David Letterman to retire in 2015

MorningNews

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going through the list of hosts and options...

CBS News "Nightwatch"

Just combing through a name in the CBS Archives that would suit such a show, and Nightwatch came up. Much as we'd all like to go back to the days when Ted Koppel was doing Nightline, the fact is that the demos and advertisers would much, much rather have an entertainment show in that spot.

CraigyFerg

Again, contract gives him first dibs, but I think he's best at 12:35 and I think he stays there. He will have to change all of the things that make his show so great. I'm not saying I'd mind him at 11:35, I would watch, but he'd have to do a radically different show.

Stephen Colbert

Why he's on the list is beyond me because he plays a character. That wouldn't be an option if he went to CBS at 11:35. Would people want to watch Stephen Col-BERT and not Stephen Col-BAIR?

Jon Stewart

There are some shows where, even though the talent is known to be great and may even be a proven talent, the talent reaches new heights because of the show he's on. That the two are one in the same. I'm talking Bob Barker on Price is Right, Trebek on Jeopardy, and Sajak with Wheel of Fortune. I think Stewart's perfect vehicle is The Daily Show, which performs a vital function in the media landscape - criticism of the cable news channels.

Chelsea Handler

Hot rising star who's leaving her show because she dislikes the network she's on. Could get a lot of interest and would be a selling point as "first lady in broadcast late night".

Conan

Probably the most compatible pick, I think. Same kind of weird humor that Letterman had at his peak. Thing is, he carries the stigma of not being able to get his version of the Tonight Show through a full year. It's absolutely unfair to him, just as the whole "Jay pushed Conan out" theory is unfair to Jay.

Drew Carey

I haven't seen the host swap, but putting him on a late night show is not a stretch by any means. Plus, it'd have the VERY pleasant side effect of getting him off of Price is Right, where he still makes hosting mistakes that bother me. Only thing is, Drew Carey would be more of a Jay Leno, middle-of-the-road type.

John Oliver

Not sure how long his deal with HBO runs, but he was very hot coming off of his Daily Show substitute run.

Leno

WHY ARE WE EVEN BRINGING HIM UP

Tina Fey

Why not? I can see her kicking some serious ass as a late night host. She has her SNL experience, she's extremely talented, and could probably hold her own on the guest segments.

Neil Patrick Harris

infinite-yes-daniel-bryan.gif

I honestly think that Arsenio Hall may take over. Remember his show is distributed by CBS. Wayne Brady may also be a possibility. Just throwing them out there...

Arsenio has said in the past that he has a really good relationship/friendship with Les Moonves. So it's not out of the question. However, his current late night show is seriously lacking. The jokes are not that funny, and some of the bookings are pretty lame, but he really is a funny guy. Maybe having a solid network to prop him up (with a bigger budget and a good timeslot) will help a show like his get more viewers. Plus, he is renewed for a second season in syndication and that should end in mid-2015...

If they really want to think out of the box, I would not mind seeing Tina Fey getting a shot, even better if they can pair her and Amy Poehler together.

Chelsea Handler

Hot rising star who's leaving her show because she dislikes the network she's on. Could get a lot of interest and would be a selling point as "first lady in broadcast late night".

But would Chelsea be able to tone down her act for a broadcast network? Unless they have her in mind for "Late Late..."

If they really want to think out of the box, I would not mind seeing Tina Fey getting a shot, even better if they can pair her and Amy Poehler together.

please I hope not, would be like the late-night version of Hoda and Kathie Lee...

I saw Drew's spot on 'TLLS', and to be polite, it's not a good idea. Don't get me wrong, he was kinda nervous and it was only once, but he would get eaten alive at 11:35. If Craig moved up to Dave's spot (which I would rather not see), maybe a case could be made for Drew, but he is in NO position to handle the primary slot.

Why not Joel McHale? He hosts the only other show on E! that is watchable in 'The Soup', is young enough, could easily do a show that is mass appeal (no offense to Chelsea, but Uganda be kidding me), and doesn't have the stigma of hosting "Tonight" for less than a year before getting sacked. And he's already somewhat known with "Community."

Arsenio? Sinbad? Magic Johnson? Rush Limbaugh? Pat Sajak? Kenan Ivory Wayans? Chris Tucker? Alan Thicke? Chevy Chase? Joan Rivers?

Arsenio might be the only person on that list with even a remote chance of getting the nod, but -- and I don't want to sound racist or anything -- he's going to have to target a broader audience.

Chris Tucker?

You mean Chris Spencer (who was Vibe's first host before Sinbad)?

And in the early '90s, Jane Whitney had a topical talk show which aired on late nights in most markets.

But let's think outside the box: What about...

Adam Carolla

Colin Quinn

Norm MacDonald (who once spoofed Letterman on SNL)

Chris Hardwick

Wayne Brady (to go along with his day job on Let's Make A Deal)

George Lopez (in his return to late night)

Brooke Burke-Charvet

Carrie Keagan?

Arsenio? Sinbad? Magic Johnson? Rush Limbaugh? Pat Sajak? Kenan Ivory Wayans? Chris Tucker? Alan Thicke? Chevy Chase? Joan Rivers?

If we are talking about the Rush Limbuagh of 25 years ago, the Chevy Chase of 30 years ago, or the Joan Rivers of 40 years ago... then it's not that bad a list.

Robin Thicke would have a more realistic shot that Alan.

Hell, why not Rick Dees?

Guest Former Member 207

Arsenio's getting long in the tooth age-wise as well...he recently turned 58--not sure if CBS wants to go with another "old" guy in the 11:35 slot. His show, at least in my opinion, has gotten slightly better but still lacks something. I do agree a few posts regarding his guest list (the quality of them)--take for example last night's episode: rapper/actor T.I., MMA star-turned-actress Gina Carano, and some comedian named "K-Dub". I've always liked T.I., and his VH1 show (besides their music documentaries) is the only show on that network I can stomach...he has a very underrated wit about him. Meanwhile, Arsenio (not always known as a great interviewer, even back in the day) tried his best get something out of Carano; she appeared a little too nervous and uncomfortable, and just wasn't a good segment. As for as the comedian, I'll give Arsenio some credit for trying to spotlight some rather-unknown talent...K-Dub's act started out corny but ended pretty decently.

I guess my point in all of this is that while the quality of guests do matter when attracting an audience, you have to have the RIGHT guests. Even watching a lot of the "A-list" talent on these talk shows, they (for the most part) don't say a whole hell of a lot, and just lack some sort of gravitas/personality. B/C-list stars, because they can be somewhat quirky and can reasonably be themselves, often make the best guests IMO. Hell, not everyone on the Carson-era Tonight Show was an "A-list" star...people like Don Rickles and Joan Rivers weren't exactly superstars, but they still provided entertaining moments.

Personally, I'm crossing my fingers Arsenio doesn't get the spot. He really annoys me and his jokes aren't funny. Letterman had a certain style in him that made him funny and clean. I've also noticed that Letterman's show is PG and all of the other late night shows were PG-13 (not that I have a problem with PG-13 shows, just saying.). I thought Arsenio's ratings were in the toilet last time I checked. I think he would be horrible for that spot. The only thing Arsenio does good with is interviews, he is a very good interviewer. Otherwise, if CBS doesn't want its viewers switching to Kimmel or Fallon, they should get someone who is better than Arsenio. And I live in New York, so Arsenio would be on PIX (they are moving the show to 11:30 starting Monday) and CBS at practically the same time? I'm sorry for all the Arsenio lovers out there, but I REALLY hope he doesn't get the job.

TV is TV-G, TV-Y, TV-Y7, TV-PG, TV14 and TV-MA

Movies are G, PG, PG13, R and NC17

Letterman is PG, but that seems incorrect, I can't imagine he is that clean. But then the other shows aren't exactly that dirty.

TV Guide, which is owned by CBS, did a top ten list (ugh I had to say that) on candidates to replace Dave.

Usual suspects are in there (including Leno, which they put at 10 "because they had to"). Ferguson's in 9th place and it does include his own quotes on how his humor won't work at 11:35. Then there's Stewart, Colbert, Conan, Arsenio. For some reason they put Anderson Cooper in there. Err, no. Louie C.K. is another one who keeps floating around.

The article has two interesting choices, one at #1 and one at #3.

Their #1 pick is simply "A Woman", because it's simply time for one. If we can have a female solo evening news anchor, we can have a female solo late night host. Handler, Fey, Poehler, and Ellen are mentioned as well as Wanda Sykes and Amy Schumer. I'd personally pick Tina Fey, but Ellen would actually work. She is funny, her daytime show is actually pretty good, she's great with guests... she would translate well.

#3 is interesting: Bob Saget. Yes, Bob "America's Funniest Home Videos" Saget. (And How I Met Your Mother's Bob Saget, too, might as well.) He seems safe, vanilla, Lenoish.

And then you go and watch his stand-up act, where literally every other word is "fuck".

Yeah. He'd have to clean up his act significantly but if he lets a little bit of that anti-Danny Tanner edge out...

Someone mentioned earlier that Colbert might not work as he's tied to a character, causing the politics to get in the way, and that Stewart would be a better choice. I think his character is what makes him a far better candidate than Stewart. Should Colbert step out from the character (which he has done many times, still maintaining comedic integrity), he can ditch the politics more readily than Stewart. Jon's facade has always been Jon being Jon. He gets just as political, but without a character, there would be a bigger potential conflict shifting away from a news desk to a couch.

But, if all else fails...

[yt]2pqaYrVLd2M[/yt]

The idea that moving Craig to the Late Show would result in him being forced to "tone it down" is a thought stuck in the previous era of Late Night TV. Conan was forced to tone it down due to NBC fearing that he'd alienate the older audience who liked Leno and could just jump to the other old man on at that time, Letterman.

ABC fired the first shot by moving Kimmel to an earlier slot. The war over attracting a younger audience is on. Fallon is doing a great job at this. I think Ferguson could do the same if given the chance.

Even if Craig doesn't take it, I do not expect "more of the same" from whoever replaces Letterman.

Archived