Breaking: Cox/Fox swap stations, KTVU to become Fox O&O

caliwxdude

Is there any technological synergies between Cox and WFXT? I believe 25 has Chyron for graphics Avid in the edit suites and not sure if they use ENPS or iNews for story writing/rundowns. Oh I find this deal interesting when WFXT had just upgraded to Vinten pedestals for their robotic studio cameras within the last few months too.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Color me surprised and I mean seriously surprised. Hearing this news and realizing that this type of real estate barely gets on the market, this is almost rarified air for a number one station in a top 5 market.

Someone said that tribune would be willing to get kriv, and maybe Tim can help me out here, i dont see fox really dropping a station its built from the ground up.

This makes the fourth station in a top 10 market to change owners and I didn't think when I joined on this board a decade ago, that ktvu, wfaa, khou and wjla would change ownership and apparently that's the case.

I wouldn't say FOX/NewsCorp built it from the ground up. It was one of the Metromedia stations acquired when Murdoch wanted to launch the network. News was already being produced on the station 3 years before the sale to Murdoch.

News was greatly expanded under FOX ownership. The current facilities were built brand new, in 1996/1997.

In this day and age, especially with the ascent of the Seahawks, I can see another trade on the horizon. Who that suitor will be is anyone's guess.

As I mentioned earlier, a swap with Tribune for KCPQ is somewhat problematic given they own a station here already. They wouldn't really be gaining much from the transaction (a duopoly partner with WGN, as others have speculated), except for more overhead with a fully-staffed and established news operation.

To be frank I'm surprised I'm not attending an all hands on deck meeting tomorrow morning (or was called into one today (my day off), prior to the news release).

I think if FOX were really intent on gaining Seattle as quickly as possible, they could have fairly easily rolled it (KIRO) in with the KTVU transaction and traded both Houston and Boston.

Isn't Houston a growing market in the key demo? I've heard about ether Houston or another TX metro growing because for a number of reasons more than their weather is supposedly better than say - Boston - for instance.

It would be crazy for Fox to exit Houston, a) an established station, b ) a flagship O&O for Fox's standards, and c) it's a Top 10 market that would be lucrative for advertisers.

Fox wouldn't want KIRO. It's not part of a duopoly like KCPQ is, and yanking their affiliation from KCPQ would jeopardize their relationship with Tribune, the largest owner of Fox affiliates (by audience reach).

I guess my speculation a while back about a KTVU/WFXT swap was right, kind of, sort of.

Here's my take. The 'Laser 2' is as good as gone; it doesn't fit with the Fox standardization, which KTVU will adopt without much fuss. They'll want KTVU run by people who will make KTVU look and sound like a Fox station; call it a hunch, but KTVU's calm demeanor has probably been a big thorn in the side of Fox's marketing people, and made Fox's desire for a SF O&O that much more passionate (on top of it being in a big NFC market).

As far as content, that will really depend on who Fox brings in to run the place. If it's someone who recognizes KTVU's ratings momentum, they'll change the graphics and music, but leave it at that. There is a good chance, though, that Fox will pick someone who wants to give KTVU that "Fox attitude". That doesn't necessarily mean that they'll make it a GOP mouthpiece like another one of Fox's properties; but they will definately make KTVU's news more sensational, more crime-driven, yadda yadda yadda, it won't be the same station we all know now.

Quite frankly, I couldn't care less about bringing in the standardized graphics and music. That all jumped the shark when they ditched their timeless Michael Randall theme. If they change the news content, though, the joke will be on them.

Well, well, well what do we have here! :o

As much as KTVU/KICU was a crown jewel for Cox, Fox really coveted it. Not only is it a strong news station, it makes lots of money as the home of the 49ers (and two Raiders games a year), and Fox has been wanting into the Bay Area for 20 years or so now. (In 1994, Variety reported that a deal for Fox to purchase KRON was "imminent"!)

I've been saying for a long time Fox wants into SF (& Seattle) badly. But, I'll admit I'm little surprised they finally got Cox to sell/trade though. They must have made one last run at getting Cox to sell/trade and after all these years Cox finally gave in. They must have been able to convince Cox that the KRON threat was real...or, that a cup of KOFY can be had cheap. I don't see any other reason why Cox would have caved.

I actually think there's a strong possibility that Fox will maintain the status quo at KTVU, at least for the foreseeable future. We don't have much history here on which to base speculation—I don't think Fox Television Stations has acquired a station with a legacy and brand as strong as KTVU. Among FTS' recent acquisitions are WJZY (zero brand equity), WOFL (the station had an identity built around an effing palm tree) and KMSP. Of those, you can argue that KMSP had the most established brand, even though it started to erode under the final few years of Chris-Craft ownership—but even that brand (and overall ratings numbers) paled in comparison to KTVU. In all three of those examples, Fox didn't have much to lose by completely rebranding.

There aren't a whole lot of positives that I can see coming from a holistic overhaul of KTVU; rather, the risk of alienating a very loyal viewer base is quite high. KTVU is, for all intents and purposes, the number one station in the market these days. The station is anything but broken, so any attempt to "fix" it would be misguided.

I think you are going to be woefully disappointed. KTVU will eventually fall in line with their O&O brethren.

Another culture clash could revolve around the size of the newsroom. We know that Fox runs tight ships, and so I could see layoffs in San Francisco (and maybe, on the other end, newsroom expansions in Boston and Memphis).

If KRON can poach KTVU personalities and/or viewers, it'd be a big blow to KTVU. Fox needs to ensure that doesn't happen.

You'll see a lot more "non-renewals" rather than layoffs. The majority of the layoffs will be confined to behind the scenes folks.

I question about the expansion because i saw a video on YouTube (albeit a few years old) from a WPXI staffer walking in what appeared to be an empty newsroom (and at that time they just moved there.) It's a Cox owned station (I had to look them to see their portfolio.) That station seemed to be (pardon the a-word) automated.

Umm.. the FTS stations are all pretty well automated. So, I really don't think that's anything to worry about. WFXT will be fine with Cox...if anything it's a "push." I think WHBQ will be much better off with Cox, though.

Yes Houston is one of the fastest growing cities in the us.

And it's quite likely Houston is one of the markets FOX is going to protect, despite it being an AFC football market (again there are a lot of Saints fans that live here).

But if FOX is intent on gaining as many NFC ad dollars as they can, then just about anything is possible.

Well, well, well what do we have here! :o

I've been saying for a long time Fox wants into SF (& Seattle) badly. But, I'll admit I'm little surprised they finally got Cox to sell/trade though. They must have made one last run at getting Cox to sell/trade and after all these years Cox finally gave in. They must have been able to convince Cox that the KRON threat was real...or, that a cup of KOFY can be had cheap. I don't see any other reason why Cox would have caved.

What if Fox went to Cox and said "give KTVU to us or we'll strip it of its Fox affiliation"?

Umm.. the FTS stations are all pretty well automated. So, I really don't think that's anything to worry about. WFXT will be fine with Cox...if anything it's a "push." I think WHBQ will be much better off with Cox, though.

Well WFXT if they are automated, from when I land on 25 - must be seamless compared to other Ignite shops. 25 wouldn't be on the Ignite blooper reel from what I watch.

Yes Houston is one of the fastest growing cities in the us.

And it's quite likely Houston is one of the markets FOX is going to protect, despite it being an AFC football market (again there are a lot of Saints fans that live here).

But if FOX is intent on gaining as many NFC ad dollars as they can, then just about anything is possible.

I thought there was more than NFC on Fox? NASCAR, miniseries of 24? The Simpsons? Fox News Sunday? American Idol?

I feel like I went into 1994 all over again with the tremors of the Big Switch era. I know NFC was important to Fox, but I didn't think in 2014 it cause them to buy/sell stations. Am I missing something?

I think if FOX were really intent on gaining Seattle as quickly as possible, they could have fairly easily rolled it (KIRO) in with the KTVU transaction and traded both Houston and Boston.

They might have tried but, I don't think Cox felt threatened in Seattle. I get the sense they were finally believed that Fox might have a couple legitimate avenues into SF via KRON and/or KOFY. That's another Fox MO we all saw the same strong arm with Capitol that resulted in them acquiring WJZY/WMYT...and they used it in similar deals with Meredith & Clear Channel earlier in the 00's. Fox doesn't have a station they could legitimately buy in Seattle right now. The only way into Seattle is a swap. Unlike in SF where a swap with MG for KRON would have meant the loss of the Fox affiliation for KTVU, That is not the case is Seattle. If Fox swaps with Tribune in Seattle, Cox is unaffected they would still have a CBS outlet. So, they likely didn't feel any pressure to include KIRO.

I kind of think there is some steam to the Fox/Tribune swap anyways. Way too much detail coming out on that for it not to have some legs.

What if Fox went to Cox and said "give KTVU to us or we'll strip it of its Fox affiliation"?

In a way I think that's pretty much what happened. I think it was "Last chance or we'll find our own station...your call."

Hmmm...that's an interesting possibility...

I must say, never once did I ever see this coming. But it's a good deal for both parties.

Well WJZ has a different situation. I don't want to elaborate on this thread, but when its an appropriate time/thread to explain. I'll tell you why I feel that way.

Please start that thread/message me - I would find it fascinating.

I strongly don't think so. And I'm not over-dramatic. They haven't been very good with history. They are highly known for their tabloid-ish looking style, on all of its stations. Their historic "Circle Lazer 2" have been used for damn near 40 years, I strongly doubt it would see its 40th anniversary next year, once Fox gets their hands on it.

Yes, you absolutely are being overdramatic. And no, they probably won't change the 2. I'm pretty sure WTVT has had the same 13 since their CBS days, for one.

Why are you worrying about me stating my stance on the things that I don't like? What's wrong with that? And I'm not going nuts. You must love that "Change Is Good" mantra, as I say "If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It, Change Ain't Always Good".

That mock does looks good, Raymie. But will I would prefer the "Circle Lazer 2" should be left as is. But no telling what Fox would do I'm hope to be proven wrong but I'm expecting the worst.

That pissed me off when KTVU dumped their long time Randall theme for 615's Icon theme, four years ago. The Randall theme had character that resonate the Bay Area. Icon is nothing more than a cousin to WGN's current music.

Yes, your reaction in your first reply was kind of going nuts. It was certainly an overreaction. I don't know why you would have to expect the worst. Fox probably won't mess with the 2.

Looks like KRON will really become an independent station. This is going to be fun.

There's going to be some real change coming to KTVU, which while it has a long, long tradition of news is going to be quite a bit different once Fox puts its stamp on the station. More interesting is that Fox decided to sell in Boston (you knew they wanted out of Memphis but Local TV LLC's ownership of WREG prevented that from happening).

AFC Markets (Patriots) aren't important to them

I hope COX buys some HD field cameras for WFXT (or fix whatever is ruining the PQ on the station's newscasts)... their picture quality looks terrible.

Same for WHBQ. Fox has been woefully behind on upgrading many of their stations to 100% HD.

Yes, you absolutely are being overdramatic. And no, they probably won't change the 2. I'm pretty sure WTVT has had the same 13 since their CBS days, for one.

Well, if you say that I'm overdramatic, that's how you see it. And how do you know they're not going to change the "2" or not? I'm certainly hoping that they're going keep that iconic '75 Circle Laser 2 logo. But you have to realize this is Fox, and they will do anything to make it like the other O&Os.

If any station would have been swap fodder for Fox, I thought it would be WJBK. Funny how this is the second time in the station's history that Fox has given up WFXT (the first time was to the Boston Celtics in 1990)

I wonder if there will be any real branding changes at either station as a result; I could see Fox keeping the status quo for the most part at 'TVU.

Lions are more important than the Patriots

Well, if you say that I'm overdramatic, that's how you see it. And how do you know they're not going to change the "2" or not? I'm certainly hoping that they're going keep that iconic '75 Circle Laser 2 logo. But you have to realize this is Fox, and they will do anything to make it like the other O&Os.

I just realized that no matter whether someone else thinks something will change or not you simply take the opposite position. He suggests they make keep it, you say "I hope so but this is Fox and they will scrap it". I say Scripps will obviously standardize WKBW including getting rid of MC whatever it is and you fight me and question how I know that and tell me it's not a sure thing. So you seem to do this stuff on purpose or perhaps don't understand that you do it. It's tough to discuss things with you because you simply say "that's my position and too bad". It's not really fun to watch someone rant and rave about changes, challenge them in an attempt to discuss their ideas and then be told too bad. I'm saying this in an attempt to get you to understand that discussing ideas is better than "I've stated my stance, go get a mop and clean it up" or whatever the catch-phrase of the week is. It's really aggravating to try to talk to you when you are that rigid and inflexible, if you want to be on a DISCUSSION forum, you should come prepared to DISCUSS, especially when you put out overreactive and off the wall comments that border on rants with little value.

Archived