David Letterman to retire in 2015

MorningNews

There's a reason why CBS never brought back Pyramid. It probably ranged from interest in the show to cost to produce. LMAD is very cheap- look at the set, the prizes and the fact that the show is not shot/produced in HD. A show like The Talk brings in the female demo that is consistent with CBS' afternoon programming of soaps/talk shows. Like it or not, The Talk is cheaper to produce than a soap and some game shows, plus it helps to promote other CBS shows as well.

Seriously, with the price of HD cameras these days, I honestly cannot figure out why CBS had cheaped out on upgrading Big Brother and Let's Make a Deal to HD. BB I can understand because of the amount of camera CBS would have tobuy, but LMAD?!? This is like the time when Family Guy went HD AFTER Seth McFarlane's other shows went HD on Fox.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If CBS makes Conan an offer, will TBS match or beat it? Conan's problem was Leno at 10PM dragged down the 11pm news of local stations

If anyone would be able to match any offer CBS makes (assuming they make it), it's going to be TimeWarner. They would be insane to let TBS's 'name' personality leave without so much as a fight.

Haha I'm subscribed to Brian Stelter so I get all of his updates.

I think Stephen was the best and most logical choice. Wonder what Craig's response is though some here stated that he didn't want the 11:35 job.

Wonder what Craig's response is though some here stated that he didn't want the 11:35 job.

I bet you we'll be hearing of a big raise coming his way very soon if he stays at 12:30. A straight job swap could also be intriguing (Colbert to CBS, Ferguson to Comedy Central)

I bet you we'll be hearing of a big raise coming his way very soon if he stays at 12:30. A straight job swap could also be intriguing (Colbert to CBS, Ferguson to Comedy Central)

I can't imagine CraigyFerg on Comedy Central... although it could result in more of an anti-Carson derivative than he currently is capable of doing. Plus I get the impression that Chris Hardwick's social media panel comedy show is being groomed as "The Colbert Report's" replacement (much like the original "The Daily Show" was groomed as "Politically Incorrect's" replacement).

Wow, Les Moonves IS crazy. I'll never watch. Colbert is very condescending and unfunny.

That's his CHARACTER that is faux-condescending. That's not him. It is unlikely (but not impossible) that he will host his new show in the same character.

I can't imagine CraigyFerg on Comedy Central... although it could result in more of an anti-Carson derivative than he currently is capable of doing. Plus I get the impression that Chris Hardwick's social media panel comedy show is being groomed as "The Colbert Report's" replacement (much like the original "The Daily Show" was groomed as "Politically Incorrect's" replacement).

I could totally see Comedy Central having a late night lineup like this by the fall of 2015:

11-11:30 PM The Daily Show

11:30 PM-12 AM Fight to Win the Internet (formerly known as @midnight, title based on the fact that the "winner" of an episode of @midnight is said to have "won the internet")

12-1 AM Anarchy with Craig Ferguson

That's his CHARACTER that is faux-condescending. That's not him. It is unlikely (but not impossible) that he will host his new show in the same character.

That's the thing not many people have seen him out of character.

Stephen Colbert to Succeed David Letterman as Host of ‘The Late Show’

kw6LtD8.png

This is a risk. A pretty big risk for both Colbert and CBS, as Colbert will be himself and not the Stephen Colbert on the Colbert Report. If that makes any sense.

I'm more shocked they had Letterman's replacement SUCCESSOR ready within a week.

It could work, though. Let's see.

kw6LtD8.png

This is a risk. A pretty big risk for both Colbert and CBS, as Colbert will be himself and not the Stephen Colbert on the Colbert Report. If that makes any sense.

I'm more shocked they had Letterman's replacement SUCCESSOR ready within a week.

Let's hope Colbert is as edgy as Ferguson or mid-90s David Letterman.

Am I the only one here that thinks Colbert on CBS will actually workout and will overtake Fallon and NBC?

I don't think he'll beat NBC, but I certainly don't see this as a disaster waiting to happen.

I think it'll do pretty good and quite possibly could overtake Fallon but I'm just not that big on Fallon myself so and Colbert has a massive following. The loser in this to me at least will be Jimmy Kimmel his show just doesn't do it for me anymore so I'm definitely waiting to see how good Stephen is!

Colbert really is the best person for the job in the grand scheme of things. But, I agree on it being a bit of a risk. I think the thinking is he appeals to the young demo and would be old enough still appeal to the slightly older crowd. His current show proves he can draw the younger demo and he is older than either of the two Jimmys. However, He has already stated he will not be doing the Late Show in character. So, That has the potential to alienate his current (young) fan base. And, if he carries over to much of the "antics" he will alienate the older set. It's a little bit Conan 2.0-like, the younger crowd will say "he changed" and the older crowd will complain "he's weird." Hopefully, people give him some time to grow into the show and let it gel. That was one of the issues (amongst many others) Conan had that he really didn't get time to grow. Colbert has the potential to due really well I just think it's going to be a little slow at the outset while he finds his place.

I'm of the opinion that this whole thing has been telegraphed for sometime. What I mean is CBS/ Les Moonves knew Dave was nearing the end of his run several years ago. I believe they have quietly laid the groundwork to execute this move quickly. It's been known (or, rumored) for awhile that CBS / Les coveted Colbert for Dave's chair when the time came. So, something tells me CBS / Colbert (& his agents) had an understanding some time ago. I don't think it's a coincidence all these contracts line up for a move, either. By no means do I think Dave was forced out. I have no doubt it was his call to step aside. But, I do think the timing was choreographed between him and Les. I don't think it's a coincidence this move/announcement comes shortly before upfronts. This allows CBS to promote Dave's last call and Colbert's big debut while stealing some of NBC/Fallon's thunder while he is still just getting going. Whether that was planned from the outset when Dave signed his last deal or, if it was just really a simply phone call between Dave & Les saying "ready to pull the trigger...or, do we need to discuss re-upping?" the timing was purposely chosen as far as I'm concerned. Which to me shows CBS/ Les has had a plan (or, outline of a plan) ready to execute when the time came for awhile now.

That brings me to Craig Ferguson. I don't think CBS / Les is done reshaping late night. As much as it pains me to say it I have this feeling Craig Ferguson might be on his way out as well. All this Chelsea Handler stuff has just coincidently popped up seemingly out of nowhere. First, Her publicly stating she won't return to her show days before Dave's announcement. Then, word comes out Handler & CBS are in talks for a late night show...possibly in the 12:35am slot. I don't think anybody seriously considered Craig to be the successor to Dave. And, I think a good number of people would tell you they got the impression Craig really didn't want Dave's chair anyway. So, why would Handler's name come up for a chair that's not vacant...or, extremely unlikely to become vacant? Again, I think there is something in motion here, too. I don't think Craig is being forced out nor, due I think he is pissed at being "passed over." I'm sure a discussion between Les & Craig at some point came down to "so, you aren't taking Dave's chair. Where does that leave us then?" I think they will mutually part ways when his contract ends (again, coincidently lined up.) Craig will say something like he's "ready to step aside and pursue other projects" and "the timing is right." And, don't forget Craig Ferguson will be hosting the new syndicated game show 'Celebrity Name Game' starting this fall. So, enter Handler to fill the newly vacant Late, Late Show seat. This also has the added benefit for Les of silencing some of the detractors pissed he picked another white male for Dave's chair. It really strikes me as one of those "where there is smoke, there is fire" situations.

Am I the only one here that thinks Colbert on CBS will actually workout and will overtake Fallon and NBC?

I don't think Colbert will overtake Fallon, but I do think he will overtake Kimmel who IMO sucks. I would watch anybody except Kimmel. It only made good sense for either Colbert or Stewart to takeover. Let face it when it all done and said the networks wants those young demos and I still think Letterman is still good, but with those other networks wanting a younger audience. Colbert seems to have con-conquered that a comedy central. Yes CBS is different from the second cousin at Comedy Central, but one things for sure the last decade and half Les Moonves has literally taken CBS from the gutter to #1 while all the other nets are trying to follow suite. CBS has done well in this different broadcast climate.

Wow, Les Moonves IS crazy. I'll never watch. Colbert is very condescending and unfunny.

I happen to think that his satire is brilliant. His condescending persona -- and I underscore persona -- is a actually a really smart parody of radio and TV blowhards a la Bill O'Reilly, who have built their careers on narrow-minded condescension and demagoguery.

I'm wondering, though, if Colbert will take his persona to CBS -- or perhaps transform it into an occasional act? Or maybe drop it altogether and attempt a fresh start?

Indeed.

This story, as of right now, has been the most Stephen has ever truly broken character in public. Judge from it what you will.

For me, it really showed something totally different from his "Stephen Colbert" character. Something that I actually liked.

From February of 1999. Tell me he had developed his character by then? Hell, Stewart wasn't even on 'The Daily Show' yet.

[yt]gMnGG2CnefU[/yt]

Archived