one hour of The Simpsons after primetime at 9pm (right parallel to WFLD's newscasts). So this is the third O&O this season to air the Simpsons' repeats on Fox's second channel. At least they haven't drop the repeat entirely on 32. It really makes me wonder if in the near future, Fox might end up getting rid of the syndie repeats entirely OTA, as Fox continues to push the syndie repeats, shopping it towards the cable networks. I hope they don't get rid of the syndie repeats, but with all these moves to the MyNet channel, that's a lovely way to get rid of a show.

TVSpy is posting that KCOP will end its 7pm & 11pm newscasts this September.

The 7pm show will end on Friday, the 20th. The 11pm show will end on Sunday, the 22nd.

The Simpsons & The King Of Queens will occupy the 11pm slot on channel 13.

The Simpsons will occupy the 7-8 pm slots, King of Queens 11 pm-12 Midnight slots.

The Simpsons will occupy the 7-8 pm slots, King of Queens 11 pm-12 Midnight slots.

That seems like a better time slot for the Simpsons, right where their newscast was. But I still use to the Simpsons repeats on the Fox side, and not on the MyNetworkTV. But as I explained above, I think Fox really want to push the repeats to cable syndication, and put newer off-net sitcoms in its place. By contract, the OTA syndie repeats can't end until the program ends, and it seems like they're going to make another deal that could go past their monumental 25th season.

Maybe off-hour newscasts should be considered? For example, a midnight newscast (for those who work or are out super-late) or an 8 pm newscast (those who want something different in prime time)?

Never heard of a midnight newscast. Wonder if one has ever been tried? As for 8 PM, KCAL 9 offers one, except during their Dodgers telecasts.

Maybe off-hour newscasts should be considered? For example, a midnight newscast (for those who work or are out super-late) or an 8 pm newscast (those who want something different in prime time)?

KTTV unsuccessfully tried this in 87.

Archived