David Letterman to retire in 2015

MorningNews

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before we do "Leno to CBS" - which isn't gonna happen because Letterman owns his show fully - I will cite this pertinent passage from Bill Carter's The War For Late Night.

Attention and better ratings followed, and then came a deal from CBS—one no other late-night host, first at NBC and now at CBS, had ever had. Ferguson won a guarantee that he would be the successor to David Letterman, should there ever—heaven forbid—be a sudden need for a new host of Late Show. It wasn’t anything like a five-year ticket to the big chair, but it was the CBS version of the Prince of Wales clause. Or in this case maybe, the Prince of Scots.

Carter, Bill (2010-11-04). The War for Late Night: When Leno Went Early and Television Went Crazy (Kindle Locations 2522-2525). Penguin Group. Kindle Edition.

There's no murky five-year plan or anything. Ferguson's contract has a guarantee that he's next in line. Whether that happens, I don't know - Ferguson's happy at 12:35. I'd rather him stay there, because he'd have to adjust his act even more than Conan had to.

The main thing here is, if Dave's saying he's retiring... then it's absolutely his choice and not CBS'. And he means it. He won't pull a Jay and start complaining about being forced out. (Even though I think the Conan-Leno debacle was entirely the fault of NBC and not Jay.)

Craig? Seriously?

He has right of first refusal. Doesn't mean he'll take it, doesn't even mean he wants it, but he gets first dibs. It's the "Prince of Wales" clause. It's significant because Craig is the first person, either at NBC or CBS, to have specific language in his contract about moving to 11:35 should that slot become vacant.

If Craig says no, then I'd be looking to see when Conan's contract is up with Turner. And if that doesn't pan out they should do guest hosts one night a week (instead of the taped-on-Monday Friday show).

Been there, and done that, but then again, if Arsenio Hall can make a comeback to late nights, why not Pat Sajak?

He would need a new sidekick, though, since Dan Miller died a few years ago.

Trebek. Constantly correcting him.

The way CBS has gone recently, I wouldn't be surprised if they started a news show like Nightline.

Let the record show, I made this suggestion a few months ago (I just have to find it). Move Craig up to 12:05, thus promoting him, but keeping him at a late enough hour that he can still be himself.

The way CBS has gone recently, I wouldn't be surprised if they started a news show like Nightline.

If they do, let it be a hard-news show and not the fluff fest that Nightline has become.

As far as Craig, I believe he wants to stay at 12:35 but if CBS can convince him to move up a half-hour without neuterong him then I believe he will be very successful.

Conan's contract with TBS runs through November 2015, so technically CoCo could be an option.

But would TBS let him break his contract, or force him to honor it? (ABC forced Johnny Carson to host "Who Do You Trust?" for the last six months of his contract in 1962, subsequently forcing NBC to have rotating guest hosts for "Tonight" during the Parr-Carson interregnum.)

Actually, I'm surprised that no one has considered Stephen Colbert as a dark horse. Not his Bill O'Reilly parody that he's portrayed for nine years, but the actual Stephen Colbert. Of course, he's in a bit of a bind right now with his 'Colbert Report' Twitter account controversy, but taking over for Dave would be a chance at a fresh start.

Conan's contract with TBS runs through November 2015, so technically CoCo could be an option.

But would TBS let him break his contract, or force him to honor it? (ABC forced Johnny Carson to host "Who Do You Trust?" for the last six months of his contract in 1962, subsequently forcing NBC to have rotating guest hosts for "Tonight" during the Parr-Carson interregnum.)

Actually, I'm surprised that no one has considered Stephen Colbert as a dark horse. Not his Bill O'Reilly parody that he's portrayed for nine years, but the actual Stephen Colbert. Of course, he's in a bit of a bind right now with his 'Colbert Report' Twitter account controversy, but taking over for Dave would be a chance at a fresh start.

I actually wouldn't mind Stephen Colbert because I do like his 'Colbert Report' but if CBS decides to replace one unfunny hack (Dave) with another (Conan), then late nights for me will be doomed.

What about Jerry Seinfeld? He is very well known and is Crackle Show where he interviews stars while getting coffee in cars or something is pretty well known. He would be able to reach an older demographic but not too old. He would probably get the demo that watched his show.

I seriously doubt Colbert would even be considered as it would be to jarring for his fans to see him out of parody - I can't remember a time when I've seen him out of character.

There's no murky five-year plan or anything. Ferguson's contract has a guarantee that he's next in line. Whether that happens, I don't know - Ferguson's happy at 12:35. I'd rather him stay there, because he'd have to adjust his act even more than Conan had to.

I agree. Ferguson was made for the 12:35 slot. His show is even raunchier than even Conan's was and I think he would have a hard time trying to tame himself for a 11:35 audience. I hope he stays where he is.

Here's an odd thought.

Back on Monday, Craig and Drew Carey swapped hosting duties for an April Fool's gag - with Craig helming TPiR, and Drew hosting "Late Late."

What's to say that it was more than just a stunt... that Drew may have been de facto auditioning for either "The Late Show" or "Late Late?" As Pat Sajak proved, it's not impossible for someone to host both a daytime game show and a late night show simultaneously. As both have been longtime friends (Craig got his stateside breakthrough on Drew's old ABC sitcom) Drew should also presumably have Craig's backing if Craig declines the 11:30 slot.

It does make me wonder, because Letterman announced his retirement two days after that stunt.

I'd like to see Jon Stewart take Dave's spot. Jon is only 51 and he could probably do a good 15-20 years at the show.

I agree it would make sense for Stewart to go to CBS and take the late night gig. He's very popular among the young crowd and his show on Comedy Central has done well. stephen Colbert will do well if he becomes the face of comedy central.

Archived