Breaking: Cox/Fox swap stations, KTVU to become Fox O&O

caliwxdude

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wishful thinking. In the case of WHBQ, their newsroom is in need of an overhaul along with the main studio.

Cox is a deep-pocketed, private owner; their media operations are run so differently from publicly traded companies that they probably will shell out the cash to refurbish WHBQ if such is needed.

So then, KICU becomes the new MyNet O&O, and KRON becomes independent. So much for all the folks that wanted Fox to go to KRON.

The same people will now pine for NBC to buy KRON.

Disaffiliating from MyTV also helps KRON, especially with the LIN people ready to take over MG. That station needs a total rebuild from top to bottom.

Another culture clash could revolve around the size of the newsroom. We know that Fox runs tight ships, and so I could see layoffs in San Francisco (and maybe, on the other end, newsroom expansions in Boston and Memphis).

I question about the expansion because i saw a video on YouTube (albeit a few years old) from a WPXI staffer walking in what appeared to be an empty newsroom (and at that time they just moved there.) It's a Cox owned station (I had to look them to see their portfolio.) That station seemed to be (pardon the a-word) automated.

If KRON can poach KTVU personalities and/or viewers, it'd be a big blow to KTVU. Fox needs to ensure that doesn't happen.

actually that might be good for KRON, it would make the market competitive. This coming from someone who lives in a market of just 4 stations to choose from (of course that didn't include WMUR tho.) I'd love to see a KRON comeback.

Would Cox be willing to deal with Entercom for their Boston and Memphis radio clusters? (Entercom's Boston cluster includes Red Sox flagship WEEI-FM/93.7 - who, as WEEI/590, was once co-owned with WFXT by the Boston Celtics - and famed-but-severely-faded talker WRKO/680.)

Also will be interesting to see how, or if, Cox decides to forge new non-O&O identities for WFXT and WHBQ.

Lol. You mean WEEI AM850 right? WRKO is toast, and will be indefinitely toast when their crown jewel PM drive talker Howie Carr likely will go in an online format by this fall. If they want to buy those stations they need new management who knows radio or worked as a radio talent or producer, etc. Someone who knows the craft.

Color me surprised and I mean seriously surprised. Hearing this news and realizing that this type of real estate barely gets on the market, this is almost rarified air for a number one station in a top 5 market.

Someone said that tribune would be willing to get kriv, and maybe Tim can help me out here, i dont see fox really dropping a station its built from the ground up.

This makes the fourth station in a top 10 market to change owners and I didn't think when I joined on this board a decade ago, that ktvu, wfaa, khou and wjla would change ownership and apparently that's the case.

Color me surprised and I mean seriously surprised. Hearing this news and realizing that this type of real estate barely gets on the market, this is almost rarified air for a number one station in a top 5 market.

Someone said that tribune would be willing to get kriv, and maybe Tim can help me out here, i dont see fox really dropping a station its built from the ground up.

This makes the fourth station in a top 10 market to change owners and I didn't think when I joined on this board a decade ago, that ktvu, wfaa, khou and wjla would change ownership and apparently that's the case.

Well WFXT was a station built from the ground up almost 20 years ago, and they sold traded them. If it happened up here, it could happen in Houston or any non flagship/established O&O.

I guess Media General was not selling KRON? WFXT was shocking, but I guess the AFC market is an issue.

What other AFC-only markets does Fox own in?

Houston but until now I doubted that Fox would sell KRIV. With Fox pulling an M. Night Shyamalan in San Francisco, don't rule out Fox trading KRIV and WPWR for KCPQ/KZJO.

Would Cox be willing to deal with Entercom for their Boston and Memphis radio clusters? (Entercom's Boston cluster includes Red Sox flagship WEEI-FM/93.7 - who, as WEEI/590, was once co-owned with WFXT by the Boston Celtics - and famed-but-severely-faded talker WRKO/680.)

I would not be surprised if Cox went after WHBQ-AM and WHBQ-FM after this, the former of which was under the same ownership as the TV station back during the RKO Television days.

Also will be interesting to see how, or if, Cox decides to forge new non-O&O identities for WFXT and WHBQ.

Time will tell, especially considering that Cox will own four Fox stations as a result of this deal (including the two former Newport stations).

DMAs 6 and 7, but still, that is rarefied air when DMAs 1-4 are all network-owned stations; DMAs 5 and 6 have three; and 7, 8 and 10 have two. The largest-market non-O&O (WFAA) was among the sold.

Wishful thinking. In the case of WHBQ, their newsroom is in need of an overhaul along with the main studio.

What should happen is WHBQ does a WPTY/WATN and moves into a new and much larger building with more studio space. Their current building is just not adequate for a modern news operation anymore. However, I don't expect Cox to go that far. That said, I do think Cox sees WHBQ as a worthy investment and as a result some overhaul/refurbishment and just overall more money into that operation will be coming. I think in the long term WHBQ has some life again as Fox's obvious disinterest in Memphis will soon be over. Win win for them I say.

What should happen is WHBQ does a WPTY/WATN and moves into a new and much larger building with more studio space. Their current building is just not adequate for a modern news operation anymore. However, I don't expect Cox to go that far. That said, I do think Cox sees WHBQ as a worthy investment and as a result some overhaul/refurbishment and just overall more money into that operation will be coming. I think in the long term WHBQ has some life again as Fox's obvious disinterest in Memphis will soon be over. Win win for them I say.

The last time Cox made such an investment in new facilities was when WPXI in Pittsburgh moved to its current location. In WPTY/WATN's case, their old building was literally falling apart, and Nexstar was not willing to put a lot of money into doing extensive renovations (instead opting to move all operations into a former telecommunications building).

If Cox sees a need to give WHBQ-TV (and the radio operations should they pursue them next) a newer facility, they will do so and likely donate the existing property to the University of Memphis if that happens (since the station is about a block down across the street from the school).

Here's an interesting snippet: with this sale, if its approved, San Francisco will join a small, exclusive club of television markets that are entirely filled with O&Os: ABC (KGO), NBC (KNTV), CBS (KPIX), FOX (KTVU), The CW (KBCW), Univision (KDTV), and Telemundo (KSTS).

However, to those who say that Fox will leave KTVU alone...I wouldn't count on it. Fox is just as pro-centralization as Gannett, Scripps, etc. They won't make an exception for a Cox station in San Francisco. In a few short years, KTVU will be much like WAGA and WTVT, the old spirit may remain in their news content and (perhaps) a lack of sensationalism, but otherwise, it will be a Fox O&O with regards to everything else: graphics, music, the set, etc.

Oh, and I'm calling it now: myfoxbayarea.com.

The last time Cox made such an investment in new facilities was when WPXI in Pittsburgh moved to its current location. In WPTY/WATN's case, their old building was literally falling apart, and Nexstar was not willing to put a lot of money into doing extensive renovations (instead opting to move all operations into a former telecommunications building).

If Cox sees a need to give WHBQ-TV (and the radio operations should they pursue them next) a newer facility, they will do so and likely donate the existing property to the University of Memphis if that happens (since the station is about a block down across the street from the school).

Yeah, while WHBQ's building is aging and really too small, I doubt it's anywhere near the condition of WPTY's old building before Nexstar came in. If Cox were to pursue the radio stations (obviously speculation right now), that would be the biggest argument in favor of building/moving to new facilities to house them together.

I agree with Hulkie. For years, Cox shot down Fox's offers, and one slow Tuesday in the summer, this happens. It was almost unthinkable. Anyway, I get the sense that once the "Ho Lee Fuk" incident went down at KTVU, they kinda wanted to get out of their Bay Area seat; they were squirming with embarrassment. What about KTVU's facilities? Do they need any upgrading? Fox will update the road sign though; it still has the late 80s/early 90s Fox logo, with the tall searchlights, and no signage for KICU.

Anyway, I get the sense that once the "Ho Lee Fuk" incident went down at KTVU, they kinda wanted to get out of their Bay Area seat; they were squirming with embarrassment.

I highly doubt that of all things finally motivated them to sell off KTVU.

Archived