Champion Leaving GMA/ABC For TWC; Zee Promoted

24994J

In a somewhat surprising move, Sam Champion, weather anchor/editor for GMA and ABC News is leaving the network for a role as managing editor of and future morning host on the Weather Channel. He's the #1 morning show's first major departure in over 2 years. His last show will be Wednesday, and weekend meteorologist Ginger Zee will fill Champion's roles, effectively immediately. In her own contract negotiations, anchor Robin Roberts is reportedly close to the new deal with the network. Champion's exit will likely free up some cash to spend on Josh Elliott and Lara Spencer, both of whom are reportedly seeking a larger role at the network (and likely a larger check).

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/sam-champion-leaving-abc-for-the-weather-channel_b204906#more-204906

Has anyone noticed that he is not actually a meteorologist yet? Small detail...

He's still not a meteorologist? I remember this from his WABC days! Why do I have the feeling that Champions ego played a role in the break down of negotiations between he and the execs..

A friend worked closely with him some years back....I would say it is beyond ego and simply bordering on mental illness.

I remember when WABC would have promos showing him ripping out the radar reports as soon as they were printed and studying them with a furrowed brow. They probably slipped in an Abercrombie catalog so he could pretend to look interested.

A friend worked closely with him some years back....I would say it is beyond ego and simply bordering on mental illness.

I remember when WABC would have promos showing him ripping out the radar reports as soon as they were printed and studying them with a furrowed brow. They probably slipped in an Abercrombie catalog so he could pretend to look interested.

So are you saying the beloved weatherman that people love is really a diva or divo behind close doors. From the reports were hear is ABC & WABC loved Sam.....ok what gives??? Sound like there more behind the story.

So are you saying the beloved weatherman that people love is really a diva or divo behind close doors. From the reports were hear is ABC & WABC loved Sam.....ok what gives??? Sound like there more behind the story.

Everybody hates somebody. Somebody hates everybody.

So is there going to be a mix of Al Roker and Sam Champion or is Al done at TWC?

The way i'm reading it is Al will still be at the TWC, Sam's new program will air in the current "Morning Rush" 7-10a timeslot or whatever that's show is called. So likely Maria, Stephanie and Mike will be displaced unless Maria stays on with Sam's program and Mike and Stephanie do the early 5 - 7a slot.

This is the funniest thing I've heard in weeks... and likely true! Thank you.

His diva bahavior is pretty well known. Check the archives for Charles Perez's autobio...normally I would say "there are two sides" but from what my friend who worked with him has told me, it is pretty consistant with what is exprected of Sam the Tantrum-throwing Champion.

Ginger will be prefect on GMA weekday. I have to wonder if they may take Amy Freeze to do GMA weekends. She seems like a great candidate to do it.

I agree. I remember when she was in Philly and she was great!

Ginger will be prefect on GMA weekday. I have to wonder if they may take Amy Freeze to do GMA weekends. She seems like a great candidate to do it.

Damn, I keep forgetting that former Chicago people are running ABC lately. Zee, Paula Faris, and Alex Perez (WMAQ) at the network, Freeze (WFLD) at WABC, Chris Sowers (WFLD) at WPVI, and Don Schwenneker (WBBM) at WTVD, all making their Windy City exit within about 18 months of each other.

I don't know if we should be proud or be wondering what we did wrong?

Damn, I keep forgetting that former Chicago people are running ABC lately. Zee, Paula Faris, and Alex Perez (WMAQ) at the network, Freeze (WFLD) at WABC, Chris Sowers (WFLD) at WPVI, and Don Schwenneker (WBBM) at WTVD, all making their Windy City exit within about 18 months of each other.

I don't know if we should be proud or be wondering what we did wrong?

I think you should be proud. Each and every one you mentioned has has tremendous success after leaving Chicago for their ABC positions. Especially Ginger and Paula at the main network. What you did wrong is wondering what you did wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

It was a very nice send off today. Definitely no Ann Curry sign off...

THANKS for freshly putting that back in my mind. I REALLY needed to remember what that was...

Ginger Zee is engaged to WNBC lifestyle/features reporter Ben Aaron. Talk about an odd coupling...

How is that odd? I heard of many professionals in the TV industry get married. and they were from different networks; although some would go to the one network eventually. Yes, it seems that way, but how?

Archived