Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

1 hour ago, norcalTVfan said:

Wow.  It only takes a five-year career to make it to WGN now. They might as well just start recruiting in Laredo or Eureka for that matter.

They're in an adjacent market and WITI was a sister station to them until 2020 (even discounting she came in a year later you don't exactly sever sister station relationships that quickly), so they probably have more than a glancing familiarity with her work. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 11/27/2023 at 7:30 PM, norcalTVfan said:

Wow.  It only takes a five-year career to make it to WGN now. They might as well just start recruiting in Laredo or Eureka for that matter.

I mean... WGN hired a then-newcomer morning meteorologist from Rockford almost eight years ago. She jumped from market #137 to market #3 and I think people criticized that because she wasn't market-ready to go from small market Rockford to big market Chicago.

Today, Morgan Kolkmeyer is one of the best home run decisions WGN made to hire for their morning news program within the past decade. I wouldn't have known her otherwise had she not gone to WGN.

Edited by TheRolyPoly
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

It’s been about 50 days since Skilling’s retirement but Alyssa Donovan has announced that she has been promoted to Midday & 5pm Met

IMG_7113.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Talk about full circle.  It was WGN and Tribune that held out 8 years ago sending The CW on a soul-searching journey in Chicagoland through WPWR and WCIU, and now with Nexstar in charge and in control of the CW, it's back on WGN.

As long as they don't rebrand WGN as CW9.  I don't think the folks at WGN could ever live it down.

I wonder now what WCIU will do with their  current "U" subchannel?  Change it to U-too?

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

As long as they don't rebrand WGN as CW9

With respect, what makes you suggest they would do that? PIX11, KTLA... Evidence that the branding will not be messed with.

If I had to take a gamble, Branding and logo stays the same except for a somewhat awkwardly placed CW logo to the right of the 9... Just like they did in 2006.

I do however look forward to a Paul Konrad WGN Courtesy Desk bit if they do try to mess with rebranding as CW9.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Talk about full circle.  It was WGN and Tribune that held out 8 years ago sending The CW on a soul-searching journey in Chicagoland through WPWR and WCIU, and now with Nexstar in charge and in control of the CW, it's back on WGN.

As long as they don't rebrand WGN as CW9.  I don't think the folks at WGN could ever live it down.

I wonder now what WCIU will do with their  current "U" subchannel?  Change it to U-too?

1. I don't think it's going to be rebranded as CW9, it's stayin' as WGN.

2. The U is probably gonna move to 26.1. 

3. Yes, full circle. 

20 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

We can only hope Nexstar is not that stupid.

But then again, they still have NewsNation as a home for any disgraced journalist.  Is that actually doing better / making more money than WGN America?

The primetime staff probably makes more than the actual channel grifting off Nexstar's national ambitions. They had that Beavis and Butthead skit on SNL and when they highlighted it on air it was pointless because NN is so undefinable and nobody outside PIX Plaza actually remembers it was supposed to be spoofing NN.

But as for WGN, I hope creative just refuses outright to make the entire logo pumpkin orange.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

WPIX and KTLA never went that route. KPLR just rebranded, and they didn’t go that route. I think it’s a safe bet that they won’t mess with what works.

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Is that actually doing better / making more money than WGN America?

Ratings wise, we already know that answer. Moneywise, NN will get the guaranteed political ad buys that WGN-A never did... Does that offset the higher operational costs? Nexstar must believe that it will.

1 hour ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

WPIX and KTLA never went that route. KPLR just rebranded, and they didn’t go that route. I think it’s a safe bet that they won’t mess with what works.

WPIX was branded as CW11 for the first two years of the CW, before going with the more-appropriate PIX 11 branding.

WPIX, KTLA and WGN by themselves (and even St. Louis 11 for KPLR) are stronger brand names in their respective markets. But then again, look what Fox did to KCPQ once they got their hands on that station...it was goodbye Q13 (Fox), hello Fox 13.

Edited by Big Rollo Smokes
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Big Rollo Smokes said:

WPIX was branded as "CW11" for the first two years of the CW, before going with the more-appropriate PIX 11 branding.

Also they were The WB 11 (or something similar) for the whole existence of The WB.

It was after Sam Zell bought Tribune that the CW was deemphasized on all (if not most) of its CW affiliates.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Rollo Smokes said:

WPIX was branded as CW11 for the first two years of the CW, before going with the more-appropriate PIX 11 branding.

I’m aware of that, I live in the market. Point is, they don’t identify that way now, and I don’t think there’s anything indicating that Nexstar is going that route with their legacy stations.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 2
  • Empathetic 1

Given how badly the affiliation base has been degraded and continues to be degraded, Nexstar really needs to stop the Sam Zell-era double standard and impose the network branding on their biggest stations. That absolutely means KRON, KTLA and WGN.

Like, come on. Make it so people know your network actually still exists. Because right now they don't.

Edited by Rusty Muck
  • Like 1